With your second point I can agree.
    She mentions a number of apps throughout the article and it was very clear that she wants those apps in a universal inbox. She mentioned it more than once, and it's implicitly included afterwards.
    Actually, that was the whole point of the article to be honest.
    yes, she described HER PARTICULAR life. that's true. But the "whole point of the article" is obviously not just to blab on and on to the world about HER PARTICULAR LIFE. She was just using HER PARTICULAR LIFE as the setup for her article written for LOTS OF OTHER PEOPLE.

That's why the "whole point of the article" was summarized in THE TITLE. As well as in her transitional paragraph mid-way in which she says:

"What we need, then, is an equivalent universal inbox for messaging. No, not just for all your email and text messages. For everything. We need a smart inbox that'll sort messages by service, label them appropriately and will let you continue conversations within just one app."

Yes, it's true that BB doesn't have all the apps at this moment for HER PARTICULAR LIFE, but for many other readers it may, or may at least minimize the problem enough for her and other readers that it would at least only leave some services to the old method of in-out.

But....even though HUB is the solution she describes...despite it's limitations for HER PARTICULAR LIFE, she makes nearly no mention of it, nor says "What we need is what BB has already done, but on another platform like my beloved Apple that happens to have more apps written for it by developers".

She also could have said "BlackBerry does exactly what I'm describing. I wish these services would just make a darn app for BlackBerry so I, and my readers concerned with this issue, could have even MORE centralization.

But she didn't say that. And now she is paying the price for her ignorance and/or bias.
    ibpluto and Raestloz like this.
    08-28-14 08:18 AM
    Because she should have said, "the only platform to have this is BlackBerry, hopefully one day we will see this functionality on all platforms".

Rather than; : paraphrase : hub comes closest but doesn't count because it's not on android or ios.

It sure as heck does count if you're using a blackberry!
    And if the universal inbox is the most important thing to you, you'd know you can choose to have it by choosing BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    ibpluto likes this.
    08-28-14 08:21 AM
    In reply to one commenter:

Which, if you think about it, makes a bit of sense why she didn't focus on the Hub.

Nothing she is looking for exists currently.

She wants something like Mailbox that also handles IM. Like a Merging of Windows Phone 7's Mail and Messaging Hubs, but available on all major OSes, with all the email and IM functionality built into one core app.

Some people are actually platform agnostic and prefer apps that allow them to keep their platform movability intact. Can't do that with Blackberry Hub (and it's a valid point, regarless of how badly any BB user wants people to flock to their choice platform).

To achieve what she wants, you need a service that checks and aggregates on the back end and then pushes the data to a cross platform client on the device. It will be a complicated app, as it would have to deal with dispirate services with dispirate feature sets and capabilities.

Such a client would grow old quickly with most people because the Messaging Services have become incredibly bloated as of late (Stickers, Voice/Video Chat, etc.) and no one app is going to be able to keep up with the ever changing status of even a fraction of the top messaging services (which also vary in importance by region). Additionally, some of them simply will not give API access the way an app like this may need to function decently. It will either break all the time, or be perpetually in feature lag (compared to the vendor's 1st party messaging client) for a ton of their users, unless those users restrict themselves to basic SMS/MMS type messaging only.

This is part of the reason multi-protocol IM clients have declined heavily in popularity.

EDIT: Wow... Don't you guys think the deliberate and oftentimes organized hijacking of comment sections on articles is a bit disrespectful to her readers (and the article's author)?
    In terms of universal, she was talking hardware. It isn't that hard to figure out. Further, there is no reason for BlackBerry to build an integrative HUB for iOS or Android. Give your head a shake, That is Apple's and google's problem and obviously they are not smart enough to fix it. The rest of your comment on IM is simply bizarre and lacks a basic understanding of where the world is going.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys likes this.
    08-28-14 08:23 AM
    What is this magical list of apps so this can be sorted out? And what do you want from them?
    The apps she uses and I was able to find in the article, without looking too hard:
    Google Hangouts, Line, Instagram, Vine, Pinterest, Snapchat, Slingshot, Path's Talk App, Silly Yo, Facebook Chat, Twitter Direct Messages.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 08:24 AM
    And with basically none avalaible for BB10, the HUB is useless for her.
    Great that you understand that.

And by "basically none", you mean less that whatever she happens to use.

From understanding, to cluelessness in 3 lines of texts...

It's not my fault if you are unable to understand the correlation between an app that is not available, and a function the HUB therefore can't fulfil.

You stay classy.

And right now it can't, so why even consider it?
    Because not everyone may have the lifestyle she does.

Because it could at least minimize the problem she is describing, despite the fact that some apps in her life or others aren't yet written because those services choose not to.

Because from a purely technical aspect, it's the solution she's looking for and as a tech writer she has an opportunity to point it out and thus bring up the chicken/egg issue with app devs, and perhaps encourage them to get on the stick.

None of those matter, because in our current reality, all of these things never happened. Just like BB10 has practically none of the apps she needs to communicate.
    When BB10 gets the apps she wants, and they integrate seamlessly into the HUB, then you and the others complaining would actually have a point.

Actually you're entire MO is to avoid responding to anyone making a point that is beyond what you claim their point must be.

Until then, most of this thread is a testament to the sadness of fanboyism. tech-journalists.

Posted via CB10
    Fixed it for ya....
    clickitykeys likes this.
    08-28-14 08:26 AM
    yes, she described HER PARTICULAR life. that's true. But the "whole point of the article" is obviously not just to blab on and on to the world about HER PARTICULAR LIFE. She was just using HER PARTICULAR LIFE as the setup for her article written for LOTS OF OTHER PEOPLE.
    And as we should all know by now:
    Most people use apps that aren't on BB10.
    Therefore, the usefulness of the HUB, just like BB10, is limited by the apps you can have.

Until she can have the vast majority of messaging apps she and most other people use, integrated into the HUB, through them being actually available in BBW, her point holds true.

But she didn't say that. And now she is paying the price for her ignorance and/or bias.
    Are you kidding me?
    What price does she pay?
    Hahahahahahhaha

And you honestly had the nerve to tell me that this in here isn't about fanboyism?

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 08:31 AM
    And by "basically none", you mean less that whatever she happens to use.
    I counted 12 apps, with 10 not being available on BB10.
    She very probably also uses iMessage, but that's not an app.
    It however isn't available for the HUB as well.

Btw, why did nobody complain about the fact that she doesn't use BBM?

Apart from that, are we really discussing the app situation?
    It's no secret that BB10 loses out immensely in terms of available messaging apps (and apps overall).

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 08:39 AM
    And as we should all know by now:
    Most people use apps that aren't on BB10.
    What are you basing this factual assertion on? The most used servces....last I checked....are Facebook, Twitter, instagram, SMS, email, THE PHONE, etc. All there.

the usefulness of the HUB, just like BB10, is limited by the apps you can have.
    This applies to all platforms.

Until she can have the vast majority of messaging apps she and most other people use, integrated into the HUB, through them being actually available in BBW, her point holds true.
    You keep saying "most other people" without citing any data to back it up.

And, while HER points may "hold true", as I pointed out and you predictably ignored, she isn't writing an article just for her.

Are you kidding me?
    What price does she pay?
    Hahahahahahhaha
    Posted via CB10
    Um, the responses to her article. The various other articles written about her article. This thread.

Fake nervous laughter from her defenders.

And you honestly had the nerve to tell me that this in here isn't about fanboyism?

Posted via CB10
    Non-sequitur. I'd expect no less.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-28-14 08:41 AM
    What are you basing this factual assertion on? The most used servces....last I checked....are Facebook, Twitter, instagram, SMS, email, THE PHONE, etc. All there.

This applies to all platforms.

And, while HER points may "hold true", as I pointed out and you predictably ignored, she isn't writing an article just for her.

Um, the responses to her article. The various other articles written about her article. This thread.

Go home, you're drunk
    08-28-14 09:01 AM
    I know on what I am basing my assertions, but why don't you prove me wrong?
    What are the messaging apps most people use?
    Why should I do the work for you?

Same as before, be my guest, prove me wrong.

I am not ignoring anything, I just had enough of repeating myself.
    And yeah, she writes an article for the other people who read the blog, which, statistically speaking will be a crowd of 99% non BlackBerry users and a crowd of people who will use messaging apps that aren't available on BB10.
    But damn, now I just repeated myself again...

No, the laughter was a genuine one.
    I actually bursted out in laughter when I read "pay the price".
    Nobody should be serious when he says that in the context of that article.

Now, I laughed even more because:
    I have no idea who this woman is.
    I never heard of her before. But yes, I am surely a supporter

The responses in the article are pretty sensitive, even if they are mostly besides the point, because the HUB doesn't solve her problems.
    I saw 2 articles written about hers, one was UTB, a blog that any sane person should just ignore, and the other one was... Sad click bait for CB readers.
    So yeah, if she takes those serious, she has other issues, than not honouring the HUB enough.

You know a latin word :O
    That was unexpected. Consider me impressed.

You do know what that word means right?
    And if you do, you do know that you are the one commiting that logical fallacy, the moment "you fixed that for me", right?

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 09:03 AM
    Go home, you're drunk
    A very well thought out response. Truly an insight into your critical thinking.

Instagram | CrackBerry.com
    raino, Akainzo and Thunderbuck like this.
    08-28-14 09:07 AM

So is that a port/app I have to sideload?
    Yes it is?

Call me again when there is a native app.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 09:10 AM
    Maybe I'm mistaken here, but I thought the people hub was based on............people. That it's basically a contact list of people and from each entry you can go directly to any type of communication you have had with them in the past, or initiate communication using anything available on your phone. That's why the word "people" is in the title.

But, unless I don't understand the People hub, the word people is what we call in the English language...a qualifier. In other words, it limits this hub to your list of people. The Hub (on BB) is simply a timeline of ALL communications that is sorted and filtered in any way you want (regardless if anyone sending you a message if is your contact list), and it can be changed on the fly, quickly filtered to other feeds, etc and a one click (or swipe) solution to receiving or sending most well used communications types.

So, based on these two basic operational parameters, the author of the article clearly described BlackBerry's Hub, and not the People Hub of WP. I don't think the People Hub would have addressed the scenario the author presented.

Also, as another poster pointed out above, BB has similar functionality as you can click on a contact then select a tab for recent activity from that contact, then use any of those entries to get back in touch with that contact using that method.

By the way, this author isn't the only one getting things' wrong. On one of the links above, there is a line written that says.....

"On other UI�s you find yourself going between apps all the time chasing email alerts of activity in various accounts."
    People Hub super-app on the Nokia Lumia - Conversations

Of course we know this is wrong, as BlackBerry has been the king of this desired operation for over half a decade, but again, lying is so much easier.
    The underlined no way excludes BB. It merely says other UIs, not all other UIs. There is no lie being told there. Hmm, you're rightish. I'd like a BB hub like setup , but I also want my emails separate from my texts and the notification centre takes care of most of this. Also, as per recent activity WP shows threads from texts, phone calls, Emails. Does that do that as well? I'll admit here that the Q never really intrigued me because of its physical kb and I may have overlooked some things. The only full touch BB I've used was my friend's Z10 (which I recommended to him at the start of BB10, had overheating issues and Battery drain. He eventually moved to leaks and snap, then finally switched to Android).

The type of hub I'd like is if the I apps were allowed to integrate into the messaging hub like social apps do with the people hub so you can carry out rudimentary activities like IMs but switch to the apps for specific features.
    08-28-14 09:12 AM
    I know on what I am basing my assertions, but why don't you prove me wrong?
    What are the messaging apps most people use?
    Why should I do the work for you?
    If I only had a dollar for every time someone uses that exact same response when challenged about their "facts".

So, in other words, you have the data, you just refuse to show it and instead ask someone to prove something else as a distraction.

I am not ignoring anything, I just had enough of repeating myself.
    You've never once addressed that issue.

And yeah, she writes an article for the other people who read the blog, which, statistically speaking will be a crowd of 99% non BlackBerry users and a crowd of people who will use messaging apps that aren't available on BB10.
    You actually don't have any data on that "statistic" either, you're just guessing. And even if it were true....so what? If a car blogger was wishing for some feature that would be great for other people that buy cars...why wouldn't they at least acknowledge a car that has that feature even if there's not a lot of them on the road? Your logic is: it's not the first or second place phone OS, so I why even mention it.

I never heard of her before. But yes, I am surely a supporter
    You are supporting her articler and her positions (in fact making up ones for her). Thus, you are her supporter. English, my friend. English.

The responses in the article are pretty sensitive, even if they are mostly besides the point, because the HUB doesn't solve her problems.
    I saw 2 articles written about hers, one was UTB, a blog that any sane person should just ignore, and the other one was... Sad click bait for CB readers.
    So yeah, if she takes those serious, she has other issues, than not honouring the HUB enough.

You know a latin word :O
    That was unexpected. Consider me impressed.

You do know what that word means right?
    And if you do, you do know that you are the one commiting that logical fallacy, the moment "you fixed that for me", right?

Posted via CB10
    Just desperate walls of text.

Your methods are old and predictable. You simply use abrasive attacks and walls of text to ignore basic points.
    08-28-14 09:15 AM

Downloading Instagram on every other platform, go to app store. Type Instagram . Download.
    Well... pseudo-Androids like BB10 and fire OS may count do I'll give you that. Unfortunately, no tech blogger, consumer would.
    08-28-14 09:16 AM
    So is that a port/app I have to sideload?
    Yes it is?

Call me again when there is a native app.

Posted via CB10
    Why? You keep moving the goalposts....as predicted.
    08-28-14 09:18 AM
    Downloading Instagram on every other platform, go to app store. Type Instagram . Download.
    Well... pseudo-Androids like BB10 and fire OS may count do I'll give you that. Unfortunately, no tech blogger, consumer would.

It seems odd that you don't believe someone....even (gasp) a "consumer"....wouldn't go through a few minutes of steps to get some app they really would like to use.

But, yes, your point that instagram requires an extra step completely nullifies all other points being made in this thread about her article. Well played.
    08-28-14 09:24 AM
    It seems odd that you don't believe someone....even (gasp) a "consumer"....wouldn't go through a few minutes of steps to get some app they really would like to use.

But, yes, your point that instagram requires an extra step completely nullifies all other points being made in this thread about her article. Well played.
    Or you download Igrann and keep on living. These two clowns are here to bait and deflect. Bottom line, the hub does what Lee needs, she is just too pig headed to admit it

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    08-28-14 09:43 AM
    BlackBerry's marketing has indeed been dreadful, particularly in the U.S. However, while I blame BlackBerry for the fact the general public is unaware of BB10's features, including the hub, I blame tech journalists for their lack of knowledge on the very topics they're supposed to be covering.
    08-28-14 09:47 AM
    Isn't this BlackBerry's fault for not marketing? Look at the conversation started on this website because the author did not know or bring it up. I blame BlackBerry.

Q10, N5, N10.
    BlackBerry's marketing has indeed been dreadful, particularly in the U.S. However, while I blame BlackBerry for the fact the general public is unaware of BB10's features, including the hub, I blame tech journalists for their lack of knowledge on the very topics they're supposed to be covering.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    08-28-14 09:51 AM

Ps:
    I know where this will go from now, and this will only be downhill (even though this is actually hard to imagine).

When someone starts to advocate sideloading as a solution, you know that this person has lost the argument and the feeling for the current mobile reality.
    Users want an easy to use, out of the box solution
    Not sideloading.

I mean, it was clear since the beginning, that some people will try everything to shame and blame someone, because he/she doesn't adore BlackBerry, and you are obviously one of those people.

So, let's just hope that this thread will disappear into the ether.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 08-28-14 at 10:17 AM.
    08-28-14 09:51 AM
    I can see your point, but BBRY has a whole lot more to lose. It can't wait for unconcerned writers to ferret it out.
    08-28-14 10:22 AM

I didn't realize it was meant to
    08-28-14 10:26 AM
    EDIT: Wow... Don't you guys think the deliberate and oftentimes organized hijacking of comment sections on articles is a bit disrespectful to her readers (and the article's author)?
    "Deliberate" and "hijacking" are terms you used, but that is not a fair assessment. There was an organic outpouring of (well-justified) irritation at the article. It went viral because of this thread. Welcome to the internet.

Disrespectful? If a "senior editor" on a technology blog doesn't do her research, then the article she produces is not deserving of respect. People are attacking the content of the article, not the author, if you noticed. Completely justified, IMO, as long as no one indulges in personal attacks.
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 08-28-14 at 12:48 PM.
    ibpluto and undone like this.
    08-28-14 12:10 PM
    Ps:
    I know where this will go from now, and this will only be downhill (even though this is actually hard to imagine).

When someone starts to advocate sideloading as a solution, you know that this person has lost the argument and the feeling for the current mobile reality.
    Users want an easy to use, out of the box solution
    Not sideloading.

I mean, it was clear since the beginning, that some people will try everything to shame and blame someone, because he/she doesn't adore BlackBerry, and you are obviously one of those people.

So, let's just hope that this thread will disappear into the ether.

Posted via CB10
    It started going downhill when you consistently and persistently denigrate BlackBerry and defend a writer who did not do her research properly.

To say the hub doesn't work for every messaging app is ludicrous. Is it BlackBerry's fault that some developer doesn't utilize all that BlackBerry has in its developer resources to make their app Hub functional? Any app can be made to work with the Hub. The developer just has to do it. The capability is there. BlackBerry created it with that capability. The senior editor of engadget should know that. It is not an app. It is a feature of a BlackBerry phone. You want the feature, then buy the phone. Just because her phone of choice hasn't innovated anything I'm a long time is what she should focus on. BB10 is a Mobile OS that really works well, Allows effective multitasking and does it better than any other Mobile platform.
    ibpluto, spikesolie and undone like this.
    08-28-14 12:33 PM
236 ... 78910