They've done this.. the first time you start a BB10 device, it MAKES you go thru a tutorial on how to exit apps, bring up menu's etc... the three basic gestures are shoved down your throat when u boot ur device for the first time...
    Yeah I realize that. But in the example Troy and I were discussing, we're talking about someone who just walks into a store and picks up a BB10 device off the display. Often times, there's nothing to cue the people in on how to use it. And if they can't even exit an app they selected, they will likely just put the phone down and walk away.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin and JeepBB like this.
    12-17-13 07:36 PM
    I'll repeat a story I told shortly after the US launch of the Z10.

I was having trouble getting my Z10 to talk to the campus wifi network. I've always had this trouble with BlackBerry devices, for some reason. So, the day after I got the Z10 I brought it to the help desk to see what they could do. The help desk was staffed by a couple of college students who knew nothing about the OS. I showed them how to swipe up to get out of an application. That's all. I didn't have to tell them to swipe down to look at options. They had enough sense to understand that if swiping up did something, swiping down would probably do something too. They found the Hub with no help from me. The understood the X to close frames without a tutorial. They recognized the overflow menu symbol.

In short, all they needed to be told, to master the "confusing" BB10 gesture system, was the upward swipe.
    People staffing a tech help desk are poor examples. They are already tech savvy, and used to thinking of atlernate solutions.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-17-13 07:58 PM
    My 158 month old can do just about anything he wants.

Looking for the real vijik. Q10
    Lmfaooooo that was hands down the funniest thing I have ever read in my entire life..i do not give a crap what anyone says.. that was soooo perfect in so many ways.. oh my gosh im crying

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 08:23 PM
    The demo display setup is irrelevant to the word intuition and intuitive.
    The demo display doesn't help something become intuitive.
    Intuition has to occur beforehand.
    What you are suggestion is called "teaching".

The word intuition has an established meaning. It cannot be twisted to mean "natural", 'easy", "childlike" or "best" because some CB fans want to prove a point.

The OP's example is anecdotal. It proves or means little in the scope of what is intuitive.
    I'll agree with your point if you agree that a better demo setup (as suggested or bettered) in store would assist in sales.
    12-17-13 09:29 PM
    It's quite simple. People who say it's complicated just didn't watch the tutorial. Or are just simply lazy . It's really not that hard.

Posted via CB10
    It needs a tutorial. That's the issue...

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 4
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-17-13 09:32 PM
    This is contradictory, and that's the point. An intuitive interface is one that you don't HAVE to learn - you can understand it because the functionality is obvious.

Anyone can LEARN the gestures of BB10 (or Meego or WebOS), but that's not the issue. The issue is that random people go into a cell phone store, pick up the phone, click an icon to launch an app, and then are STUCK. Most can't figure out how to get back out of the app within 10 seconds, so they set it down and walk away and pick something else that is INTUITIVE, because they don't WANT to have to learn a new interface.

This is just another reason BB struggles to make sales. The OS isn't "cell-phone store friendly", meaning people who only spend 30-60 seconds playing with it in a store, with no prior knowledge of it beforehand, have no idea what to do.

The solution is simple and obvious: BB should have designed a virtual, on-screen home and back button (like a Nexus phone) that is on by default, but can be turned off in the settings for those who prefer to use the gestures exclusively. All the folks who love gestures would have exactly the same experience they have now after clicking a single button in Settings, but all of the folks brand new to BB10 would find the new OS intuitive from the first moment, and after using it for a while and learning the gestures, could just go shut off the virtual buttons.

If BB had done any user studies or focus groups, I'm sure this must have come up, and I'm amazed that they didn't do this from the start.
    This. But we've said this before...

I've seen a ton of people pick up a Z10 and put it back down because they were lost.

Babies just playing around don't have 5+ years of UI/device use to recollect when they encounter a new smartphone, and they aren't browsing devices on limited time to see what they'd like to buy, either.

Tre Lawrence and JeepBB like this.
    12-17-13 09:38 PM
    So true. Something like that happened to me when I was in college. I was taking a class in FORTRAN and needed to work on an assignment. This was back in the mid 1980's and students didn't have their own computers. What we had was a room on campus that was full of very primitive PCs. We'd go in, insert our floppy disks and get to work.

Well, one night I went to the computer lab and it was quite full. The only PC available was a model I'd never used before, and so help me I couldn't figure out how to turn the dumb thing on. I looked all over that machine trying to find an "on" switch. Of course, I did this slowly and quietly, trying not to draw attention to myself, and hoping that nobody noticed what I was doing. After a few minutes I gave up, and, not wanting to look as stupid as I felt, I strode purposefully from the room as if I had accomplished what I came there for.
    Do you play L2?

12-17-13 09:44 PM
    They've done this.. the first time you start a BB10 device, it MAKES you go thru a tutorial on how to exit apps, bring up menu's etc... the three basic gestures are shoved down your throat when u boot ur device for the first time...
    Most people don't do that boot. It's done for them in the store when the rep sets the phone up to make sure everything is working. Android and Windows phones have a tutorial as well, but it is rendered similarly useless.

And unfamiliar things are very easy for the majority of people to forget.

12-17-13 09:49 PM
    This. But we've said this before...

I've seen a ton of people pick up a Z10 and put it back down because they were lost.

Babies just playing around don't have 5+ years of UI/device use to recollect when they encounter a new smartphone, and they aren't browsing devices on limited time to see what they'd like to buy, either.

And that is the crux of the matter. You can't just introduce something and expect people to magically learn it. It's on the BBRY to get people to adopt it.

There are two ways to approach it. One can sit down and pat oneself on the back for creating something infants can use and bemoan the fact that their parents are too dumb to figure it out, OR one can realize that those gentle cherubs are not the ones buying stuff and actually show the parents how to use the new idea/object.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 12-17-13 at 10:48 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-17-13 09:52 PM
    Microsoft has gesture usage in their OS but they came up with a much better way to expose it. Swiping left to right was obvious due to how content overflowed off the page, the placement of arrows, animations, etc. BB implemented the gestures, but they were sloppy in that the UX isn't self-supporting in getting the user accustomed to it.

There is too much that leaves it up to chance for the user. Tutorials. It is 2014, almost. 99.9pct of people ignore them and a company like BB should have known that.

JeepBB likes this.
    12-17-13 09:58 PM
    Do you play L2?

What's that?
    12-17-13 10:04 PM
    What's that?
    It's an MMORPG. I thought you were someone else. Disregard.

12-17-13 10:05 PM
    And with the last few post that should end "its so intuitive a child can do it."
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12-18-13 at 12:21 AM.
    12-17-13 10:36 PM
    never less than impressed by your negativity....nor those who always line up to click 'like' for your posts.....like clockwork really
    Actually... I've always been more than objective in my rhetoric. But hey, if you choose to focus solely on the occasions where my opinions don't sync with yours.... well that's on you. I'll continue to remain objective, while you can continue to protest anything that doesn't paint candy and roses towards your opinion. Knock yourself out.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-19-13 06:10 PM
    * THIS*!!!

Posted by the inimitable Z10 handheld system
    12-19-13 09:48 PM
90 ... 234