07-19-08 05:13 PM
52 123
tools
    That very well could happen. However, I think if we tweak the in store experience here, you have a win regardless. If someone comes in and says, "I have this new BT, but I can't figure out how to hook it up;" then the store can say, "great, here's how you do it..."

Now, if the customer says, "I still won't be able to figure it out;" then you can say, "we'll be more than happy to do it for you for $x,and I'll even walk through it with you!"

The customer can then decide, do I want to pay a nominal fee for this, or should I figure it out myself? At this point, you've tried to help them out - at no charge, or you will do it for them for a small amount, but show them how to do it so they know how next time. Now you're not just charging for this service, but also the knowledge to diy next time. This makes the value much higher to many people. Next time will they come back? Yes, because you are willing to teach them how to work their electronics, not just tell them to buy a more expensive item.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-08 04:59 PM
    To Senor Salient Consulting and other posters:

First, I enjoy exchanges such as these. Too bad it couldn't be over a festive beverage in person.

I have to concede this point... but... (it's the lawyer in me - I can't just answer directly) . . .

I think I'd prefer to modify that sentence to read: "I want customers, and I want them to be happy." In order to get them to be customers, there may be a certain portion of business-building that involves giving away a sample. Works for Chik-fil-a, Starbucks and bakeries, not to mention service-based businesses.

You're 100% correct - your goods, services, advice, etc are yours to give. I'm not trying to force anyone to do something contrary to their own vision of how the business world should work. You don't want to say yes to a request for a request for a free service? So be it. The ball is in the customer's court at that point. Pay for the service or walk. If they choose to pay, you "win." You haven't given away anything and you just increased your profit margin by a small fraction. Bravo.

Or did you really win? The customer needed the service, but now they're probably not the "happy customer" you wanted. They probably feel a little ripped off. Unhappy customers don't return. I'm only talking about a small, relatively insignificant request - oh, say pairing a headset. I'm not suggesting that I should feel slighted if I drive to the corner gas station and ask if they "wouldn't mind changing my oil for me gratis?"

And if the customer walks, you haven't won. Yes, you lost that "sale" of your small service. You probably also lost that customer for life. In looking for their next electronic purchase, do you think the customer is going to go back to your shop? They'll probably avoid you, thinking you're going to charge for every little thing.

Agree to disagree?
    I enjoy it too, Abe. Hopefully there are more like exchanges in our future

Remember, they're only customers after they sign the contract! What has to be done to get to that point is an individual decision.

Remember: Time is the most important commodity in your life. It is theONE thing you can neither get back, nor acquire more of. (ended a sentence in a preposition, i know )

Therefore, I value it like nothing else in this universe. You want my time? You're going to give something to me that compensates for my inability to get back the time that I give to you, simple as that.

As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, I can always make more money, buy more stuff, go more places, or win more internet debates. I can't ever get back a single nanosecond of time. With or without my consent, the seconds of my life tick by leaving me shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

P.S. Getting/keeping a customer isn't about winning; it's about what is right. I'll let the penny-pinchers hassle my competition.

Sincerely, Abe, I have enjoyed this. Do let me know what you think of Ms. Rand, and hopefully we'll do this again soon.

Your friend,

John

P.S.S. If anyone else would like to read the books I mentioned earlier, let me know (PM/PIN).
    07-19-08 05:13 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD