RIM just relesed their latest flagship devices last year, and now they will have bb10 devices in a couple months. I think RIM needs their dedicated users to buy bb10 phones. So I think RIM should work out a deal with the US carriers where anyone can upgrade to. A bb10 device even if they aren't technically eligible. That would allow those with the new devices to pick up the latest blackberry.
    SK122387 likes this.
    06-18-12 10:17 AM
    Service Providers make a lot of omonet tying subscribers to plans. If they indeed made a deal like this, then iPhone users and Android users will shout for the same. I think service providers won't be able to cover their losses if this happens...
    06-18-12 10:20 AM
    The cost would have to be borne by RIM. Now, my question is why should RIM do that? Is the argument they sold existing customers an inferior product while knowing a functioning product is coming soon? If so, that assumes the existing BB7 devices are non-functioning. Good luck proving that as I would testify that the existing BBs are excellent.

If this is a marketing ploy, there could be some value to doing that. I would much prefer they spend that money drawing customers from competing devices.

Perhaps the OP could explain why he or she believes RIM should offer existing customers a BB10 device at the buyout cost of their existing contract.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    06-18-12 10:47 AM
    Just not feasable finanicially.... As the carriers ususally talke a hit by subsidizing the handset for long term contracts unless RIM arranges a decent compensation Plan.... not sure what incentive they would have....

This idea that because somone brings out a new item every year is confusing... when you a car... you cannot expect the dealership to upgrade your car next year....
    06-18-12 10:48 AM
    Yes I understand RIM would have to front the costs for the carriers and maybe that's not a feasible option.

This idea just somes from the fact that I personally believe if bb10 fails then RIM is done. Ideally they would attract customers from other platforms, but I'm not sure that will happen (based upon the slow affinity to windows phone 7 and previous history of the orginal palm pre release).

I guess I'm just looing for ways for RIM to keep afloat because I would hate to see them go.
    06-18-12 11:27 AM
    I currently don't even want a BB10 device and am very satisfied with my Bold 9900. The first BB10 device will be all touch, no match for my Bold's benchmark QWERTY keyboard. So keep your upgrade, until RIM comes out with a Bold or Torch slider with BB10, I am not interested...
    06-18-12 11:33 AM
    OP,
    You make an interesting point. I would say that I don't expect this to happen tough because the carriers pay full "retail" price for these devices and subsidize them. They make their money back over time and then some (obviously they are for profit organizations).

For them to do this would saddle them with OS7 devices they will find harder to sell. Now, if RIM can take those devices and sell them internationally that may not be so bad and it is a win/win.

However, I would say that many current BlackBerry owners will upgrade but the new phone should also get quite a few non-BlackBerry users. It does not have a physical keyboard, it has the bigger screens people seem to want, etc.
    06-18-12 11:35 AM
    OP,
    You make an interesting point. I would say that I don't expect this to happen tough because the carriers pay full "retail" price for these devices and subsidize them. They make their money back over time and then some (obviously they are for profit organizations).

For them to do this would saddle them with OS7 devices they will find harder to sell. Now, if RIM can take those devices and sell them internationally that may not be so bad and it is a win/win.

However, I would say that many current BlackBerry owners will upgrade but the new phone should also get quite a few non-BlackBerry users. It does not have a physical keyboard, it has the bigger screens people seem to want, etc.
    06-18-12 11:38 AM
    There is a middle ground solution here I think. When the iPhone 4 was introduced, Apple got AT&T to accelerate people's eligibility by a few months. So basically as long as your next upgrade was available by October of that year (or something like that), you could go ahead buy the phone at launch with full subsidy.

So that way it wasn't every customer on AT&T, but it allowed Apple to accelerate the launch numbers a little. I think that might be a good idea for RIM, since everyone will be watching those first month sales of BB10.
    06-18-12 11:40 AM
    I currently don't even want a BB10 device and am very satisfied with my Bold 9900. The first BB10 device will be all touch, no match for my Bold's benchmark QWERTY keyboard. So keep your upgrade, until RIM comes out with a Bold or Torch slider with BB10, I am not interested...
    Pretty much for me too. I cant upgrade until Spring 2013 anyway, so hopefully a keyboard version is out by then.
    06-18-12 11:57 AM
    Service Providers make a lot of omonet tying subscribers to plans. If they indeed made a deal like this, then iPhone users and Android users will shout for the same. I think service providers won't be able to cover their losses if this happens...
    I do agree what you are saying about service providers-and every other platforms will be screaming for the same treatment //how ever RIM should at least consider a rebate or something on that line,,,,
    06-18-12 12:12 PM
    I do agree what you are saying about service providers-and every other platforms will be screaming for the same treatment //how ever RIM should at least consider a rebate or something on that line,,,,
    RIM already has a Trade up Program for devices up to OS 6 I believe. No doubt that once BB 10 launches OS 7 will be opened up for that as well.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-18-12 01:44 PM
    I think RIM needs their dedicated users to buy bb10 phones. So I think RIM should work out a deal with the US carriers where anyone can upgrade to. A bb10 device even if they aren't technically eligible. That would allow those with the new devices to pick up the latest blackberry.
    Totally agree with your first sentence. The #1 goal of BB10 should be to keep BB users from defecting to other platforms. It must stop the bleeding (hemorrhaging to be honest). To that means, they should do everything in their power to facilitate current BB users upgrading to a BB10 device. Along the same idea of your post, what RIM could do is increase the current rebates that they give to users who upgrade from an old BB to a new one... say to $100 across the board. Many carriers also give rebates for turning in old phones. If they can get the carriers to increase what they offer and combine it with they offer, you're looking at close to upgrade price/rebate.

Good luck proving that as I would testify that the existing BBs are excellent... I would much prefer they spend that money drawing customers from competing devices.
    There are many (including myself) who would testify they are far from excellent. That will be the harder task IMHO and as such should be secondary to keeping current BB users.

This idea just comes from the fact that I personally believe if BB10 fails then RIM is done. Ideally they would attract customers from other platforms, but I'm not sure that will happen (based upon the slow affinity to Windows Phone 7 and previous history of the original Palm Pre release).
    Agree 100%. If BB10 fails, then so does RIM. The belief that many have here that BB10 will attract many from iOS and Android astounds me! What makes you think that will occur 1) given RIMs history and current negative stigma and 2) previous handheld devices history?

And this is why, the more and more I think of it, BB10 will not be the savior RIM hopes for and needs. If RIM can not keep current BB users from leaving or get current users to upgrade upon initial release then they may not survive to a release a second BB10 device. The first device should have a keyboard (akin to the current Torch or Blade mockup).

I would say some, not many. It may have the bigger screen that many want, but it won't have the keyboard many BB users want which is a mistake. Why would quite a few non-BlackBerry users upgrade to a BB10 device. It likely will not have the major apps that iOS or Android has. Based upon RIM's history it is likely to not have top of the line hardware that Android users compare handsets against. Current top of the line hardware is 2gb of ram and 32gb hd (default). Does anyone think RIM will release a BB10 device with those specs in 3-4 months?

So that way it wasn't every customer on AT&T, but it allowed Apple to accelerate the launch numbers a little. I think that might be a good idea for RIM, since everyone will be watching those first month sales of BB10.
    That's definitely something RIM should aim for.

Pretty much for me too. I cant upgrade until Spring 2013 anyway, so hopefully a keyboard version is out by then.
    If many BB users wait until a keyboard version is released then RIM is in serious trouble.
    06-18-12 01:49 PM
    A costly plan indeed. Assume a Torch costs $175 to make and that RIM has 15 million users in the US.

This would cost $175 x 15,000,000 = $2,625,000,000

Worldwide RIM has very roughly 70 million users so....

$175 x 70,000,00 = $12,250,000,000
    A cheaper solution would need to be found, I think.

However we would all be very happy.

06-18-12 01:57 PM
    It was also suggested by someone for the carriers to allow everyone that doesn�t have a BB7 device to upgrade to either the BOLD 9900 or Torch models and still be able to use their upgrade discount when BB10 launches.
    This would work well for a lot of us who are holding on to their TORCH 9800�s, wanting a BOLD 9900 or TORCH 9810, but not wanting to give up our upgrade. This would clear out a lot of back stock before BB10 hits the shelves.
    06-18-12 02:06 PM
    That is ny big worry - the dedicated RIM users won't even want the new bb10 phone due to no physical keyboard. Maybe it is RIM's strategy to go the big screen/full touch route in order to gain new users...meanwhile hoping that those with bb7 or less devices are willing to wait even longer for a keyboard device.

I don't know how many people are willing to turn down the gs3 and iphone5 type devices out there...but I hope we can all hold on.

I currently am using a 9900 and will probably buy the first bb10 phone unsubsidized.
    06-18-12 04:11 PM
    Huzzah for physical keyboards!
    06-18-12 04:35 PM
    I don't think it would be a bad idea. This way the carrier gets a 2 year contract resigned for a longer stay.

Win win for all.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    06-18-12 10:20 PM
    yes give them the option just to see them get a gs2,htcx or iphone
    06-18-12 11:53 PM
    That would be such a good idea. I could just picture the commercials, with the slow passing of the days on a calendar until you think you're eligible for an upgrade. Then BB10 flys be the screen and it's ELIGIBLE FOR UPGRADE.

That might get some people motivated to try BlackBerry10, especially if they're on some low end Android and want to try something different. It would be a great for RIM in terms of marketing, and great for the carrier because they'd get everyone to extend even further.
    06-19-12 01:26 AM
    When BB10 is launched, there'll be tens of millions of users out of contract, either using old BB's, early BB7 devices, or non-BB's. More than enough for a healthy sales launch.

Recent adopters of BB7 knew what they were getting into (or wouldn't care anyway), and if they're such BBfreaks, will probably fork out full price, which will enhance the sales hype.

Whining for (effectively) a freebie is not pro-RIM - their need to subsidy OP's idea could be disastrous for cashflow, as it'll occur at the point where they have highest stock level and are already having to take a hit on the unsold OS7 units.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-19-12 01:38 AM
    RIM just relesed their latest flagship devices last year, and now they will have bb10 devices in a couple months. I think RIM needs their dedicated users to buy bb10 phones. So I think RIM should work out a deal with the US carriers where anyone can upgrade to. A bb10 device even if they aren't technically eligible. That would allow those with the new devices to pick up the latest blackberry.
    Why should there be an incentive ? To get a better device
    It will be a full year (i.e iPhone like life cycle)
    Then, carriers (somehow helped by RIM undercover) will probably make incentives.
    Want it ? Buy it: No panhandle. Can't destroy the brand image.
    Can't handle it ? Just wait ... no big deal.
    06-19-12 04:09 AM
    That is ny big worry - the dedicated RIM users won't even want the new bb10 phone due to no physical keyboard. Maybe it is RIM's strategy to go the big screen/full touch route in order to gain new users...meanwhile hoping that those with bb7 or less devices are willing to wait even longer for a keyboard device.

I don't know how many people are willing to turn down the gs3 and iphone5 type devices out there...but I hope we can all hold on.

I currently am using a 9900 and will probably buy the first bb10 phone unsubsidized.
    Honestly, I'm not sure I will want one either, but I will take a wait and see approach. What it does do though is make me now compare it to iPhone 5... that probably won't be a good thing.
    06-19-12 10:39 AM
    I started a similar post a while back along with a poll. It can be found here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...-later-727391/
    06-19-12 01:04 PM
    But Iphone 3s owners can upgrade to IOS6 when it comes out. Those who bought the newest blackberry running OS 7 will be out of luck.
    06-19-12 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD