Hi All,

I'm a newbie here. I've just bought an unlokced BB Curve 8310 on eBay. It should be with me this Tuesday (I can't wait)! Anyway, I'm currently using a Nokia N95 on Vodafone UK network. I have a few questions about the Curve and BIS on Vodafone:

1) My N95 can retrieve my e-mails (IMAP) via 3G connection without any additional subscription apart from the cost of data transfer. When I receive my BB Curve, will I be able to do the same or I need to subscribe to BIS service?

2) Does BB Map work in the UK and does it require connection to the Internet to receive the map? Is there a way to pre-load the map?

3) The BB is VODAFONE branded, will I be able to install the OS firmware update obtained from other network? (specifically this http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...2-194-a-24857/)

4) I am a MacBook Pro user (no BootCamp, no VISTA), what's the best solution for syncing contacts, calendar, notes and to-do tasks?

I apologise if the questions have been answered already many times. I'm just totally new to all of this. Can't wait to become a BB user!

Any help/suggestion will be gratefully appreciated!

----------------

P.S. I was going to wait for the 3G iPhone, however I text a lot (500 a month) so a physical keyboard is something I really want.
    Last edited by skyrider007; 06-08-08 at 05:52 PM.
    06-08-08 05:42 PM
    1. You will need BIS service.
    2. I don't know.
    3. Yes, if you remove the vendor.xml file. However this will not remove the branding. You will need a Windows PC to install/update any BB OS.
    4. Not sure. I don't have a mac.
    06-08-08 05:52 PM
    BB maps should work in U.K. You can get it at BlackBerry - PDA GPS - BlackBerry Maps at BlackBerry.com on your pc and you need a usb cable. To download it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-08 05:59 PM
    Hi All,

I'm a newbie here. I've just bought an unlokced BB Curve 8310 on eBay. It should be with me this Tuesday (I can't wait)! Anyway, I'm currently using a Nokia N95 on Vodafone UK network. I have a few questions about the Curve and BIS on Vodafone:

1) My N95 can retrieve my e-mails (IMAP) via 3G connection without any additional subscription apart from the cost of data transfer. When I receive my BB Curve, will I be able to do the same or I need to subscribe to BIS service?

2) Does BB Map work in the UK and does it require connection to the Internet to receive the map? Is there a way to pre-load the map?

3) The BB is VODAFONE branded, will I be able to install the OS firmware update obtained from other network? (specifically this http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...2-194-a-24857/)

4) I am a MacBook Pro user (no BootCamp, no VISTA), what's the best solution for syncing contacts, calendar, notes and to-do tasks?

I apologise if the questions have been answered already many times. I'm just totally new to all of this. Can't wait to become a BB user!

Any help/suggestion will be gratefully appreciated!

----------------

P.S. I was going to wait for the 3G iPhone, however I text a lot (500 a month) so a physical keyboard is something I really want.

1. Yes, you need BIS.

2. I don't know for sure if BB Maps works in the UK, but it does require a data connection. There are programs that allow for map preload, BB Maps is not one of them.

3. Remove the vendor.xml file and you are good to go.

4. PocketMac is decent, and if I am remember correctly, it is free. The Missing Sync has a few more features but costs $30 or $40. I used to use PocketMac, but I have just started using my Windows laptop instead. You will only be able to sync info using your Mac; OS upgrades and/or all app installation requires a Windows system.
    06-08-08 07:48 PM
    Anybody here use the BB without BIS subscription? Will it work at all if I don't subscribe?
    06-09-08 11:22 AM
    I'm not sure.... Welcome to CB and congrats on ur new toy!!

06-09-08 11:26 AM
    Thanks. Will I break my BB if I install OS 4.5 beta?
    06-09-08 11:53 AM
    Wow giving up the n95? That phone is so sweet.

06-09-08 12:05 PM
    I don't have a BIS plan. I think the only things that you won't be able to use is the email push feature (wich is the main reason people choose BB).

I don't use my BB for business matters so I don't mind going to the web page to check my email. I'm sure there's other features you won't be able to use but I couldn't tell you what they are since I've never had a BIS plan. I do fine with unlmtd txt and data plan.

06-09-08 12:10 PM
    Wow giving up the n95? That phone is so sweet.
    Yeah But it doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard, that's why I got a BB. Otherwise it's a good phone with everything built-in.

BTW, just saw the 3G iPhone ~ it's pretty cool! I'll probably get it next year unless BB Thunder/Bold can convince me.

I don't have a BIS plan. I think the only things that you won't be able to use is the email push feature (wich is the main reason people choose BB).

I don't use my BB for business matters so I don't mind going to the web page to check my email.
    So you can use your BB to access WAP by GPRS/EDGE even if you don't subscribe to BIS?

Do you need to hack the BB or put in some special setting or something?
    Last edited by skyrider007; 06-09-08 at 02:25 PM.
    06-09-08 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD