I am a Verizon Wireless customer and the phone I have right now is an enV2 and I really really want a BlackBerry I have never had any other smart phone before so any BlackBerry would be a HUGE upgrade but I am choosing between two: the new BlackBerry Curve 8530 that just came out today and the Blackberry Storm 2.

I really dont need a fancy phone, I use it mainly to talk on the phone and text and I imagine once I get it I will use it to go on the internet and check email. And probably heavy use on apps like Twitter, Facebook, etc.

I just cant decide between the two and I know that the curve just came out today so not a lot of users have it but I imagine it to be just like the 8520 or any other curve. Basically should I go with the touchscreen or not? Im nervous to do touchscreen and I think I am leaning more towards the curve...
    11-20-09 08:28 PM
    If you want the touch screen then the storm 2 is obvious. I think you should consider the tour though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 08:31 PM
    I guess I should have worded it differently

Do you think that a touchscreen Storm is better than a physical keyboard Curve fora first time BB user?

I was considering the Tour but its such an expensive phone and I dont think that I need all that on a phone I am only 19 I dont use it for business or anything/
    11-20-09 09:06 PM
    Nope! I prefer a physical keyboard. And that's the thing. Its all preference. Go to vzw and play with them in person. I don't use my phone for business either but it sure is nice to have all the features. Since price is an issue, get the curve.

11-20-09 09:11 PM
    The tour all the way!

11-20-09 09:15 PM
    Curve! You will love it!
    11-20-09 09:20 PM
    Going from a keypad to a touchscreen keyboard is more then just a physical switch. Your mind is use to pressing something, and yes Sure press does kind of give that feel it's still different. I personaly perfer it now to a physical keyboard and others feel the same. Of course, for everybody who likes it, there are plunty that don't so as Dragonsamus said, go to the store and try it out.

Let it also be said, I'm one of them nuts who has and loves his Storm 1 (Storm classic???). So there are proabably a few here who think i'm off my rocker to begin with. But really I like the over all screen size that's allowed with a virurtal keyboard. I to am not a business user, I use the extra real estate for surfing, and watching videos.

Just my 2cents.
    11-20-09 09:26 PM
    It sounds like the Curve is tailor made for you if you are into Qwerty on the cheap. If you don't have the need for a powerhouse device, that's a smart move.

11-20-09 09:39 PM
    There are huge advantages to both types of phones. I personally am an ATT customer, so I have never had the decision to make about touchscreen or no touchscreen. I have been a curve user for many years and a few months ago upgraded to the bold 9000. I would say, weigh your uses: are you going to be doing 10k messages per month over sms and email? Or are you just going to be web browsing and playing games and using it for more of a "time killer". If more messaging is going to be done then I would say go with the curve or tour. If more web browsing and video etc etc then I would def go for the storm 2.
    Personally, I do about 5-6k emails and sms per month and I still would love the chance to check out a "storm 2 type" bb if they were to come out with one for att.

Just my 2cents. Hope it helps.

11-20-09 09:42 PM
    Thanks for all of the replies everyone! I am going to the VZW store in a few days to test them out.
    11-21-09 05:35 PM
    I would definetly suggest you go to the store and check out the phones and see which one feels good in your hands and will work for you.
    11-21-09 05:53 PM
    Curve 8530 and storm2 both have 3g and wifi enabled which are both thumbs up. After playing with touchscreen vs qwerty/trackpad, you'll be choosing between two nifty devices.

The tour is cool and all, similar to bold series (which I loved) but you'll just be paying more for a higher res display, slightly better camera, no wifi (thumbs down) and a soon to be antiquated "trackball" which is being phased out of newer devices...unless you wait until early next year to get the new Tour2 aka "Essex" which should be the latest and greatest physical keyboard flagship on verizon.

Ohh the waiting games we are forced to play...

11-21-09 07:25 PM
    9700 would be my suggestion

11-21-09 07:37 PM
    Curve 8530 and storm2 , I agree.. Nice phones..
    11-21-09 08:37 PM
    Go into a Verizon store and check out how the Curve 8530 and Tour keypads feel. I would go with the Tour or the Storm 2. But the Curve 8530's trackpad is amazing.
    11-21-09 09:42 PM
    Being that you have never been a bb user before, I think you will adapt very quick to your new phone either way you go even with a touch screen because the env2 is sooodifferent from a bb in all respects.

I say give the Tour a look. 8530 is bare bones and you can get a little more out of a Tour. Only negative is that there is no wifi, but to some people that doesn't matter.
    11-21-09 10:44 PM
    if you prefer touchscreen ..go for the S2 ..otherwise the TOUR..
    11-23-09 11:43 AM
    The Blackberry Curve has always worked for me (I have the 8330, older one). I run a business and it has everything I need for it to keep me organized and productive. In your case, it seems as though you are looking for a device to play on. For facebook and internet browsing, maybe the Storm would work for you because of the better viewing on the bigger screen. Games would probably look better on it. it would also be a nicer phone for you to show off to your friends. As far as the QWERTY keyboard goes, I can honestly say that my 8330 has served me well, and I can only imagine how much better the 8530 is with more memory and that nice trackpad.
    11-23-09 12:10 PM
    You all were right, I went to the VZW store and played with all of them and I have decided to go with the Curve 8530 the purple color is so much more vibrant in person as well! I liked the Storm 2 bc the bigger screen, but I was typing so slow on the touchscreen. The Tour was amazing, I really like it but I have heard horror stories about the trackball and it is much more expensive so I am just going to get the Cruve 8530 for wifi and the physical keyboard!

Thanks again for all of the replies and helping me make my decision!
    11-23-09 05:01 PM
    I have had the Curve, storm and now tour and I would say all had their pros and cons however I would say that the best I have had is the tour.
    11-23-09 09:43 PM
    I'm biased towards keyboard berries. I say get the curve or the tour 2 if you can wait.

11-23-09 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD