Hi, I got a 8310 a few days ago. I had an old 8700. Two Berries are both under ATT. But two different numbers. The 8700 is under a cooperate account. The 8310 is under a personal account. When activated the enterprise service on the 8310, (I believe at the time I was doing it, the 8700 was still connected to the server), the calling history on the 8700 was moved to the 8310. Did anybody see this issue before? Why this happens? I have big concern about my privacy. Most likely, my company is using MS exchange server for email. Can the server store calling history? If it can, what else can it store? e.g. Yahoo Go. Google email and etc. Can the company store my personal email when I use my berry to check mails? Any good idea to block leaking the private information? I heard the email server syncs contact info (I believe it's address book) on the berry. If I save my personal contact info to SIM, can the server poll the info?

Thanks,
    02-21-09 12:55 AM
    I would imagine that the company would probably have carte blanche with your information. I know a lot of companies can see every email that is sent and recieved on the computers they provide for their employees. If you are a conspiracy theorist at heart like me... You would always be very aware of what info they have, or could get at any time. It is better safe than sorry (to act like they can see everything) than to screw up by taking uneccessary chances. Even if they tell their employees that they can't or won't invade their privacy... I don't think I would totally believe them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 01:05 AM
    On BES there is NO expectation of privacy. The BES Admin can, at his or her discretion, enable/disable every aspect of your device, track every call and URL browser hit, view every text, BBM and email both BES and BIS, and if GPS is on, track your location (or, for that matter, turn GPS on or off remotely and keep you from changing the setting). I imagine that very few companies do this with BES but they can.

It is good to be friends with your BES Admin :-)

Last edited by jbeachy; 02-21-09 at 10:29 AM.
    02-21-09 10:24 AM
    When you activated your 8310 on your company's BES, you surrendered any privacy rights you thought you had. If you have any concern for privacy, buy your own phone and don't connect it to the company network. Once you connect to the company's data, their legitimate security concerns trump any supposed right to privacy you thought you had.
    02-21-09 10:37 AM
    And JeffH ^^ knows, 'cause he's one of those aforementioned BES Admins :-)

02-21-09 10:55 AM
    Wow, that is wrong on so many level. I can understand why they may want to block some websites or manybe aplications that could potentialy put there network at risk. On the other hand, if you paid for your device out of your own pocket and they limit what you can or cannot do, it just doesn't seem fair, or right.
    02-21-09 11:02 AM
    No, I'm not a BES admin...just an experienced BES user. And I disagree totally with Infinet. If you connect your device to the company network, their security needs preempt your privacy desires. Buy your own device and keep it to yourself and you can do anything you want. It's yours.
    02-21-09 11:02 AM
    No, I'm not a BES admin...just an experienced BES user. <snip>.
    Oh, sorry about that, thought you were. Got you crossed up with Sith, I guess.

I agree that when you sign up to a company resource, you surrender all expectations of privacy. As you say, if you want privacy, that's great, get your own phone, don't connect to the company. To me the benefits of BES so far outweigh any privacy concerns I might have, especially since the company funds and gives me this very very cool Curve!

02-21-09 12:54 PM
    I will never connect my BB to my works BES server. I like my privacy. I have to agree that if you have a work phone it is a work phone and they have the right to have complete control over it. If you buy your own phone and connect then that is your problem for running company information through it. You have no right to privacy at all when it comes to your companies information.

02-21-09 04:45 PM
    I bought my own BB but my company provided me with a BES-enabled sim card. For personal call/sms, I replace and use my personal pre-paid card (No BES subscription). Would BES administrator be able to track my calls/sms?
    02-23-09 08:10 AM
    As an IT Manager/BES admin, I can tell you 1 thing. Take a look at any IT usage policy that you signed when you started with your company. If there is a "No Privacy" clause, then company resource you use (PCs, internet, BES, etc.) and how you use it is open to investigation if need be. I don't go around reading people's email or checking call logs, but I will if I'm directed to do so by the higher-ups (a very rare occasion, btw).
    In a nutshell, if you want privacy, keep it off the network.
    02-23-09 08:36 AM
    I bought my own BB but my company provided me with a BES-enabled sim card. For personal call/sms, I replace and use my personal pre-paid card (No BES subscription). Would BES administrator be able to track my calls/sms?
    BES identifies the BB by it's PIN. The SIM card is completely irrelevant. When one of my out of town users needs a new BB, it's shipped to me to set up. I use my SIM card to do the activation, and then ship the phone to them to insert their own SIM.

SMS tracking is not quite live. The BES takes a backup of your logs regurlarly.
    02-23-09 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD