Ok, well, I'm very hopefully investing in a curve in the near future because as a texting/IM addict I really want a phone with a full keyboard and I've heard the curves are good phones.
    I've currently got a razr,which has managed to prove to fail at life. It is always severly delaying texts and the screen messes up a lot. I've never even dropped it.
    I'm with AT&T and I just wanted to ask a few questions about the BlackBerry before I go and buy it. Just to be 100% sure it's the phone that I want.

1]How good are the IM clients. (Mainly AIM)
    2]What's the web like on it? Slow? Fast?
    3]I'm planning to buy the phone and keep my number/plan. I have an unlimited data plan as of now, is that the same as the plan for the BBs? Could I keep that or would I need to change it the bb plan?
    4]I know it has the full keyboard, but is it very comfortable to type on? I'm constantly texting so that would be a HUGE factor in buying this phone.

And any other really great things you wanna point out to persuade me or anything to warn me about would be nice as well.

TIA!
    08-01-08 09:24 PM
    1 i don't use them lol
    2 web is pretty fast not 3g fast
    3 the bb plan is different than the reg data plan
    4 yes it is very comfy to type on

welcome to crackberry(hopefully)
    08-01-08 09:28 PM
    1) Very good, and there are quite a few good multi
    IM client apps

2) Pretty fast, but it is a phone

3)No you will need a BB Data plan to take full
    advantage of the device capablilites

4) Matter of opinion. Personally I think the Pearl has
    a better K/B. You need to play with one to see if it
    works for you.
    08-01-08 09:29 PM
    1 i don't use them lol
    2 web is pretty fast not 3g fast
    3 the bb plan is different than the reg data plan
    4 yes it is very comfy to type on

welcome to crackberry(hopefully)
    If the plan is different, how so? And would AT&T let me just switch what I have now to that when I buy the phone?
    08-01-08 09:30 PM
    To fill in for blueberry... I use yahoo messenger (as we use it at work to communicate on the fly) and it works awesome. The interface is great, and I've never had an issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-08 09:30 PM
    If the plan is different, how so? And would AT&T let me just switch what I have now to that when I buy the phone?
    it's a different data plan specifically for bb it will also include push email services it also costs more per month
    08-01-08 09:31 PM
    it's a different data plan specifically for bb it will also include push email services it also costs more per month
    How much is it a month?
    08-01-08 09:33 PM
    Yes, att should let you switch.

08-01-08 09:33 PM
    someone correct me if i'm wrong but i believe 29.99 a month ???
    08-01-08 09:35 PM
    Yes, att should let you switch.

Great I wasn't too sure if they would or not
    08-01-08 09:35 PM
    Another question.

I just checked AT&T.com
    They have three 'services' for the Blackberry.
    Blckberry Personal
    Blackberry Personal Bundle
    Blackberry Personal+Tethering.

Ok, I know some companies dont require you to have a talk plan when you have a phone like this. (I know Tmobile doesnt require you to have one if you buy a sidekick and get the data plan)

From what I read on AT&T, the personal bundle is what I would need because it includes unlimited messaging, which is really all I use a phone for. That would rack my bill up to close to 90 dollars a month, which my parents would NOT go for. So is there any way I could take my talk plan off? And just have the blackberry Personal Bundle? Like would they charge me by the minute if I used it for talking?
    08-01-08 09:45 PM
    Hmm. I'm not sure. Honestly, paying by the minute, if they even have this option, can turn into a huge bill very quickly. I personally pay 140+ for my plan. You are looking at upwards of $100 for a bb plan any way you slice it....

08-01-08 09:47 PM
    BB Personal - Simple BIS, Email and Data
    BB Personal Bundle - as above, includes texting
    BB Personal + Tethering - Allows you to use the BB as a modem
    for internet access from a laptop
    08-01-08 09:48 PM
    1. I'm not really sure about the IM clients, because I don't use them yet.

2. The web service on the Blackberry Curve is fast in my opinion. Of course, it doesn't compare to broadband service on a computer. But for a phone, it is relatively fast. I think you would be pleased.

3. Yes, you can keep your number, however you will not be able to keep your same data plan. You will have to switch to the data plan specifically designed for the Blackberry. Be sure you get the unlimited service. In my opinion, it is certainly worth it, because with everything the Blackberry can do, you will definitely be putting it to use, and you don't want to come up short.

4. The keyboard for the curve is fine for me and comfortable, although it did take some getting used to because I have larger hands. You may not have this issue. With a little practice, though, I really got the hang of it and now I text with the best of them.

Hopefully i've answered 3 out of 4 of your questions. The Blackberry Curve will be a huge step up from your Razr. Trust me, you will never want another type of phone again other than a Blackberry.
    08-01-08 09:48 PM
    Hmm. I'm not sure. Honestly, paying by the minute, if they even have this option, can turn into a huge bill very quickly. I personally pay 140+ for my plan. You are looking at upwards of $100 for a bb plan any way you slice it....

If they DO have an option like that, it would be a smaller bill for me really, because I tend to text more than talk. If I'm not texting someone, I'm with them, no need for calling haha.

Though I was looking and my bill would only be 15 dollars more a month than what it is now. Not too bad really.
    08-01-08 10:12 PM
    Honestly, if monthly cost is an issue, I would suggest going with Sprint and one of their Simply Everyting Plan (SEP). I have unlimited texting, unlimited data, and 450 anytime talk minutes (also free nights and weekends) for 69.99 a month. With taxes and fees a little over 70/month. I don't know if going with a different carrier is an option for you but even if you switch carriers you can keep the same phone number. Go to the Sprint forum on this site and read some threads on the SEP plans.

Furthermore, I have the Pearl and find the keyboard very comfortable to use. The SureType takes some getting used to, but once you do you can txt blazingly fast...as I do Hope this helps.
    08-01-08 11:20 PM
    My Curve is my first smartphone and I am really, really impressed. I am also getting blazing fast texting. I have six email accounts now and I get mail to answer at most of them, and the email is so easy it almost does it for me. I don't know about the Pearl, but the Curve is very straight forward. I'm emailing the older people I know and texting my kids like crazy and having a great time on-line with my WiFi, too. Another bonus, today I started making voice messages and emailing them to friends. I don't think you'll be sorry at all.
    08-01-08 11:43 PM
    someone correct me if i'm wrong but i believe 29.99 a month ???
    /me corrects blueberry as he asked...

It's $30. Lol.

Like AG stated, IMO as well, I find the Pearl's keyboard to be easier to type on. Now if typing is all you are going to do (Text, BBM, IM and Email), then I would suggest the Pearl.

For media, web surfing, QWERTY keyboard, go with the Curve.
    08-01-08 11:53 PM
    Also, for IM.

Free - WebMessenger & EQO

One time fee - JiveTalk. I will not mention the others as they aren't worth it.
    08-01-08 11:55 PM
    I have 450 minutes anytime voice, unlimited texting, free nights (after 7 pm) & wkends...unlimited data is an extra $15.

I cut Comcast off and have only been using the Berry as my only ISP for the past 4 months. It works fast enough for Youtube and at night it's fast enough for good quality voice chat.

As a fairly heavy user, I don't hold back on my bandwidth usage at all...I plug it into my desktop, laptop, and soon my Nokia internet tablet when it gets here. Sprint hasn't yelled at me about excessive use yet, so I'll just keep plowing away until they do.
    08-02-08 12:13 AM
    Well if you are on your parents family plan, just get the BB plan and to save some money do the family unlimited text messaging plan for $ 30 a month. So it would be an extra 40 a month for your bb plan and unlimited text on all phones under the family plan versus 50 for just the BB personal plan on one phone! Texting on the curve is soo much better then a razr, or any non qwerty keyboard! I originally went from a razr *non 3G* to a Samsung Sync, then upgraded to a Nokia N75 *returned*, then 2x Razr2 V9s and then finally a Curve 8300 and now after 2 warranty returns, I am on the 8310 and I am not leaving the BB at all... I cannot even want to try and text on anything without a full qwerty kb now! Next phone will be the Bold for me!

Charlie
    08-02-08 01:33 AM
    Well if you are on your parents family plan, just get the BB plan and to save some money do the family unlimited text messaging plan for $ 30 a month. So it would be an extra 40 a month for your bb plan and unlimited text on all phones under the family plan versus 50 for just the BB personal plan on one phone! Texting on the curve is soo much better then a razr, or any non qwerty keyboard! I originally went from a razr *non 3G* to a Samsung Sync, then upgraded to a Nokia N75 *returned*, then 2x Razr2 V9s and then finally a Curve 8300 and now after 2 warranty returns, I am on the 8310 and I am not leaving the BB at all... I cannot even want to try and text on anything without a full qwerty kb now! Next phone will be the Bold for me!

Charlie
    I've seen the Bold and it looks amazing.
    I want that phone so bad. But I heard it wont be until around September that it comes out? =/ What a long wait. =[
    08-02-08 01:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD