This happened today :

Before my flight, I was sending some emails before takeoff while others were still getting seated.

Out of nowhere a woman getting seated in the row behind me exclaims (quite loudly): "Oh my god that's a Blackberry!"

She then goes on to say how she really misses her Blackberry because her employer replaced it with an iPhone a couple of months ago and she didn't have a choice. She said she's only had Blackberry devices since 2000.

What struck me was was that she asked "When did they come out with that. It looks gorgeous". I told her it's the new phablet and it's called the Passport!

Didn't really try to demo or explain features as people are now curious why this woman is hunched over her seat looking at my phone, but she let's me go and says, "Wow, you're so lucky! I miss mine so much!"

Didn't dawn on me till later that here's a genuine blackberry lover and even SHE didn't have any idea the Passport exists!!!!

SMH.....

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 09:24 PM
    This happened today :

Before my flight, I was sending some emails before takeoff while others were still getting seated.

Out of nowhere a woman getting seated in the row behind me exclaims (quite loudly): "Oh my god that's a Blackberry!"

She then goes on to say how she really misses her Blackberry because her employer replaced it with an iPhone a couple of months ago and she didn't have a choice. She said she's only had Blackberry devices since 2000.

What struck me was was that she asked "When did they come out with that. It looks gorgeous". I told her it's the new phablet and it's called the Passport!

Didn't really try to demo or explain features as people are now curious why this woman is hunched over her seat looking at my phone, but she let's me go and says, "Wow, you're so lucky! I miss mine so much!"

Didn't dawn on me till later that here's a genuine blackberry lover and even SHE didn't have any idea the Passport exists!!!!

SMH.....

Posted via CB10
    Lack of advertising , it's a shame. I get similar responses to mine.
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    04-16-15 09:31 PM
    Lack of advertising , it's a shame. I get similar responses to mine.
    I get the same about my Q! People say "I loved my BlackBerry, I didn't know they still made them".

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 09:38 PM
    Its a shame that there's no marketing for the phone. The most we can do now is us Blackberry loyalist does the free advertising for Blackberry until they are out of the danger zone.

Did you at least inform her that BB10 is compatible with her company network now and that current Blackberry no longer requires BIS or BES subscriptions to use corporate emails?

Long live the most delicious fruit on the planet.
    04-16-15 09:47 PM
    Happens all the time.

BlackBerry is too arrogant to think they have to advertise... and too stupid to realize they can NEVER be successful if no one even knows they exist.

BlackBerry 2015 = Stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 10:05 PM
    I was told today by a salesgirl that she hadn't seen a BlackBerry in forever. Being that I'm in Canada, I suspect she actually hasn't seen a BlackBerry with a keyboard forever. I'm betting Z10 and Z30 models are mistaken for iPhone and HTC all the time.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 10:15 PM
    You are correct. Many people have said to me "so you finally got an iphone". I just smile and say, no, it's a BlackBerry Z30!!
    bb624 likes this.
    04-16-15 10:29 PM
    You are correct. Many people have said to me "so you finally got an iphone". I just smile and say, no, it's a BlackBerry Z30!!
    I should have asked the salesgirl if she wanted to see three and then set my Z10 and my Q5 down beside my Passport.

Don't ask me why all three are in my purse. Even I don't know why I carry two spares at all times.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-15 10:40 PM
    Good story. I've had at least four former BlackBerry owners- now with other platforms were looking (touching not allowed) at my Z30 and asking questions not realizing that it is almost two years old. Basically gave up on BlackBerry around the time of the 9800/9810 era. Never heard of the Z30, Passport, or the Classic.
    donemt likes this.
    04-16-15 10:48 PM
    I think as of right now Chen and BlackBerry are hoping for word of mouth advertising, until the whole cash flow positive situation is strong. Once that is accomplished I wouldn't be surprised to see much more marketing

Posted via CB10
    fmb8 and thymaster like this.
    04-16-15 11:02 PM
    If you are going to be a member of the Niche market.... get use to it...
    FobiddenRiceman and Cynycl like this.
    04-16-15 11:07 PM
    I don't get the thing about lack of advertising though, I left blackberry two yea3s ago, didn't see any adverts but when upgrade time came I googled 'new BlackBerry phones' and up popped the passport and classic, maybe I just never fell into the ios black hole as far as the rest of them.

Posted via CB10
    bp2k7 likes this.
    04-16-15 11:24 PM
    I was talking to a coworker today that still uses the same flip phone he's had since 2004. I was getting on his case about how it was impossible to get a hold of him when he signed off Lync (internal im),.. so I sent him a link to the Passport on Amazon.

Even he replied,.. "I thought BlackBerry stopped making phones."

It's amazing to me how consistently uniform and widely held this "knowledge" is... regardless of the level of technical acuity.

The irony is that I don't think either Samsung or Apple put a dime of traditional marketing directly towards bashing BlackBerry and reinforcing this misconception.

It was ALL BlackBerry, and their disastrous decisions, omissions, delays and execution...

Posted via CB10
    bp2k7 and donemt like this.
    04-16-15 11:31 PM
    I don't get the thing about lack of advertising though, I left blackberry two yea3s ago, didn't see any adverts but when upgrade time came I googled 'new BlackBerry phones' and up popped the passport and classic, maybe I just never fell into the ios black hole as far as the rest of them.

Posted via CB10
    You "googled new BlackBerry phones."

To most people, that would be like saying: "I needed to watch movies, so I 'googled new VHS players'"

It's just not something that crosses most people's minds.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 and bp2k7 like this.
    04-16-15 11:34 PM
    I think as of right now Chen and BlackBerry are hoping for word of mouth advertising, until the whole cash flow positive situation is strong. Once that is accomplished I wouldn't be surprised to see much more marketing

Posted via CB10
    Well if you remember, Thorsten was encouraging consumers to help sales utilizing the word-of-mouth/ grass roots movement.......and we know how well that worked.

Sent from my Z30
    04-17-15 12:46 AM
    She probably only uses the phone her company gives her. Probably never really shops for phones herself. Question is is she willing to buy her own phone and get a blackberry.
    04-17-15 12:53 AM
    I've had many similar encounters with people who are curious about the Passport, even among previous BlackBerry enthusiasts. I like showing off my Passport, though.

My favorite demo: turn it sideways and scroll through a document with the keyboard. People LOVE that.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-17-15 12:58 AM
    BB has everybody's email address that has a BBID and everybodys email whom have downloaded BBM. Sooo many email addresses and no clue what to do with them. I know what I would do with them. Send some form of advertising. Maybe once a week. Just saying.
    04-17-15 01:26 AM
    I also encountered people like those a couple of times now. While they love BlackBerry for multiple reasons, they don't follow technology news at all. And without any real advertising and carrier support, they simply never get to know BlackBerry has changed and is now offering devices like the Passport, Z30 or the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 03:33 AM
    The passport gets lots of attention. I always get a wow whats that.
    bp2k7 likes this.
    04-17-15 04:11 AM
    Hi,
    Yesterday I was walking out of a store and the cashier saw my red Passport that I have holstered in a Seidio holster and said "Wow is that a phone? it is big!" I said yes it is the Blackberry Passport. she said "A Blackberry?, Wow that is the coolest phone I ever saw" of coarse i had to show it to her after that. That was the first time someone said anything about my phone.
    04-17-15 04:38 AM
    I have never received a positive reaction to my phone. Getting tired hearing people say wow is that a phone its so big does it even fit in your pocket. I swear if I had a penny

Posted via CB10
    quadcells likes this.
    04-17-15 05:03 AM
    How does it not cross peoples minds? It's a phone there are numerous brands I googled numerous other brands as well because I was in the market for a new phone, same thing I'd do if looking for a holiday or coffee machine I wouldn't see an advert for Thompson holidays and assume it's the only holiday company available or see an advert for tassimo coffee machines and resign myself to the fact that I can only now have coffee from a pod and no other ways exist anymore.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-15 05:52 AM
    It has the screen ratio that is ideal for viewing x-rays but all the Radiologists, in my Canadian hospital, never heard of it. This includes the guys who use to have Bolds but now have iPhones. BlackBerry does not advertise in medical journals, or any place it seems, although the huge health care sector was one of Passport's targets. They have >3 B cash. Guess Chen never heard the expression " I never saw a hearse with a U-haul behind it"

TCB on Z10
    FF22 likes this.
    04-17-15 05:55 AM
    As Elon Musk said: 'if the product you are trying to sell is good enough you don't need to spend money on advertising'

Posted via CB10
    bp2k7 likes this.
    04-17-15 06:41 AM
57 123