Is there a way to end an unresponsive program on my Blackberry? Is there an app that lets you do this? Or do I have to just wait forever for the phone to realise its not responding and end it itself? P.S. I would like to not have to wait.
    09-01-10 09:26 PM
    You can do a battery pull or reset using the alt, right shift, del combo.
    09-01-10 11:08 PM
    You could also just hold the BB button and go into another app. The best thing would be a battery pull like spiral_out said.
    09-02-10 05:23 AM
    You can unlock the engineering screen, go to "JVM engineering" and "processes" and individually kill unresponsive programs a la Windows' Task Manager.
    09-02-10 08:21 AM
    I just do a battery pull... I've usually been too impatient to wait for the device to reboot after removing some software anyway, so sometimes it works out fine Kill two birds with one stone and all that....
    09-02-10 10:32 AM
    You can unlock the engineering screen, go to "JVM engineering" and "processes" and individually kill unresponsive programs a la Windows' Task Manager.

How do I do this???
    09-02-10 12:02 PM

How do I do this???
    Google "unlocking engineering screens on blackberry" or search this forum for a key generator and follow the instructions.

WARNING: THE THINGS IN THE ESCREENS ARE ADVANCED SETTINGS THAT CAN MESS UP YOUR PHONE IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

But killing tasks isn't one of them.
    09-02-10 01:09 PM
    I think some of you guys may not understand lol, if I dont want to wait the time for the phone to end the program on its own, I sure dont want to wait forever for a reboot. Hmm the engineering screen sounds like it may be something I will look into, thanks.
    09-02-10 09:54 PM
    P.S. maybe that would make a good app for someone to create, basically a task manager for our phones. Add in some other useful things like the one in windows has as well.
    09-02-10 09:57 PM
    On the few times that this happens to me (and I don't just get rid of the app) I find that pressing and holding the end call button til the Berry powers off, then clicking it again to power it back on will kill the app sometimes.
    What app is giving you problems?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 10:15 PM
    Press alt back and select the home screen - or an app that is in the app switcher box that opens. You will have to close te app eventually, but this will get you out of it quickly. You may be able to relaunch the offending app and close it from the home screen when you get a chance.

09-03-10 06:21 AM
    Thanks guys, I have been just holding the menu button and then choosing another app but then a lot of the times the next app will freeze as well. As far as which app freezes I have had numerous ones do it from Pandora to Google Maps, to Scanner Radio, to Weather Bug. I think I may reload the device software or upgrade to the Alltel one some time. I have been having other issues as well like when I click on the search box in the browser and then start typing the cursor jumps out of the box and then the keys I hit act as shortcut keys and start reloading the page and doing all kinds of annoying stuff.
    09-04-10 11:32 AM
    Thanks guys, I have been just holding the menu button and then choosing another app but then a lot of the times the next app will freeze as well. As far as which app freezes I have had numerous ones do it from Pandora to Google Maps, to Scanner Radio, to Weather Bug. I think I may reload the device software or upgrade to the Alltel one some time. I have been having other issues as well like when I click on the search box in the browser and then start typing the cursor jumps out of the box and then the keys I hit act as shortcut keys and start reloading the page and doing all kinds of annoying stuff.
    I think I see the problem, you may have too many apps open at once. BlackBerry's are not designed to shut down apps and recover memory on their own. Try shutting apps that you are not using down (usually in the menu as "Close" or "Exit") and see if that helps you out.

09-04-10 11:47 AM
    No thats not it Max, I am kinda ocd about shutting down apps that dont need to be running. When it has frozen there was only the one app open (besides the default ones). I think I will just try updating to that alltel or whatever it is build.
    09-08-10 07:16 PM
    I don't read thru every thread to check if this has been covered but... To shut apps a totally down without having to hit the back button a bunck of times, then opening the menu to "close" or "exit", press and hold the "Escape" key. It works on my vzw 9630, no matter what os I run hybrid or stock. The only exception I can think of is Pandora, I still have to open the menu and choose "shut down..."

09-08-10 07:30 PM
    No thats not it Max, I am kinda ocd about shutting down apps that dont need to be running. When it has frozen there was only the one app open (besides the default ones). I think I will just try updating to that alltel or whatever it is build.
    Swing and miss!
    Eh, it was worth a shot. Good luck with the new build

09-08-10 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD