I've been having this problem for almost 2 weeks and haven't been able to solve it. I have posted on several threads but haven't got an answer so I'm starting a thread to see if anyone has any idea on how to solve this.
    This started happening after I downloaded Bold beta OS 5.0.93 (also with .90) and tried installing it on my device. I've tried DM 4.6, 4.7 and 5.0 and it always happens. I've tried using the loader.exe app and it also happens. It looks like a Windows problem (I'm on Vista Home Premium) but haven't been able to find anything on the net.
    FIrst time this happens to me.
    BTW, this problem started appearing on my new laptop.
    Thanks in advance for the advice.
    05-11-09 01:31 PM
    Good call, starting a thead is the best way to focus on your topic.

First, the good news. There is no problem with Windows Vista and either version of BlackBerry Desktop Software is fine. Some have expressed a preference for v4.6 English only without Media Manager. It's known rock solid.

The first supsect is your Beta OS package. Before you start experimenting, you should install one that you can fall back too if anything goes wrong. I would suggest your carriers supported version first.

Post back if you have any questions.
    05-11-09 03:52 PM
    I have 4.6.0.266 installed and running
    I have installed and re-installed .93 several times and still have the same issue
    05-12-09 04:44 PM
    I have 4.6.0.266 installed and running
    I have installed and re-installed .93 several times and still have the same issue
    Excellent. You have a stable v4.6xx in place, you can be confidant you can roll back if needed.

That is critical before the next step.

I am advised, the most successful technique is to wipe the device first. It will then install the v5.xxx software.

CrackUtil will do the job.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackutil-85617/
    05-12-09 04:52 PM
    BTW, this problem started appearing on my new laptop.
    Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Did you try it on another computer?
    05-12-09 04:53 PM
    I think I got that when I followed what I will call the UPDATE over the web for my 8830. I followed prompts that suggested an update for my OS was available. Then it wanted to "update" my apploader software or something like that (this was about 4 weeks ago), and I allowed that to happen. It did finally upgrade my OS but thereafter, I could not use Desktop Manager (DM) to loader or upgrade applications on my phone. I believe I got that or a similar error message.

I UNINSTALLED DM and maybe even the OS for the phone and I can't recall if there was a Apploader upgrade in
    "Add or Remove Programs"

I also have Vista home premium.

Afterward I reinstalled DM 4.6 and the phone's OS. And it was fixed.
    05-12-09 06:59 PM
    Excellent. You have a stable v4.6xx in place, you can be confidant you can roll back if needed.

That is critical before the next step.

I am advised, the most successful technique is to wipe the device first. It will then install the v5.xxx software.

CrackUtil will do the job.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackutil-85617/
    so i do need to wipe the device? there is no other way around it?
    thnaks
    05-12-09 07:07 PM
    I have not done it myself, but members that have installed it suggested the technique.

Wipe, then install.

That's why I insist you have a backup and a roll back before you proceed.
    05-12-09 07:18 PM
    well, now it tells me that there is no software available for my device after clicking on 5.0!!!!
    05-12-09 07:38 PM
    I know that you guys have more expirience in this than me but when I see a message on my PC sayng that the Handheld App Loader Wizard has stopped working I kind of think the problem is in the PC and not on the phone, so why the drastic measure to wipe the device?
    05-15-09 09:09 AM
    I passed on the suggestion made other members, but it is pretty clear it is not the solution for your problem.

This brings us back to your downloaded v5 package. Have you repeated the download to rule out a bad download?
    05-15-09 11:54 AM
    yes and I get the same message every time I try to install it or any other software package... I think it has something to do with the application updater, the one Blackberry has that goes through IE...
    05-15-09 12:18 PM
    That is possible, the presence of a stray vendor.xml file might explain the problem.

Why won't my OS update? I deleted the Vendor.xml file! - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
    05-15-09 01:48 PM
    downloading v5 from another source gave me same results...
    05-15-09 03:15 PM
    there's no vendor.xml in all my pc...
    thanks for all your help Reed
    05-15-09 03:22 PM
    yes and I get the same message every time I try to install it or any other software package... I think it has something to do with the application updater, the one Blackberry has that goes through IE...
    That is the problem that I had. There was some BB or Rim module in ControlPanel/AddRemove Programs that I was able to UNinstall and then I also removed older versions of the various OS's that I had and then reinstalled the OS to THE COMPUTER. Eventually, it worked out.
    05-15-09 04:40 PM
    I uninstalled everything, deleted everything RIM/BB, removed everything from Windows Registry, ran CCleaner, reinstalled DM4.6 - english - no media player, reinstalled .93 and keep getting the same message: "handheld loader wizard has stopped working" and then on the DM something about a fatal error.
    I tried going through apploader, run as administrator and same result.
    I can't even look at what apps I have installed on the device via DM.
    I think I'll have to wipe the device after all....
    05-15-09 07:59 PM
    I finally wiped my device and now it's loading....
    Hope it's worth it
    05-15-09 08:26 PM
    It finally worked...
    Thanks to all!
    05-16-09 12:16 PM
    Congrats - sometimes computers and phone-computers can be a real pain!
    05-16-09 10:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD