I am just wondering, when I turned off my BB device(Storm 2 9520), it says:

Property of
    Research in Motion
    All Rights Reserved
    Engineering Use Only
    Not for sale or lease

It's kind of weird because when I turned off my friend's device (Curve 9520), it shows her Carrier.

Can somebody tell me why??
    01-05-11 01:49 AM
    Where did you get your phone? It sounds like you've got a test unit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-11 02:16 AM
    RIM is tracking your every move and call as we speak... j/k

It sounds like a hot potato.
    01-05-11 06:07 AM
    You get a test device which is not sold on market or to the Vendor.

01-05-11 07:45 AM
    man that really sucks! I hope that you didn't get it on ebay....
    01-05-11 07:50 AM
    Ok wait..you guys make me freak out.

I just read an article in another BB forum that it has something to do with a stolen unit or a wiped out one.

My questions are:

1. What will be the resolution for this?
    2. Is it safe for me to upgrade my Device Software or my OS??
    01-17-11 12:52 AM
    Ok wait..you guys make me freak out.

I just read an article in another BB forum that it has something to do with a stolen unit or a wiped out one.

My questions are:

1. What will be the resolution for this?
    2. Is it safe for me to upgrade my Device Software or my OS??
    Standard procedure to reload the OS by deleting the vendor.xml file and loading it up, use BBSAK, just in case. That's what I would do. You're lucky to find one of those

01-17-11 01:18 AM
    ^^ lucky? Perhaps but if it was a bb engineers phone that was stolen and sold the PIN should be no good andre phone wouldn't be now to access the Internet. Well, hats why RIM used to do with new devices that were an engineers. Pretty much blacklisted for nothing except phone use.

Although the previous owner could've just debranded it... I did this on a bold 9000. To be honest the carrier logo was much nicer than the text on white background. :s

01-17-11 07:59 AM
    Standard procedure to reload the OS by deleting the vendor.xml file and loading it up, use BBSAK, just in case. That's what I would do. You're lucky to find one of those

That's weird. You told me I am lucky while the other people is saying that I got a stolen phone, etc etc.

Am I lucky?? Why??
    01-17-11 08:08 PM
    Are you able to access internet, email, etc.? Also, just curious to know how you came by the phone.
    01-17-11 08:14 PM
    It's not necessarily stolen.
    I read an instruction on another forum, most of it was too intense for me to follow but basically you could wipe out the carrier splash screen and reset it to default - this could be from that.
    01-17-11 08:16 PM
    I read an instruction on another forum, most of it was too intense for me to follow but basically you could wipe out the carrier splash screen and reset it to default - this could be from that.
    Could you post a link to that forum? Thanks in advance.
    01-17-11 08:20 PM
    Are you able to access internet, email, etc.? Also, just curious to know how you came by the phone.
    Yes it is working..

Link please..
    01-17-11 08:25 PM
    I don't remember the link, I didn't pay it that much attention cuz it was such a complex procedure. I think it was in the howardforums...

01-17-11 08:35 PM
    illuvator i never read where you got the phone from carrier? ebay? craigslist? left on a barstool?
    01-17-11 10:02 PM
    illuvator i never read where you got the phone from carrier? ebay? craigslist? left on a barstool?
    from local "ebay" in the phil..
    01-17-11 11:43 PM
    its not a big deal. its most likely a test/engineering unit that was never sold through public means and probably came from RIM or someone who got a preproduction test device.

your Vendor ID should most likely say "1" instead of a carriers normal Vendor ID number. on Bold 9000 and all previous devices, people are able to use software to load the RIM engineering VSM file (which determines the Vendor ID). this file, when loaded, will change a normal carrier branded device into one of these "engineering units". seeing how the Storm 2 cannot be used with this aoftware, chances are high that this isnt the case and it was indeed an actual test unit.

as long as it works, you should be fine and i wouldnt worry about it. chances are, its unlocked too. for OS updates, you may not need to delete the vendor file, but you should anyways.

there is always the chance that engineering or test units from RIM can have their PIN disabled if they were lost/stolen or chosen to be deactivated as a preproduction device. but like i said, if it works fine, dont worry about it.
    illuvatar87 and pkcable like this.
    01-18-11 12:05 AM
    its not a big deal. its most likely a test/engineering unit that was never sold through public means and probably came from RIM or someone who got a preproduction test device.

your Vendor ID should most likely say "1" instead of a carriers normal Vendor ID number. on Bold 9000 and all previous devices, people are able to use software to load the RIM engineering VSM file (which determines the Vendor ID). this file, when loaded, will change a normal carrier branded device into one of these "engineering units". seeing how the Storm 2 cannot be used with this aoftware, chances are high that this isnt the case and it was indeed an actual test unit.

as long as it works, you should be fine and i wouldnt worry about it. chances are, its unlocked too. for OS updates, you may not need to delete the vendor file, but you should anyways.

there is always the chance that engineering or test units from RIM can have their PIN disabled if they were lost/stolen or chosen to be deactivated as a preproduction device. but like i said, if it works fine, dont worry about it.
    I cannot access my BBM because its icon is missing, that is the only problem that I have with this unit. On my other post, it was said that it has something to do with this "Engineering Use Only" thing. But no one is answering my question on how to restore the BBM icon.

Yes, my PIN is disabled (but it says "Abort"). But can I enable my PIN again??
    01-18-11 01:01 AM
    I cannot access my BBM because its icon is missing, that is the only problem that I have with this unit. On my other post, it was said that it has something to do with this "Engineering Use Only" thing. But no one is answering my question on how to restore the BBM icon.

Yes, my PIN is disabled (but it says "Abort"). But can I enable my PIN again??
    is BBM downloaded to the phone? even with a disabled PIN you should be able to load BBM onto the device even if BBM wont work. do you have a Blackberry data plan with your carrier? if so, if your internet and emails work, your PIN should too. how do you know its blocked? if your internet is working, goto www.blackberry.com/messenger and download BBM.

if the icon is still missing, then there may be a service book issue blocking the icon. report back with your findings and we can go from there.
    01-18-11 02:53 AM
    is BBM downloaded to the phone? even with a disabled PIN you should be able to load BBM onto the device even if BBM wont work. do you have a Blackberry data plan with your carrier? if so, if your internet and emails work, your PIN should too. how do you know its blocked? if your internet is working, goto www.blackberry.com/messenger and download BBM.

if the icon is still missing, then there may be a service book issue blocking the icon. report back with your findings and we can go from there.
    Is BBM downloaded to the phone?- Yes it is

Ok Doc, I'll do it..
    01-18-11 03:21 AM
    then how do you know ur PIN is blocked?
    01-18-11 04:41 AM

I downloaded it again(for 9th time). What is my next move? The icon is still missing.

01-18-11 06:31 AM
    Tried a battery pull after downloading BBM? Also, is the pin blocked? Check with your carrier.

01-18-11 06:33 AM
    Just for the record the procedure to remove the carrier screen and reset the BB to be like an engineering unit is called debranding, and it requires the use of illegal software. We have decided NOT to support this at CrackBerry.com, and have a policy against discussing it and providing help and instructions about it. Naming it is about as far as we go here. So PLEASE no links. If the info is at Howard Forum, go there, but please keep it off of CB. (dictoresno & Scrid did not cross the line)
    01-18-11 10:20 AM
    Just for the record the procedure to remove the carrier screen and reset the BB to be like an engineering unit is called debranding, and it requires the use of illegal software. We have decided NOT to support this at CrackBerry.com, and have a policy against discussing it and providing help and instructions about it. Naming it is about as far as we go here. So PLEASE no links. If the info is at Howard Forum, go there, but please keep it off of CB. (dictoresno & Scrid did not cross the line)
    Just for the record, I did not "debranded" my device. The reason why I'm here and why I posted this topic is to help someone like me on how to restore it.
    01-18-11 09:36 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD