I am a pretty technically inclined person in general, but at the same time I'm currently a newbie to some of the finer points of the smartphone universe. I'm obviously capable of manipulating settings and so forth, but some of the mobile oriented things are still yet foreign to me.

When I first bought my Blackberry I was told I could operate it all of its files in mass storage mode. Obviously I have come to find that only the media utilizes the mass storage option. My problem, then, is thus: I'm stuck using the media manager backup software (which is irritating although acceptable), but even in using that I cannot view or associate the information in such a way that I can view it or manipulate it in my computer (Running both Ubuntu and Windows XP on seperate partitions).

First off. Is there any way to back up the information that doesn't require BB's own media manager (not super important but the next item is). Secondly, what are the filetypes of the information on the BB and what sorts of software could I possibly associate the information with on the PC so that I can actually manipulate the info on both ends, and also so that way I have an independantly operable backup of my data. (For example: I would like to have the address book on my BB be able to be read or possibly synchronized with/by software in my PC).

I have backed up the information, but I don't like feeling dependant upon having the phone to put the information on just to be able to access the data... Thanks in advance for any useful information.
    05-26-09 12:19 AM
    1) You can back up your information such as PDF files, Word, Excel by just easily click and drag from your media card to your hard drive and vice versa.

2) Software needed to view on your phone, would be Docs2Go or something similar which you can find at the CrackBerry store.
    05-26-09 12:34 AM
    You can sync your address book on your BB with Outlook or Outlook Express on your PC.

You can also use Google Sync for wireless sync with your online Google Calendar/Contacts.
    05-26-09 12:38 AM
    You can sync your address book on your BB with Outlook or Outlook Express on your PC.

You can also use Google Sync for wireless sync with your online Google Calendar/Contacts.
    Yeah, but is there something other than Outlook I can use? And is there any way i can view my notepad and so forth also (or is it better to just make word documents at this point in the game and nix my notepad usage altogether)? The Google idea is nice but I want the information stored on my end not on a "foreign" server. Does anybody know if OpenOffice has an "Outlook" program that the BB can sync to or something of the like?

Thanks for the responses also!
    05-26-09 12:47 AM
    Outlook will sync your contacts (address book), calendar and the Notes or Memos.

After that you need third party tools. Docs to go requires manual copying back and forth of docs, spreadsheets and powerpoint.

There is a program that can read the DM backup files, ABC-something (escapes me this early a.m.)
    05-26-09 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD