I don't see Rim going under any time in the near future if ever. Every body seems to think that the best place to put money is in app driven phones. Yea right at the moment its selling devices like crazy. Gotta remember this craze started slow just 4 yrs ago. Its still real young. This is where the smartphone world is finding itself. Moto droid razr is released. " Bought it" $300 w/ 2 year contract. 2 weeks later A NEW android osed phone is released. Hmmm gotta have before Blake gets it. Open another line w/ 2 year contract drop another $225 down for it. That's $60 a month at least for internet.
    The busness world is not going to keep dropping $200+ every few months to keep up with smartphone trend. Not and stay in business anyway. With just 10 people in the the company that's at least $2000+. Not to mention the IT department trying to keep up. I think RIM is playing it real smart finishing what they started and sticking to their roots.
    There's no way to keep up w/ techology.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-11 08:06 AM
    How many prediction threads do we really need? Let's just wait and see what happens.
    sam_b77 and Thud Hardsmack like this.
    12-20-11 08:08 AM
    ohh cmon chrisy we love seeing the tarot card readers around here
    12-20-11 08:12 AM
    Oh fine. I'll check back after 6 pages. I bet I can predict the ending.
    12-20-11 08:15 AM
    Nice point of view echo, not to mention the US market is not the only market. RIM has spread its wings to other countries .....remember, and their experiencing the addictive part of the Blackberry that some of us still have. Lets wait and see what happens, like chrisy said
    13echo4 likes this.
    12-20-11 08:23 AM
    Oh fine. I'll check back after 6 pages. I bet I can predict the ending.
    How about a side bet on how many posts before this thread is locked down??
    12-20-11 08:36 AM
    why should it get closed?
    anyways in before it closes hehe
    12-20-11 08:51 AM
    The busness world is not going to keep dropping $200+ every few months to keep up with smartphone trend. Not and stay in business anyway. With just 10 people in the the company that's at least $2000+. Not to mention the IT department trying to keep up. I think RIM is playing it real smart finishing what they started and sticking to their roots.
    There's no way to keep up w/ techology.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    that right there is actually a pretty spot-on point. The business world are heavily into using crackberries for their staff and you're right, they're not about to go jumping ship to Android or iOS anytime soon. Anybody who works for a big company can tell you how fast they move on things like that (they don't). Almost the entire gov't civil service workforce in USA and Canada are all on BB too. Federal and state/provincial. You folks know what bureaucrats are like right? Do you seriously think these masters of efficiency are all going to turn around any time in the next decade and suddenly decide "hey the hate mongers on crackberry.com forums think we should dump millions of dollars into switching our entire mobile infrastructure! Let's do it gogogo!" any time in the next decade? gimme a break.

seriously echo, that's a damn fine point that these guys would be at pains to refute. good eye.
    13echo4 likes this.
    12-20-11 09:03 AM
    You know instead of starting a new thread i'll just post this here, since my thought kinda lines up with the op's thought of keep plugging away.

I saw a post over at android central this morning about how google being sued by british telecom for some stupid thing. Now, laying aside the whole idiocy surrounding most of these patent lawsuits, it struck me that while some folks complain that rim/blackberry cant do this, that, the other thing AND cook my bacon in the morning, you dont hear of rim/blackberry getting sued for multiple patent infringements (just stupid stuff like using the bbx name).

Now I realize that someone who hates rim/blackberry could probably put a negative spin on that, and im sure someone probably will. But it struck that while rim has definitely shot itslef in the foot a few times, and dug itself in a bit of a hole, they are headed in I think the right direction. Theyve bought companies, and used the technology in a proper manner, instead of "copying" and opening themselves up to lawsuits. Again, I realize the whole patent/intellectual property/copying argument is for a different thread, and im not going that route. Just my two cents.

Commence flaming/bashing/spinning in 3...2...1....
    12-20-11 09:09 AM
    Don't worry John. I agree with you and I'm right behind you with a fire extinguisher.

The OP is right that to be a long term success, you have to do what you do best and keep doing it consistently. During the good times you plan ahead for the lean times. RIM has done this. The last couple of years have been bad for them yet they still have no debt and they have cash in the bank and are still growing in subscriber numbers.

IF they can learn from their mistakes, they will weather the storm and be a better company for it.

Only time will tell I guess.
    john_v likes this.
    12-20-11 09:26 AM
    How many prediction threads do we really need? Let's just wait and see what happens.
    Chrisy why don't you actually say something? I didn't make a prediction. I never expressed a guesson what will happen. I just stated I don't see rim going under not they won't. I stated I thought they where smart in keeping their roots. Now have you read that opinion yet? How about my view point of corpate American upgrading to every new device and that android market is dumping way more devices than what America is going to beable to keep up with even w/ 5 lines.
    Like it or not I have a right to my say. You don't have to agree with me. I'm fine w/ that. This is called a conversation. If you don't have anything to say then don't.
    Last edited by 13echo4; 12-20-11 at 09:48 AM.
    12-20-11 09:39 AM
    I think either they'll go out of business or they will not and continue to make products. It doesn't matter to me. I'll still be using a BlackBerry for a while in either case.

If and when BlackBerry devices are no longer around, I'll get an Android probably. Maybe abn iPhone.

So, 50/50 chance RIM will go under. Lol.
    mike in nc likes this.
    12-20-11 09:42 AM
    I think either they'll go out of business or they will not and continue to make products. It doesn't matter to me. I'll still be using a BlackBerry for a while in either case.

If and when BlackBerry devices are no longer around, I'll get an Android probably. Maybe abn iPhone.

So, 50/50 chance RIM will go under. Lol.
    Same here. I love my BB and will use it until I cant. If I had to change I would prob go Android (but Windows 7 phones look kinda cool )
    12-20-11 10:55 AM
    I think the key difference is that it is consumers, not businesses, that are constantly upgrading their devices.

Even if a business has a BYOD policy, chances are they offer a stipend (say $100) to an employee to purchase a device and then pay a certain amount toward the voice/data plan. But the stipend to get a device only happens once a year or once every two years. So the employee has to pay out of pocket if he wants something newer before then.

I don't see where any businesses would keep shelling out money to employees who want new Androids every 3 months.
    12-20-11 12:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD