Hello! I have had my BB Curve 8330 for several days, and although I was excited to get my first SmartPhone, I am finding this device so user UNfriendly that I want to scream. Then smash the device. Ok, rant over--to the specifics. (and i have searched some of these issues, followed the instructions, but still cant get this thing to do what I want)

SO: The messages folder collects voicemail, SMS Text and my email. In an ideal world, I would have a separate folder for each. (This forum says you cant do that...only SMS can be pulled out--and I have done that).

What I want: I want the blinky light only to come on when I get a new Voicemail or text. As it stands, every piece of non-critical email (as well as the important ones) sets the light to blinking (perhaps a notification setting for the general messages folder. (Me: "Did my sweetie just call?" BB:"No, you have a new email from Jetblue telling me about a car rental special if I act right away!"

What I see as the problem: since email and voicemail always go to the general messages folder, and that cant be separated, if I want blinking notification of a new VM, I also have to have this notice for incoming email.

Help? Advice? iPhone?
    11-18-09 12:07 PM
    Download a program called BeBuzz . I have it and you can customize the led for each type of message. VM idont think is and option but Missed call is. you can shut off the led for email and have one for missed call. Look in app world or go to m.bellshare.com from your bb browser.
    11-18-09 12:21 PM
    Help? Advice? iPhone?
    go for it! iphone has wonderful LED notification!
    11-18-09 12:25 PM
    I've had both a blackberry and also have had all 3 versions of iphone, I've actually had both at same time, and it was a no brainer to just keep my bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 12:29 PM
    Berry Buzz is a must. Set your LED to a different color for each type of notification that the application supports. I reccomend some kind of visual voicemail service too. Either youmail, or google voice works great in that area depending on what you want to do.

11-18-09 12:34 PM
    Hello! I have had my BB Curve 8330 for several days, and although I was excited to get my first SmartPhone, I am finding this device so user UNfriendly that I want to scream. Then smash the device. Ok, rant over--to the specifics. (and i have searched some of these issues, followed the instructions, but still cant get this thing to do what I want)

SO: The messages folder collects voicemail, SMS Text and my email. In an ideal world, I would have a separate folder for each. (This forum says you cant do that...only SMS can be pulled out--and I have done that).

What I want: I want the blinky light only to come on when I get a new Voicemail or text. As it stands, every piece of non-critical email (as well as the important ones) sets the light to blinking (perhaps a notification setting for the general messages folder. (Me: "Did my sweetie just call?" BB:"No, you have a new email from Jetblue telling me about a car rental special if I act right away!"

What I see as the problem: since email and voicemail always go to the general messages folder, and that cant be separated, if I want blinking notification of a new VM, I also have to have this notice for incoming email.

Help? Advice? iPhone?
    Wow, everyone is been there. To change LED notifications you go to the profile menu and change each profile to you liking. So play around with that.

You can get one icon for your sms and one for emails. In the messages, hit the blackberry key then options. General options and chose you have your messages separate. Then you'll see the icon for sms.

Keep reading the forums and you'll find everything here. I have no doubt that once you get the hang of it, you will absolutely love your bberry.
    11-18-09 12:35 PM
    Well, BeBuzz is $6. Are there any *free* apps that will do this? Is there such a thing as a free app?
    11-18-09 12:48 PM
    No doubt! The IPhone is known for its led notifications.

11-18-09 12:50 PM
    Well, BeBuzz is $6. Are there any *free* apps that will do this? Is there such a thing as a free app?
    Software developers, like nature, abhors a vacuum. When the limitations of BlackBerry Profile come to light, developers are attacked.

There is plenty of free software, but the really useful code comes from teams of hard working developers and they deserve to be recognized and rewarded for excellent work.

Couple bucks well spent.
    11-18-09 12:55 PM
    Wow, everyone is been there. To change LED notifications you go to the profile menu and change each profile to you liking. So play around with that.

You can get one icon for your sms and one for emails. In the messages, hit the blackberry key then options. General options and chose you have your messages separate. Then you'll see the icon for sms.

Keep reading the forums and you'll find everything here. I have no doubt that once you get the hang of it, you will absolutely love your bberry.
    Ok, so when I go to "Profiles" (icon looks like a speaker) , it just shows the ring type icon with a description (quiet, vibrate, etc) but when I press the menu button (the one that looks like Brail) , I just return to the previous screen.

(For the record, I have spent 3 hours today between this forum and trying to resolve this issue. I was just going to suck it up and buy the BeeBuzz app, but now I cant even find my OS version, which I need to download. I miss my dumb phone. It was smarter. )

Sorry, folks, but I'm so pissed off right now that I am afraid it's going to mess with your day, and you are trying to HELP me...maybe this BB thing just isn't worth my time.

Thanks for helping...
    11-18-09 01:07 PM

If you follow dcgore's advice you won't need an app, paid or free, to do what you want.

Just take your time & go through your settings to customize the phone for your needs. Once you get the hang of it you will realize that your BB is not as user unfriendly as you think!!

Good luck & try to enjoy your phone .
    11-18-09 01:11 PM
    Profiles > Advanced > Choose which profile u want to edit > BBMenu button > Edit > Messages/Phone/or whatever u want to edit > make your notification changes
    11-18-09 01:13 PM
    Ok, so when I go to "Profiles" (icon looks like a speaker) , it just shows the ring type icon with a description (quiet, vibrate, etc) but when I press the menu button (the one that looks like Brail) , I just return to the previous screen.

Thanks for helping...
    Ok - So when you're in Profiles select advanced & then select which Profile you want to modify.

Edit: What derande said!
    11-18-09 01:13 PM
    BTW - Since this your first BB you may want to check out the BlackBerry 101 Lectures that CB provides.

Here is the one on how to modify your Profiles: Creating and Editing Profiles and Notifications | CrackBerry.com
    11-18-09 01:20 PM
    this post made my day. lol.
    11-18-09 04:20 PM
    ColorID on the full version could help you I guess.

You can set it up to 10 different led color combinations for contacts.

Free gets you 2 contacts only. But should sort the 'Hey berry, did my sweety call?' issue. Sure did for me.

Good luck!
    11-18-09 05:46 PM
    Mel:

Now THAT was helpful ! (the "101" link)

I've actually been wondering if there was a class for this thing...glad there is!
    11-18-09 05:50 PM
    In addition to the BlackBerry 101 tutorials, there is also the How To & FAQ Forum, which is full of useful "How to..." threads. Welcome to the Forums, and don't be discouraged. We all owned our first BlackBerry sometime. Many of us have owned several. Once you get the hang of it, it's very effective for some things.
    11-18-09 07:46 PM
    but still cant get this thing to do what I want ... What I want: I want the blinky light only to come on when I get a new Voicemail or text. As it stands, every piece of non-critical email (as well as the important ones) sets the light to blinking (perhaps a notification setting for the general messages folder. (Me: "Did my sweetie just call?" BB:"No, you have a new email from Jetblue telling me about a car rental special if I act right away!"
    Bill, one of the things that is now driving you crazy will be the same thing that makes you love your BlackBerry after you start to understand it and that is that ... your BlackBerry is insanely customizable. In other words, you'll marvel over time at what your BlackBerry can do but there is no way you are going to learn everything overnight. I've been using BlackBerrys for about 3 years now and I STILL seem to learn new tricks all the time.

Now the biggest issue that you mentioned that USED to drive me nuts is the issue of the Jet-Blue type emails.

Do we use Jet Blue? Sure. Do we maybe want Jet Blue to tell us about their latest specials? Sure. Do we want to be pestered every time Jet Blue sends something out by having our BlackBerrys beep and notify us that we have a Jet Blue email? Probably not.

When you got a BlackBerry you became either a BES BlackBerry user or a BIS BlackBerry user. What is the difference? BES stands for BlackBerry ENTERPRISE and BIS stands for BlackBerry Internet. If you are a BES user, you should sit down with your IT department and ask for their help in setting up your BlackBerry to your specifications. If, like most of us, you are just a regular guy using a BlackBerry, you should sign on to your mobile carrier's site and visit your BIS profile. In that profile you can establish filters that specify what BIS does with your emails. Get important email from your boss? Those can be flagged as Priority emails and can get special alert tones. Get spam from Jet Blue that you don't want to be bothered with on your BlackBerry? You can set up a filter that tells your BIS account not to bother you with anything from Jet Blue and that email will never be sent to your BlackBerry and will just be in your regular email folder when you visit your computer.

All of this can be overwhelming. Try and master one or two things a week and soon you'll start falling in love with your device. BlackBerry is a fabulous tool but what makes it fabulous is now flexible and sophisticated it is.

The good news is you've found CrackBerry. Most of the people here are helpful and if you ask clear and concise questions, you'll be amazed at how much you can learn.

There is a reason they call all of this CrackBerry. Hang in there and you'll get infected too. But don't worry, it's a good infection.
    11-18-09 08:06 PM
    Bill, you can separate all of your messages into their own folders then hide the all-in-one messages folder. I know on my old 8320, one of the stock themes has theme determined icons on the home screen (dimension zen maybe??) which has that all-in-one messages folder... You'd need to choose a theme with user-defined icons, meaning the top five or six icons on the menu screen will be the ones to show on the home screen.
    Hope that helps.

11-18-09 08:42 PM
    WHen you go into Profiles, you have teo scroll allthe way down to the bottom to go into the Advanced settings. From there, you can edit each profile and turn on and off the notifications as you wish.

The Message folder is a catch-all for all messages. You can seperate out SMS/MMS messages from it. You'll also find a seperate folder for each e-mail address on your BB, so you can move the main Messages folder out of view and just display the SMS/MMS folder and E-mail folders to have them seperate.

There is a lot that you can customize to fit your needs. Definitely take a look at the 101 Lectures. They will help you figure things out quicker.
    11-18-09 09:09 PM
    Software developers, like nature, abhors a vacuum. When the limitations of BlackBerry Profile come to light, developers are attacked.

There is plenty of free software, but the really useful code comes from teams of hard working developers and they deserve to be recognized and rewarded for excellent work.

Couple bucks well spent.
    +1 to what Reed said.

FWIW I use BerryBuzz and it's flawless. Easy to configure, easy to modify, offers every option under the sun. When combined with well thought out profile settings it's unbeatable. Good luck to the OP with your BB. You've gotten some great advice here, particularly about the 101 series.
    11-18-09 09:15 PM
    +1 to what Reed said.

FWIW I use BerryBuzz and it's flawless. Easy to configure, easy to modify, offers every option under the sun. When combined with well thought out profile settings it's unbeatable. Good luck to the OP with your BB. You've gotten some great advice here, particularly about the 101 series.
    I also use BerryBuzz and would definitely recommend it. I like setting LED colors so I know what type of message I'm getting without the ringer, and without having to inspect my phone and see what icon shows.

The vibe and ring feature also is wonderful.
    11-18-09 09:42 PM
    I also use BerryBuzz and would definitely recommend it. I like setting LED colors so I know what type of message I'm getting without the ringer, and without having to inspect my phone and see what icon shows.

The vibe and ring feature also is wonderful.
    +1. I love BerryBuzz!
    11-18-09 10:01 PM
    +1. I love BerryBuzz!
    Then combine it with Smart Alerts for even more customization.
    11-19-09 06:49 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD