The article has a link to another article about a "falling giant". In this case, not Blackberry.

Interesting stuff...

Analysts predict the end of the smartphone boom

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-08-16 05:28 AM
    It's true, the big growth of the market with big profits has ended. Even apple has started seeing some profits shrink year-to-year. But it's not something very surprising, it happens to all booming new markets after some period of time.

Also, currently you don't need to buy a high-range device to have a good device. Hardware and software have evolved to a point where a mid-range device is enough for most needs.
    06-08-16 06:02 AM
    I also agree that the big smartphone market growth cycle has ended, I also think in due time you will see the prices come down even for the mighty Apple if they want to compete with the cheaper Android devices. Unlike some of the other tech companies, Apple has a huge cash reserves that can sustain them through any major slowdown in the industry unlike some of the other manufactures like HTC.

Blackberry on the other hand was smart enough to buy some major security software companies which will at least let them continue to operate as a company, maybe not on the hardware front but the software end of the business. The next couple of years should get real interesting in this industry. I have been in the auto industry my entire life and have seen these type of cycles play out many times in the past. I am thankful I have survived both the good and bad parts and I think this is going to be an interesting ride.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    06-08-16 06:39 AM
    Yes, the upgrade/replacement cycle will start slowing down like it did for desktop and laptop computers and we will see more incremental and evolutionary updates to hardware and software and fewer revolutionary updates.

It's not hard to see why BlackBerry would be struggling in this market. They've been trying to catch the wave for years and now it's already passed.

Posted from my BlackBerry Bold 9930
    06-08-16 07:34 AM
    There is already a thread on this topic. Please redirect all conversations here:

Gartner state "smartphone boom is over" - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

THREAD CLOSED.
    06-08-16 07:58 AM