This is the kind of stuff being repeated daily all across North America. In a segment titled "trending now" on one of the most watched morning news shows in British Columbia there is an obvious apple love affair even in the face of the main talking head's devotion to her blackberry. In fact, I believe that most if not all of the newscasters on this show favour blackberrys yet there is a constant shilling for apple.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANVN2RMH8Wc[/YT]
    08-15-12 12:11 AM
    This is the kind of stuff being repeated daily all across North America.

In a segment titled "trending now" on one of the most watched morning news shows in British Columbia there is an obvious apple love affair even in the face of the main talking head's devotion to her blackberry.
    It's morning show banter and the iPhone bit preceded a talk about popular tweets... lol.

She never says she's devoted. She says she's undecided and he says the iPhone is better. And he's a former BB user like plenty of other iPhone owners.

Also, you can tell the show is tongue in cheek about the whole thing as it lists his title as 'Apple Youth Corps.'

In fact, I believe that most if not all of the newscasters on this show favour blackberrys yet there is a constant shilling for apple.
    What is 'constant shilling?' Peter Meiszner and the announcers poke fun at BB, but whose fault is that? BB's products aren't compelling for most people. Does reporting BB's falling North American market-share numbers count as shilling?
    08-15-12 12:53 AM
    That face deals thing is pretty creepy also.

Hate when people say iphone is soo much better. Liking something is all subjective.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    08-15-12 12:56 AM
    It is not about war. Why go to war? It is about service provision. I agree that in any service delivery industry, there is competition but not war. BB is still being appreciated all over the world.

If you don't like a device move to another. The company losing customers are intelligent too they know what to do. I personally appreciate all of them because they part of history and they are creative. Years back, no phone and life was more difficult. Thanks to RIM, nokia,... for producing cheaper phones for developing economies.

RIM is not fighting any war. Infact, RIM is winning

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    08-15-12 01:24 AM
    That guy's title says that he's in the Apple Youth Corps, so of course he's going to be freaking out about the iPhone 5. It's the world's most popular phone, coming out in a month, and for ratings I'm sure that news program decided to tease their viewers with something like "Tomorrow, News on Apple's iPhone 5." I thought it was pretty cool of the host to mention her BlackBerry and have it on the table the entire time.

The difference between Apple and RIM is that RIM would probably never even have something like that, a BlackBerry Youth Corps. I've heard that they have university ambassadors, at different colleges, but only because my friend suggested that I try to bring the program to wherever I transfer to next year.

I wouldn't say that this is a losing war, and unless RIM released ONE phone a year, like Apple, I just don't see the same kind of crazed hype and anticipation happening (at least until BlackBerry 10 gets popular). I for one, hate how Apple releases one phone a year, and am glad I'm not into the iPhone, because I know that would drive me crazy. RIM also needs help with getting in touch with the "youth." It has never been what they've gone after, and I hope that changes.

I swear, all they need to do is to get Facebook to develop an Instagram application for BlackBerry 10 devices and the PlayBook, and that would do WONDERS for their youth problem. Snap Chat also seems to be picking up steam. It's an app where you can send someone a picture, but they can't save it, and it deletes after a certain number of seconds. I don't have it, but I'm pretty sure it's used for sexting haha.

Another "COOL" thing that would get the attention of the youth would be to somehow get the cross platform IM client Kik to be integrated into BBM. I know BBM uses RIM's servers and I'm sure it's not as simple as me suggesting the idea, but if I remember correctly, Kik's founders worked on BBM first, and then RIM sued them.
    If people found out that they could BBM and then click on a contact with an iPhone or Android that has Kik and chat with them..that would be HUGE.
    08-15-12 03:07 AM
    Errrr..., I have a little confession to make: I photo-shopped the "apple youth corps" bit into the video (notice that I got lazy and covered up the clock). The whole thing was supposed to be a little tongue in cheek. However two points become clear watching this "newscast/morning-show" on a daily basis: 1st - the majority of the talking heads on the show use blackberrys and LIKE them, and 2nd - the trending now segments are more often than not blatant apple promos.
    08-15-12 08:22 AM
    Errrr..., I have a little confession to make: I photo-shopped the "apple youth corps" bit into the video (notice that I got lazy and covered up the clock). The whole thing was supposed to be a little tongue in cheek. However two points become clear watching this "newscast/morning-show" on a daily basis: 1st - the majority of the talking heads on the show use blackberrys and LIKE them, and 2nd - the trending now segments are more often than not blatant apple promos.
    1) You complain about bias and shilling while at the same time (and undisclosed until now) Photoshop in your point of view in a blatant attempt to make the commentator something he is not. Now, really, whose credibility do you think is more questionable.

2) "Trending now" - What part of this do you not get. Apple is releasing a "new" device soon and RIM is not. Do you really expect them to spend time on a subject that will have no bearing on the current state of mobile communication or in any way address the buying concerns of their viewers.

I am sure I am not the only one who notices but it seems a lot of folks here go out of their way to find things in the media relative to RIM as a company and BlackBerry as a brand to get unnecessarily upset over.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 08-15-12 at 08:38 AM.
    Sith_Apprentice and reeneebob like this.
    08-15-12 08:34 AM
    AG, "APPLE YOUTH CORPS"? I thought it was obvious (blatant, even) and would cause a chuckle or two. Watching this show almost every morning with my coffee, I stand by my two points.

The problem with forums is that attempts at humour or satire can go unrecognized without obvious labels (winking smilieys for instance) that would ruin the whole thing.

Finally, I am not upset at all. I only get upset over important things. Cheers.
    08-15-12 08:52 AM
    AG, "APPLE YOUTH CORPS"? I thought it was obvious (blatant, even) and would cause a chuckle or two. Watching this show almost every morning with my coffee, I stand by my two points.

The problem with forums is that attempts at humour or satire can go unrecognized without obvious labels (winking smilieys for instance) that would ruin the whole thing.

Finally, I am not upset at all. I only get upset over important things. Cheers.
    OK, even granting your attempt at humor (Lord knows I have had several failures in that regard) why frame this as a "war?" Why is it necessary to characterize the commentators as Apple shills? They may not hold your, or the majority of our point(s) of view but demonizing people with other opinions is always bad form. Way too much of that around here lately.

Of course, I may just need more coffee
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 08-15-12 at 09:01 AM.
    08-15-12 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD