The debate of app vs browser has been done to death, and it's not my intention to start another war of words. I'm putting this up simply to inspire some thought and perspective amongst us, both frequent and infrequent app users. All the talk at the BBWC keynote about "BlackBerry People" and how we use our devices, was what got me thinking.

As BlackBerry users, we value the efficiency the platform offers: the ability to just "git er done" with minimal fuss and time. We say that things like the LED, keyboard, push email, integrated menus etc all contribute to this efficiency.

I was on my phone and tablets earlier today doing a few work related things on Evernote, paid some bills, read some news, Twitter etc., all through dedicated apps. Then it struck me that while I could easily do the exact same things through the web browser, using the app was just simply more efficient. No looking at ads, having content that's optimized for the smaller screen so no missing touch points or having to pinch zoom out then touch a link, no waiting for website graphics to load up or encountering a site that isn't fully compatible with a mobile browser. Just opening the app, doing what you need to do, and exiting. No messing around. Efficient, quick, done.

Since we value efficiency so much, shouldn't we embrace apps on the BlackBerry platform, rather than cling to the line "You don't need an app, you can do it through the browser" (Which really was Balsillie's answer to why BlackBerries don't have more apps, and also the line they gave when the PlayBook first launched without native email)?
    05-03-12 10:51 PM
    I believe in options, and both have their purposes. There are definitely some things that an app is preferable for, especially if one steps into a low signal area for a while.

I think we need those choices, because the web alone doesn't always get it done as effectively as an app can. I was one that bought into the argument before, that an app wasn't necessary. I've since changed my view on that.
    05-03-12 11:12 PM
    I don't think anyone would argue that apps are bad. The point is just that with the power of the PB browser, apps aren't completely necessary. The truth is we all wish the PlayBook had every app that exists. But the same truth is that most of those apps aren't needed and in a lot of cases, the website is actually better and more complete than the app would be.
    05-03-12 11:12 PM

Since we value efficiency so much, shouldn't we embrace apps on the BlackBerry platform, rather than cling to the line "You don't need an app, you can do it through the browser" (Which really was Balsillie's answer to why BlackBerries don't have more apps, and also the line they gave when the PlayBook first launched without native email)?
    In the early days and months of the BlackBerry PlayBook web browser made up for much of the lack of applications and served admirably in this role. As the tablet matures it is natural to gravitate towards task-specific applications.

I value the BlackBerry Bridge as the single most important "application enhancer" to integrate the BlackBerry smartphone and tablet even in these days of increasing application availability. To your point, native applications have a role in the tablet market. However, the fact Apple iPads need a special application to stream television broadcasts, for example, proves the BlackBerry PlayBook web browser more than capable of replacing applications in certain circumstances.
    05-03-12 11:29 PM
    I don't know where you get the idea that we're not embracing the apps, and Jim is gone. With that said, apps that I use maybe a few times a week are not one of the main reasons why I think BlackBerrys are efficient.
    05-03-12 11:40 PM
    I don't know where you get the idea that we're not embracing the apps, and Jim is gone. With that said, apps that I use maybe a few times a week are not one of the main reasons why I think BlackBerrys are efficient.
    I don't mean to say no one here embraces apps, but when you browse around CB, it's hard not to notice a very vocal number of users here that say something along the lines of "why would you need an app, when you can do that on the browser".
    05-04-12 12:02 AM
    Current BlackBerry doesn't have a lot of apps because it was a terrible and outdated platform to develop for. Same thing with symbian. So, switch to BB10 will help rim. Lots of companies are moving to Web apps in html5 anyways, and so the browser versus app debate will go away in the future....
    Deu2e likes this.
    05-04-12 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD