Hey guys, yes im what you would call a newb to the curve, however i had a pearl for a while...heres the thing....i used my friends iphone alot, the internet is lighting for a phone especially when using WIFI....but i just got myself the curve and i love however i dont find the speed all that fast, i definitly notice a small difference when using wifi compared to edge, but the internet just isnt really totally viable for "sufing" it takes a while for pics to load pages like myspace, ny times with lots of content is slow loading....also you cant watch any live feeds like youtube or listen to aol music....is there anyway at all to "tweak" some internet settings to allow pages to load faster for quicker surfing? any help appreciated.
    12-26-07 07:00 AM
    Your profile states you have the 8310 model Curve. If that is true, you don't have WiFi, at all, on that device.
    12-26-07 07:54 AM
    At present you're using EDGE, wifi is much quicker. I'd get the 8320 if I was you...
    12-26-07 08:07 AM
    sorry my mistake i just dont know the model numbers, its the curve titanium from tmobile i got it yesterday it has wifi im using it with wifi as we speak its quicker then edge, but still not that fast, the iphone however seems to work at computer/laptop speed, also does this phone not support live feeds? or life music listening on the internet
    12-26-07 08:56 AM
    Yes, it does support live streaming music. Streaming video is less dependable, but a few sites do off such.

Titanium is a color, not a model. Likely you have the 8320.

The BB just may not be the right device for you, but the iPhone and the BB run off the same type network when not connected via WiFi, which is EDGE, as Navi stated above.
    12-26-07 09:03 AM
    thanks vm for your help and info much appreciated, i love the phone i really do just want to figure most of it out...also...if it supports streaming music how come when i go to aol music and try and listen to something it does not play am i required to download a certain player to be able to listen to music on these sites
    12-26-07 09:29 AM
    Try the Flipside media player, or MediaPlayer by Dollars5, I believe they both support streaming. With WiFi, you should have not have a problem.
    12-26-07 09:31 AM
    I havent been able to get streaming music to work and i don't really like Flipside, where can i find MediaPlayer by Dollar5?
    01-04-08 03:33 PM
    Dollars5 mediaPlayer can be found at dollars5.com.

I've posted in another thread concerning streaming and, so far, Dollars5's mediaPlayer is cream-of-the-crop. You will want to install via Desktop Manager though to avoid errors. Also, be sure to set a high buffer in mediaPlayer settings if you're using EDGE or a "slow" data connection and avoid streams higher than 48k with 24-32k in the AAC+ format being preferred; it's WORLDS better than mp3 at the same bitrate
    01-09-08 03:13 AM
    I'm currently using a BlackBerry 8320 from T-Mobile, and I too have noticed that the Wi-fi download speeds aren't any faster than EDGE speeds. I think it's because the device's processor really isn't fast enough to handle data transfer any faster than EDGE can provide. I could be wrong though.

I actually tried an experiment loading the same page, with the same browser settings, using EDGE and then just Wi-Fi and they were almost exactly the same. Sometimes EDGE loads images faster than Wi-Fi.

AZA
    01-24-08 11:47 AM
    I don't get any lightning speed from my wi-fi that's for sure.

But it really drains the battery life if left on.
    01-26-08 08:36 PM
    T-mobile is working on a faster network ,dont know when it will launch though.
    01-26-08 08:41 PM
    what is the wifi all about i have to go aqnd choose internet borwser to gt on instead of wifi am i doin sumthin wrong and i am in a bb curve
    01-26-08 09:39 PM
    Does anybody know what an average ping response time should be if pinging their default gateway (wifi router they are connected to). Also this seems like it would be a more reliable, and less subjective way to "test" and compare network speed. Am I wrong for thinking this? when im connected via wifi, I ping my router and get an average time of 215 ms! which is SLOW compared to <1ms with a pc!
    01-18-09 01:14 PM
    i think there might be a speed cap on it put in place by t-mobile i have a friend
    that has a 8330 and his 3g internet is faster than my wi-fi, and i did a speed test on my internet on my computer, my speed was
    upload: 5 megabits/sec
    download: 15 megabits/sec
    also i checked to make sure that it was on the right wi-fi and that it was on
    i am not sure though but i don't understand why his is faster and mine is so slow not much faster than the edge
    01-20-09 03:58 PM
    what is the wifi all about i have to go aqnd choose internet borwser to gt on instead of wifi am i doin sumthin wrong and i am in a bb curve
    what?
    02-04-09 01:08 PM
    A ping to your router shouldn't take more than a few milliseconds. The only way I can think of testing the router's speed is to first run a speed test online t hooking your computer directly to the modem. Then run it again with the router this time. I wouldn't use wieless for the test

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 06:20 AM
    Apologies, I need to bump this thread. Like the OP, I don't find WiFi all that fast on my 8220. WiFi is only about twice as fast as EDGE. I would expect WiFi to blow the doors off EDGE. Tethering my laptop to the 8220, I see 100kbps on EDGE and 200kbps on WiFi. Those speeds have conspiracy-like consistency. My home WiFi is capable of 6Mbps. The ping time from my 8220 to my WiFi router is between 20ms and (groan) 204ms; my laptop can ping in 2-5ms. Could UMA be adding that much overhead?
    02-25-09 11:49 PM
    whats the UMA?
    02-26-09 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD