View Poll Results: Do you believe there should be rules of BlackBerry etiquette/use?

Voters
740. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

358 48.38%
  • No

183 24.73%
  • Maybe

199 26.89%
12-29-07 01:43 AM
721 ... 26272829
tools
    The rudest bb users are those who are out shopping or in public places and get in the way (physically) because there heads are glued to the screen. I just give them a nice bump and let them know that my new Curve is hotter.
    12-27-07 09:25 AM
    I think the rudest crackberry user i've witnessed was a guy that used sexual inuendo that was uncomfortable. I'm a easy going guy but this user just went over the limit with his bad taste in sex jokes and substituting blackberry lingo. Of course I can't go into detail because of the content so I can't give any for instances but I think when you talk on your crackberry there is witty lingo that's cool and other lingo that just rude.
    Last edited by chronos; 12-27-07 at 11:40 AM.
    12-27-07 09:26 AM
    I can honestly say I havent met a rude Crackberry user yet. All the ones I met are friendly and helpful. This is including through the forums and out in the world. I'm sure there are some rude ones out there but so far Ive been lucky not to run into them.
    12-27-07 10:07 AM
    Everyone should know the correct time to put the berry down even though it is difficult to do so

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-07 11:03 AM
    More of an overall observation than a specific example but...never, ever drunk message on your BB! :-)
    12-27-07 11:27 AM
    I guess by "favorite" you mean most rude.
    I think that would have to be the time a guy was using his blackberry while he was interviewing me for a job. Not very professional...
    (Job was offered, not taken.)
    12-27-07 11:42 AM
    there should probably be etiquette but who would establish rules and what would the punishment be for violating? Hmmm.
    12-27-07 11:54 AM
    Same rules as with cell phones in movie theaters...
    12-27-07 12:48 PM
    I think the number one etiquette for any phone (more so for us crackberry users) should be to either put the call on hold or hang up just before you walk into an obvious socializing situation such as a cashier's desk or as your server walks up to your table.
    12-27-07 01:06 PM
    Just like standard cells, there are times it's impolite to whip it out...
    12-27-07 01:09 PM
    I think manners and etiquette should be applied to every social situation, not just Blackberry use.
    12-27-07 01:41 PM
    Just yesterday, boxing day, I sat in a mall with a user on a BT headset... now yes It's handfree, but this gentleman was purposefully being as loud as possible, just to make it clear he was some corporate big shot in the store line up..

No one really cared, We just tuned him out
    12-27-07 01:58 PM
    Driving down the road is a bad time to use it.

Not saying I don't, but that and when your wife is talking to you are about the only times I can say would be no nos as far as using it.
    12-27-07 02:47 PM
    Talking while standing in line, driving, movies.
    12-27-07 03:02 PM
    At Certain Times
    12-27-07 03:20 PM
    I think that BB's shouldnt be used at the movies or at funerals or anywhere thats not ment to be used
    12-27-07 03:27 PM
    I always have my BB at my downstair half bath.
    12-27-07 06:43 PM
    I believe there's proper phone use in general, not just with a BlackBerry. I don't use my phone, unless important, around other people, and I don't text when I'm in the company of others.

Okay, that's a lie. I'm on my BlackBerry whenever I can be.
    12-27-07 07:36 PM
    Eh, I too, believe the standard rules of all mobile phones should apply to the BB!
    12-27-07 08:26 PM
    If you wouldn't take a phone call or make one while with a friend/date/spouse, I don't feel you should be returning emails, responding to texts, etc. Of course, we all have the important calls we're waiting for and so forth, and we excuse ourselves for those. Same could be said for important emails. But, really, like so many have said, it's just common sense.

And, I'm sure in a week, I'll be unable to stop checking for new messages and have to revise my statement
    12-28-07 12:31 AM
    Sorry no stories or rules here yet, just got my curve a day and a half ago.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-07 01:22 AM
    I have my sister ignore me completely when we're hanging out ,she will literally be texting while we walk on the street,not only that! there's time when I can be having a conversation with her in our room and you can hear the text notification she gets...what's funny is that she ends up saying "keep on talking-dont worry I'm listening".
    12-28-07 01:39 AM
    An etiquette and.... safety issue!
    In my first week with my BB I literally ran a stop sign, right around the corner from my house... I was tired, it was thank goodness very late at night, no one else on road. I was responding to an email! STOP SIGN.. same location, for at least the last 7 years. Scary moment! Vowed right then and there, no more email responses or IM's.... while I driving! Not only bad etiquette, but a safety issue as well!
    12-28-07 03:24 AM
    A friend of mine has a daughter who is constantly texting on her phone...it isn't a bb. It gets annoying trying to talk to her and she is texting away. How ironic that devices (esp. bb's) designed for communication can in some ways take away from conversations.
    12-28-07 05:58 AM
    lol, what kind of rules/etiquette are we talking about here?

I think it all depends on the situation. Use common sense.
    12-28-07 08:29 AM
721 ... 26272829
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD