Okay a little back history.

I'm in the UK (if that makes any difference)

I was a Blackberry user from 2005 to 2007 when I had a work one for email use only. It was all setup and just worked so I never had to know.

During that time I've been using Windows Smartphones and a Palm Pre 2 on a monthly calls/texts and data tariff (Talkmobile). All very standard. I did look into getting a Blackberry a year ago but was put off by what seems to be extra charges to use them for email etc.

I now have a Playbook and it could be nice to get a Blackberry to be able to use the full potential of the combo.

My email is all via Gmail if thats of any help.

Can I just get a SIM free Balckberry, slap in my SIM and use it just fine or do I need to invest in some extra services (push email/BBM)?

Ta muchly.
    10-13-12 08:33 AM
    You'll need a data plan, bis at least across the pond. Here a bis cost no more than a data plan for any other phone.
    10-13-12 09:05 AM
    Yeah I have data on my SIM so I don't need anything else I take it?

Its just I seem to remember that if you wanted a Blackberry on monthly or PAYG you had to pay an extra �5 a month for Blackberry push email/whatever.
    10-13-12 09:12 AM
    Your sim will need to be provisioned with BIS before you'll be able to get data dependent functions working on a BlackBerry, so you'll need to talk to your carrier.
    10-13-12 09:25 AM
    For push anything I believe you need a BlackBerry BIS data plan but it may be different over there.
    10-13-12 09:25 AM
    Yeah okay, looks like I'd have to change my current setup. Looks like a no go for me.

Thanks
    10-13-12 09:27 AM
    The addition of BIS doesn't really change your setup. You might pay a nominal fee monthly for the BIS service, but a small price to pay to unlock the full potential of your Playbook...
    10-13-12 11:55 AM
    Its actually half the cost of the Playbook to 'unlock' that potential in terms of actual extra over what I'm paying a year for my tariff.
    10-13-12 12:46 PM
    If u plan to use BB solely, then you can downgrade the voice/data plan into a pure voice plan. This should cost a lot less. In place you add on a BIS plan, which may be the same, less or more than your previous data plan. BTW the BIS servers are more efficient, data usage seems less with similar usage pattern compare to non-RIMM data plans.
    10-14-12 01:34 PM
    not to mention that using bb bridge will give you data access on the go from PB. In the US they charge for that but not for the PB.
    10-14-12 08:33 PM