"Those who value technology purposefully built for enhancing productivity"

So that means us right? I'd like to see how BlackBerry would adjust their marketing efforts toward this.

Posted via CB10
    Sound like the people who bought the playbook. Oh wait, I guess not.
    Last edited by jcsf123; 09-24-13 at 12:15 PM. Reason: gramatical
    h20work, mikeo007 and Blacklatino like this.
    09-24-13 11:07 AM
    Piracy on android apk files happen even before BlackBerry allows sideload.
    I know for a fact that a search in google for any android apps and you will find hundreds of websites hosting apk files for download. And most are supposedly 'paid' apps.
    I know many of my android friends who download 'riptide gp' and such with cheat codes.
    How does google help developers by not monitoring all their apps that was downloaded on androids thru 'untrusted source'?

Lol at blaming BlackBerry for allowing sideloads.
    Even when the house owner himself allows every android to download from outside source.
    09-24-13 11:10 AM
    How is iOS or Android less productive?

Or how is BB10 more enhanced and better equipped for being productive...
    You got something wrong, the question is "how is Android less productive?", because iOS is less productive*.

*according to Joshua Topolsky, check out his rant about iOS7 in the Vergecast #094, it is a pleasure to listen.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 11:11 AM
    Sure, but to answer Zed's question, for me it's the multi-tasking, the streamlined experience of not having to switch between apps, the better typing experience, better life, etc.

The lack of a distracting ecosystem kind of helps to, although it hurts more then it helps, kinda weird.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry to break your heart, but BlackBerry with their delays and time wasting have lost the title championship for multitasking. Just helped my cousin update his iPad to iOS7, just updating his iPhone now, and now Apple has true multi-tasking for real, 4 finger swipe to next app and swipe up to close apps, and does it effortlessly! For the first time I'm liking the iPad/iPhone, but I'm just a qwerty fella and for now there's no contender.......for now!! Doen't matter who they copied, as far as Apple fans are concerned, Apple came out with something new!
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    09-24-13 11:12 AM
    Prosumer is a portmanteau formed by contracting either the word professional or, less often, producer with the word consumer. For example, a prosumer grade digital camera is a "cross" between consumer grade and professional grade.

The term has also taken on multiple meanings in business and economics: the business sector sees the prosumer (professional�consumer) as a market segment, whereas economists see the prosumer (producer�consumer) as having greater independence from the mainstream economy. These differing meanings often describe the same people; consumers unusually interested in the products. It can also be used to differentiate the traditional passive consumer with an active consumer role more involved in the process, such as activity in the design or customization of the end product.
    09-24-13 11:15 AM
    "Those who value technology purposefully built for enhancing productivity"

So that means us right? I'd like to see how BlackBerry would adjust their marketing efforts toward this.

Posted via CB10
    Prosumer is a portmanteau formed by contracting either the word professional or, less often, producer with the word consumer. For example, a prosumer grade digital camera is a "cross" between consumer grade and professional grade.

The term has also taken on multiple meanings in business and economics: the business sector sees the prosumer (professional�consumer) as a market segment, whereas economists see the prosumer (producer�consumer) as having greater independence from the mainstream economy. These differing meanings often describe the same people; consumers unusually interested in the products. It can also be used to differentiate the traditional passive consumer with an active consumer role more involved in the process, such as activity in the design or customization of the end product.
    09-24-13 11:16 AM

Anytime I see my friend talk about iOS calendar use to manage 30+ people medical ward, he is definitely using various adjectives, except for "productive". And that is a basic feature, a calendar.
    09-24-13 11:17 AM
    Wrong thread. LOL.
    09-24-13 11:19 AM
    In your view can you expand on:

Multi-tasking VS Android / iOS
    Streamlined experience VS Android / iOS
    App switching VS Android / iOS
    Keyboard VS Android / iOS
    Battery life (usage of phone/media etc) VS Android / iOS

From my own experiences, BB10 doesn't exceed in comparison, but in all fairness, it does do it "differently", which, for some... is "better for them", not to be confused with "better" such as Apple doing the mp3 player "better" (iPod & iTunes).
    I only have experience on a Nexus device and I agree that BlackBerry does it differently but for me, the difference/experience was better with BlackBerry. I would be hard pressed giving you a point by point explanation but I can tell you about one point. There is much too much Google related connectivity with the Nexus for my personal taste. It feels more invasive and much less secure. I know that is subjective but using the device and having all the Google/Facebook connectivity was a concern for me. As I said, it's personal taste rather than functional, though I do like the BlackBerry OS and keyboard much better as well.

You know in many ways, these discussions are a lot like discussing cars. All cars have the same basic structure but there are enough differences to make personal choice the deciding factor. Doesn't make one necessarily better than another, just different tastes and choices out there.

Posted via CB10
    It's a professional consumer. Nothing more...you guys read into it too much.

"@MichaelClewley: the word is professional consumer,It can range from a business owner to BOYD user."

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    pantlesspenguin and shupor like this.
    4 finger swipe to next app
    you have to use four fingers to swipe? how do you do that with one hand, in which you are holding the phone? ridiculous....
    shupor likes this.
    09-24-13 11:20 AM
    It's a professional consumer. Nothing more...you guys read into it too much.

"@MichaelClewley: the word is professional consumer,It can range from a business owner to BOYD user."

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    Exactly, and as such, still looks like loads of support in terms of OS updates and apps, right? I am a business owner, thus a consumer/prosumer.
    09-24-13 11:24 AM
    In your view can you expand on:

Multi-tasking VS Android / iOS
    Streamlined experience VS Android / iOS
    App switching VS Android / iOS
    Keyboard VS Android / iOS
    Battery life (usage of phone/media etc) VS Android / iOS

From my own experiences, BB10 doesn't exceed in comparison, but in all fairness, it does do it "differently", which, for some... is "better for them", not to be confused with "better" such as Apple doing the mp3 player "better" (iPod & iTunes).
    Are you saying that Apple makes a better MP3 player than say, Creative or Sandisk? If so, I have to disagree with you on this. I think that there is agreement that the iPod is different, but I will call my Creative Zen Vision: M better than an iPod Classic any day.

Edit: I'm making the comparison based on when the Zen Vision: M first came out. This device is no longer made and current iPod Classic devices have more memory now than an old Zen Vision: M, so a current comparison wouldn't be fair.
    09-24-13 11:32 AM
    I was arguing against "all apps=more productivity", by saying a big part of the available apps (on all markets) are not productive in a business or social sense. Of course you do not have to use them, but if you ignore those apps even the Android and iPhone markets will seem a lot smaller. They are still much better than BBWorld, but a lot of people here act like 100% of those apps are useful; they are not.
    BB10 still has a long way to go on the business-side, I think and hope they have the experience to make at least that transition work, as they have done it before.
    While true on doesn't have to have or use those apps. On the other hand how many business apps that are in use on other platforms does the tool have?
    It has been said above, the definition for "prosumer" is not that difficult. With all the BB news lately a lot of people just can not stop speculating, and they are making it sound more mysterious than it is.
    09-24-13 11:36 AM
    I was arguing against "all apps=more productivity", by saying a big part of the available apps (on all markets) are not productive in a business or social sense. Of course you do not have to use them, but if you ignore those apps even the Android and iPhone markets will seem a lot smaller. They are still much better than BBWorld, but a lot of people here act like 100% of those apps are useful; they are not.
    BB10 still has a long way to go on the business-side, I think and hope they have the experience to make at least that transition work, as they have done it before.
    It has been said above, the definition for "prosumer" is not that difficult. With all the BB news lately a lot of people just can not stop speculating, and they are making it sound more mysterious than it is.
    The gap for me, in apps, is in single digits. That is, less than 10 that are not on BB10. It's not about the quantity, it's the quality. These apps make me productive in a way that is impossible on BB10, and my situation is far from unique.
    mset, igor10000 and scorpiodsu like this.
    09-24-13 11:45 AM
    Exactly, and as such, still looks like loads of support in terms of OS updates and apps, right? I am a business owner, thus a consumer/prosumer.
    Exactly.

But that still covers a lot of people, including those also using iPhones and Samsungs.

In my office alone (an architectural firm, and that's fairly "professonal"), it is pretty much evenly split between iPhone and Samsung users (I'm the sole BlackBerry user). We even have our own project management software company, and have a linked iPhone app for it.

This is what BlackBerry is up against. This "prosumer" niche is actually quite big, and already filled by the same "consumer" products.

It's going to come down to... well... marketing.

And we've seen how good they are at that.

Posted via CB10
    igor10000 likes this.
    09-24-13 11:59 AM
    Are you saying that Apple makes a better MP3 player than say, Creative or Sandisk? If so, I have to disagree with you on this. I think that there is agreement that the iPod is different, but I will call my Creative Zen Vision: M better than an iPod Classic any day.

Edit: I'm making the comparison based on when the Zen Vision: M first came out. This device is no longer made and current iPod Classic devices have more memory now than an old Zen Vision: M, so a current comparison wouldn't be fair.
    You're comparing something that is over six years old. What value does that have when new devices are released yearly?
    09-24-13 12:03 PM
    I'm sorry to break your heart, but BlackBerry with their delays and time wasting have lost the title championship for multitasking. Just helped my cousin update his iPad to iOS7, just updating his iPhone now, and now Apple has true multi-tasking for real, 4 finger swipe to next app and swipe up to close apps, and does it effortlessly! For the first time I'm liking the iPad/iPhone, but I'm just a qwerty fella and for now there's no contender.......for now!! Doen't matter who they copied, as far as Apple fans are concerned, Apple came out with something new!
    First of all, I have an iPad with OS7 inside and z10 in 10.2. I really disagree on how you say "Apple has true multitasking" and "Apple came out with something new".. it's just wrong.... The new multitasking system on iOS 7 is just the multitasking in iOS 6, with revamped UI, for example, if you minimise an app long enough, and you try to open it, it will REOPEN the app... that's just the same with iOS7, whereas on BB10, you just simply minimising and MAXIMISING the app, seamlessly... see the difference here? and all that "NEW" thing apple offer in iOS 7, they just borrowed it from WebOS... So, there's really nothing like "Apple came out with something new here" argument...
    End of story
    09-24-13 12:09 PM
    Given the context, I would take "prosumer" to mean individuals who don't necessarily work for enterprises, but still work in the verticals BlackBerry will be targeting: finance, gov't, defense, etc.

While going private through Fairfax might be a better outcome for CrackBerry fans than having BBRY sold for parts, they should not delude themselves into thinking that "prosumer" refers to users just like them. For example, this is not the same as a general consumer liking and buying ThinkPads even though Lenovo targets and predominately sells ThinkPads to enterprises.

Any stated desire by BBRY to exit the consumer space will further reduce developer interest and the viability of BBRY products for the average CrackBerry user. The reduction from 6 to 4 handsets might be an objectively good move regardless, but it also could be the first step towards exiting hardware altogether. If hardware lines do remain, then they likely will be very niche products targeted at only the most security-conscious industries. They might not be as niche as the General Dynamics Sectera phones, but they likely will not be viable among consumers like the current BB 10 devices or BBOS phones are. One thing that might change that is if BB 10 is abandoned for Android or Windows Phone.
    mset likes this.
    09-24-13 12:10 PM

The term has also taken on multiple meanings in business and economics: the business sector sees the prosumer (professional–consumer) as a market segment, whereas economists see the prosumer (producer–consumer) as having greater independence from the mainstream economy. These differing meanings often describe the same people; consumers unusually interested in the products. It can also be used to differentiate the traditional passive consumer with an active consumer role more involved in the process, such as activity in the design or customization of the end product.
    Well, I'm glad we have that cleared that up.
    09-24-13 12:19 PM

The term has also taken on multiple meanings in business and economics: the business sector sees the prosumer (professional–consumer) as a market segment, whereas economists see the prosumer (producer–consumer) as having greater independence from the mainstream economy. These differing meanings often describe the same people; consumers unusually interested in the products. It can also be used to differentiate the traditional passive consumer with an active consumer role more involved in the process, such as activity in the design or customization of the end product.
    Just cause repeating ones post appears to be a trend here???? Well, I'm glad we have that cleared that up.
    09-24-13 12:20 PM

Those platforms are way less secure. The ifone's fingerprint unlock thing has already been hacked. Android is easily defeated with Cellebrite equipment, so that's not much better. So, unless you consider having your data, passwords, emails, etc. stolen productive, you should stay away from those two inferior platforms.
    09-24-13 12:26 PM
    On behalf of the entire world (market)... Yes.
    09-24-13 12:35 PM
    Those platforms are way less secure. The ifone's fingerprint unlock thing has already been hacked. Android is easily defeated with Cellebrite equipment, so that's not much better. So, unless you consider having your data, passwords, emails, etc. stolen productive, you should stay away from those two inferior platforms.
    LOL
    09-24-13 12:38 PM
    Fingerprint is quite a convenient way to unlock the phone, there's a whole thread (backlash) on it due to Crackberry Kevin tweeting so.

Apple's Fingerprint sensor never claims to be enterprise worthy secure, they literally just launched it a few days a go, it will take refinement and updates and developers will eventually get API's to incorporate it in the future (banking apps, payments, accessing secure content), when it becomes hack proof, I guess it will become certified FIPS, BIPS, HIPS, Military etc etc

^ Til then, its a "nice" way of unlocking your phone rather than entering a pin.

Unless your on a BES10 server, which majority are NOT, ALLLLL your data is UNSECURE, why people assume cause they have a Blackberry and use Outlook.com or Twitter etc etc, that there emails cannot be read, or your data that goes through a carrier cannot be intercepted, is ... beyond... me.

Now if you WANT enterprise security on an iPhone / Android, BES10 can be used to manage these devices. (Secure Work Space)
    09-24-13 12:41 PM
275 1234 ...