I'm getting an error when performing a backup of my device. It happens when receiving the Messages portion. And states "The data was not recognized by the device."

I ended up going to Advanced and including everything but the Messages, but it would be nice to be able to include them in the backup.

Anyone know the reasoning behind this error message?

Thanks,
    Steve
    07-24-08 09:25 PM
    I had a similar error, accepting the data loss from an earlier backup meant keeping most of my data.

The good news is, it appears to be a rare occurrence.
    07-24-08 10:29 PM
    So are there messages that are corrupt?

I found this post, which sounds like they are saying to wipe the bb
    The data was not recognized by the BlackBerry device - BlackBerry Forums
    Last edited by srd05c; 07-25-08 at 07:51 AM.
    07-25-08 07:45 AM
    1. Perform a selective restore - this is described in KB10339. Avoid restoring the corrupt database that was backed up. ...
    The final step duplicates my advice, a selective restore without the corrupt portions.

Where we differ is the advise to wipe the device first. That does make a lot of sense, it is the best way to pre-clear the memory.
    07-25-08 09:56 AM
    The final step duplicates my advice, a selective restore without the corrupt portions.

Where we differ is the advise to wipe the device first. That does make a lot of sense, it is the best way to pre-clear the memory.
    So basically there is no way to back up my Messages because the db is corrupt?
    07-25-08 11:55 AM
    So basically there is no way to back up my Messages because the db is corrupt?
    Fortunately, the data base is subdivided. The odds are good only a certain part is causing a problem. The rest of the data base is still recoverable, including your messages.

When I had an error, it failed to create a current backup after the message. I had to restore from the last good backup, about a week out of date.

The first step will be to recover as much data as possible.

I have v4.5 DTM installed, so the specifics may be slightly different.

The Advanced Button will give you access to the individual data bases, including Messages.

Select everything the first time through. Note where the error occures and de-select that data base and try it again.

With a bit of luck, the loss of data will be minimal.
    07-25-08 12:05 PM
    Have a look at the corrupted data with this Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor ipd file converter $19.95. They have a free trial.

Even though this error was in the message section, I am wary of Backups because I cannot directly access my data within them.

I still do Backups of course but, I sync to Outlook far more often because I can directly read and use my personal data. I would not like to lose messages from my BlackBerry but I would really hate to lose my Calendar or worse, my Address Book. That is what sync saves for me.
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-25-08 at 12:23 PM.
    07-25-08 12:11 PM
    Fortunately, the data base is subdivided. The odds are good only a certain part is causing a problem. The rest of the data base is still recoverable, including your messages.

When I had an error, it failed to create a current backup after the message. I had to restore from the last good backup, about a week out of date.

The first step will be to recover as much data as possible.

I have v4.5 DTM installed, so the specifics may be slightly different.

The Advanced Button will give you access to the individual data bases, including Messages.

Select everything the first time through. Note where the error occures and de-select that data base and try it again.

With a bit of luck, the loss of data will be minimal.
    Thanks for the information. I did do a backup using the Advanced button, selecting everything but the Messages portion, and it backed up fine. Sorry if I was not clear about that part.

I'm really good about backing all other things up, and just forgot to keep up with this on my berry. Grr..
    07-25-08 12:25 PM
    Have a look at the corrupted data with this Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Convertor, parse, convert, backup and archive IPD files to CHM, PDF, HTML, Word, Access, Excel, CSV, IPD Extractor ipd file converter $19.95. They have a free trial.

Even though this error was in the message section, I am wary of Backups because I cannot directly access my data within them.

I still do Backups of course but, I sync to Outlook far more often because I can directly read and use my personal data. I would not like to lose messages from my BlackBerry but I would really hate to lose my Calendar or worse, my Address Book. That is what sync saves for me.
    Thanks for the tips! I'll check that app out.

I'm not too worried about backing up my messages, since they still reside on the server, and in outlook. But it would just be nice to get the whole backup working
    07-25-08 12:29 PM
    I back up a lot. Ever since you know when, I have been getting "Error backing up database(s)". Wiped all of Browser's caches, rebooted, stops in (gulp!) the clock. Does same in both Windows Vista Business SP-1 and Windows XP SP-3 DMs.

Got with VZN on 05-jan-09. Did not escalate to RIM. Nuked all of Browser's caches. etc. After one more battery pull, continued to stop at Clock Options. Re-loaded Desktop Manager. Still no joy. We ended up doing full wipe, restore from 30-jan-08. Could then do backup. I was impressed by two things: (1) tenacity of VZN rep and (2) low impact of full wipe: had to re-init two third party beta apps (that were both still installed): vlingo (4.6) and my (Jonathan's) Storm Launchers for Accuweather active radar, Y! Mail, Y! SPAM, Reuters, CrackBerry/blackberrystorm. Still looking for saved articles from WSJ and AP. Also, screen layout had minor glitches: (1) portrait had two rows, not 1 row of icons and (2) landscape needed to be reset to 4x4 icons. All messages, emails, and address book intact ! Huge music section from iTUNES seems OK. Pictures OK.

Doctor Neutron 4.7.0.75 / VZN
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 01-05-09 at 10:42 PM.
    01-03-09 06:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD