So, I bought a phone off of Craigslist a couple of days ago. Nothing was wrong with the phone, everything worked properly etc etc. So today I went to take the phone in to have it activated and the woman notified me that the phone I had purchased could not be activated due to the fact that it was on the "Lost and Stolen List..." & the ESN needed to be cleared in order to use it.
    I was SOOOO pissed. Now (of course..) the guy I bought it from is answering none of my calls and is impossible to get in touch with (go figure) and I have no idea what to do from here. Is there any hope left? Any way to clear the esn? Something? Anything? Or have I just been totally and completely scammed?!? Please, somebody help. I feel so stupid. ugh.
    06-23-09 08:48 PM
    Scammed, yup.
    06-23-09 08:49 PM
    great. thanks :/
    06-23-09 08:50 PM
    if you bought a storm, unlock it and sell it as a GSM only device whilst acknowledging the ESN is not clear?
    06-23-09 08:51 PM
    Maybe file with the police? For future reference, if you're buying a used phone always call the carrier beforehand. Sorry that happened to you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 08:53 PM
    whats gsm only?
    06-23-09 08:53 PM
    Happened to me christmas 07 buying a gift for my son from ebay (mogul). It sucks. I know how you feel.

06-23-09 08:56 PM
    Seriously. I feel like I just literally threw a bunch of money in the garbage. Sad that people are so shady. I guess It's a lesson learned at the very least. A lot of people are telling me to buy a new phone on ebay. I don't know though. Is ebay more reputable or am I just putting myself at the exact same risk?
    06-23-09 08:59 PM
    First of all sorry this happened to you. It is a shame that ppl are that low down and want to scam others. With ebay you get some protection where you can file fraud claims but you are ultimately at the seller's mercy once again. If you do decide to go with ebay, check the feedback for the seller and also read the description carefully.
    06-23-09 09:19 PM
    Seriously. I feel like I just literally threw a bunch of money in the garbage. Sad that people are so shady. I guess It's a lesson learned at the very least. A lot of people are telling me to buy a new phone on ebay. I don't know though. Is ebay more reputable or am I just putting myself at the exact same risk?
    Still a risk, but you have a better opportunity to find a more reputable seller, and of course have PayPal to cover you should you get into the same situation again. Just find a seller with good feedback and you'll be fine.

GSM only meaning someone can use the phone with a SIM card and not the CDMA (ESN) network.

This would only work if you bought a Storm and the IMEI # of that device isnt blocked as well...
    06-23-09 09:19 PM
    Thanks. Yea I realllly do not want to pay 500 dollars for a phone outright but if that's what it takes I just might have to do it. I'm so paranoid about EBAY and Craigslist now it's not even funny.
    06-23-09 09:30 PM
    Whats an imei # ?!?!?!
    Oh god is it even worth it or should I just trash this dang phone???
    haha
    06-23-09 09:31 PM
    Get it unlocked, sell it as GSM (IMEI is like the serial number of the device). Then use the money from that to purchase a new phone for yourself.

Second thread from same poster...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/gsm-what-253746/
    06-23-09 09:36 PM
    How much did you pay for the phone? The good news is, you can sell phones on ebay that have clearly posted bad ESN's, and many people buy them solely for parts, so maybe you can recover some of your money.
    06-23-09 10:00 PM
    How much did you pay for the phone? The good news is, you can sell phones on ebay that have clearly posted bad ESN's, and many people buy them solely for parts, so maybe you can recover some of your money.
    I was just about to suggest this. I've seen Curves with bad ESNs go for $80, sometimes higher.
    06-23-09 10:47 PM
    This is why I tell people to not buy phones off Craigslist. For every good transaction there's a bad one.

06-24-09 01:27 AM
    Sorry to hear you got scammed but when I buy any Verizon or CDMA phone off of their I always meet at the retail store to activate before hand. If they dont want to meet then I just on to the next one. Again sorry but sell it as a GSM only phone just everyone here is suggesting. Good luck.
    06-24-09 02:16 AM
    I just had the same thing happen to me recently, I'm on Sprint and I know I can have it unlocked. Maybe I should unlock it and sell it, also, which the CDMA phones can they accept SIM cards in them?
    06-24-09 05:25 PM
    I just had the same thing happen to me recently, I'm on Sprint and I know I can have it unlocked. Maybe I should unlock it and sell it, also, which the CDMA phones can they accept SIM cards in them?
    There are 3 that I'm aware of. The 8830 World Edition is only a Dual Band GSM and only works on 2 frequecies that are specific to Europe and other regions not in the US though.

The Storm (9530 and 9500) which when unlocked will function on most GSM services

The Tour (9630) same as the Storm unless you get it from sprint, then it's already unlocked and you can use any AT&T or some other US providers.

Only catch to the Storm and Tour is that they will only function as a 2G phone in the US because they support the 2100Mz band for EDGE networks, Thought over seas they will have the 3G capabilities...
    And you need to have a 128KB SIM to put in place of the Sprint/verizon sim that is in there. I'm not sure if another carrier can activate that SIM.

I think I covered it as far as I understand these two phones. the 8830 is a waste for any of us who Rarely travel...
    09-01-09 03:31 PM
    I've been lucky because Ive bought many different products from craigslist and havent been scammed yet. The BB im using now is from CL and it works perfectly.
    09-02-09 07:43 AM
    Sue & Larry,

You two are going to have to agree to disagree, and generally avoid each other, or take it to PM. Please don't use the boards as a place to air your displeasure with each other. Please use the ignore function of the Forum, which will make you less likely to see each other's posts. Click on the Username, then click on view Profile, then click on Add XXXXX to my Ignore list.

Folks,

I deleted the whole arguement, it has no place on a public forum. Remember......

.......from our Posting Rules & Guidelines.....

Post in the Right Forum
    We’ve done our best to layout the forum categories so they are logical and make sense. When you are creating a new thread, do your best to get it in the right category. We want these forums to be value added and educational. The General CrackBerry Discussion and General RIM/BlackBerry Discussion are good places to post if you have a serious question but are not quite sure where to put it. These forums are less stringently moderated, while specific forums (BlackBerry 8700 Series for example) are more strictly moderated to maintain their quality and usefulness.

And of course, we also have the Off-Topic Discussion forum. This is the place on the site to have fun and talk about whatever. From sports to the weather to what to buy your girlfriend for her birthday (buying her a new blackberry is always a good thing), anything goes in here. Just remember to keep it clean, keep it productive and keep it legal!

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Reporting a bad post
    There is a "Report bad post" button on the top right side of each post (red/white triangle) or you can send a PM to a moderator.

We now return you to your regularly schedule thread already in progress!
    09-02-09 10:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD