Thank you. Lol

My first hook was when I tried to do it with--believe it or not, the PlayBook, in portrait mode. I can type rather fast there that way, but the auto correct feature is a far cry from BB10. So I tried it with the Z10 next (belongs to my wife but it is actually formerly mine, and she's still using it). Despite the success and enjoyment of translating a page or two at the time, the screen felt too small and the keyboard constricting. I found my perfect typing heaven when I bought the Z30, after selling the stiff keyboard of the OG Passport.

I don't know if the SE will make the definite stop, beyond Z30. One of these days I'm gonna find out. Just a matter of time.
    Hahaha, just my irrelevant opinion.

I hated VKBs, but Z30 made me change my mind. I just ordered the "half price offer" Passport SE, I hope the KB with that wide screen get along fine. The only concern I have is if that huge block will fit comfortably in my pocket.
    09-25-16 10:55 AM
    That article...

So we have Barry, Other Barry, and now BlackBarry?
    That's right, Other Barry.

The end of physical keyboard-barry-dylan-archer-31.jpg
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    09-25-16 11:14 AM
    Hahaha, just my irrelevant opinion.

I hated VKBs, but Z30 made me change my mind. I just ordered the "half price offer" Passport SE, I hope the KB with that wide screen get along fine. The only concern I have is if that huge block will fit comfortably in my pocket.
    Yeah, one of my concerns regarding the Passport is BULKINESS. Depends on one's body size, sure, but still mostly feels rather awkward every time I pulled it off the pants pockets. The only safe and proper pocket for Passport is the chest pocket on the inside of a jacket or tuxedo. Which is ridiculous because there's only so many place I can wear such attires. Especially in a tropical country such as mine, where tuxedo is not exactly the norm. Lol

Having said this, if it turns out that the SE keyboard is indeed the ultimate tool of enjoyment for typing--which means it's better than the Z30, I'll keep it. The screen estate alone is worth it. Even if it bears VKB instead of PKB.
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 09-26-16 at 10:59 AM.
    G_Unit MVP likes this.
    09-25-16 11:30 AM
    I agree with you. I hated VKB, until I bought my Z30.

I think a phone with PKB only makes sense if the screen is big enough to make it confortable. In the case a a translator, like the guy posting before. I don't see the point of translating big pages with a PKB, when you have the small screen of a Q10. Just my humble opinion.
    If you think the pkb is just for typing, then you never really made full use of the pkb when you had one...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    anon(6038817) and idssteve like this.
    09-25-16 11:38 AM
    I could never understand why the majority would prefer to just throw their phones into their pockets. Who knows which way it'll be facing when you take it out to answer a call, if you have other things in there your phone will be all scratched up, also if you have other things in there you can lose things if other stuff comes out with the phone when you're taking it out and you don't notice, butt-dialing, it flopping around if you need to run or something... ah whatever, personal preference I guess but there are far too many unpredictable things when it is just tossed into a pocket for me...

09-25-16 11:42 AM
    Yeah, one of my concerns regarding the Passport is BULKINESS. Depends on one's body size, sure, but still mostly feels rather awkward every time I pulled it off the pants pockets...
    Having said this, if it turns out that the SE keyboard is indeed the ultimate tool of enjoyment for typing--which means better than the Z30, I'll keep it. The screen estate alone is worth it. Even if it bears VKB instead of PKB.
    It's a beast, alright -- big slabs like the Note and Big Apple are just as bulky, if not more awkward, but yeah; when you have a Passport in a suit pants pocket, you know it.

I have a Bold 9900 that I use for bike rides, gym workouts, and other times when I'd prefer a smaller device and can live without BlackBerry 10.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    09-25-16 11:44 AM
    If you think the pkb is just for typing, then you never really made full use of the pkb when you had one...

Nop, I don't think so, I was talking in the scenario of using it for heavy typing.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-25-16 01:45 PM
    I have to say that blackberry virtual keyboard is spectacular.
    David Tyler likes this.
    09-25-16 08:50 PM
    Have you tried z30 or leap vkb?? Blackberry vkb is the best out there.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this. Just got my Priv and was pleasantly surprised how good the blackberry vkb is. I got the Priv for the pkb, but I find myself typing quickly and accurately with the vkb as well, even quicker than on the pkb, which is just a bonus now.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-25-16 11:55 PM
    The saga of the wistful IT guy:
    I was working at a booth at a large festival recently, and my Priv was serving me very well at this very busy venue. I got talking with someone who stopped by the booth. I showed him my custom photo PRIV wallpaper because it was related to the product I was selling. "OH! He exclaimed, with interest, and bordering on surprise; you have a BlackBerry Priv!" He pronounced Priv with a long i so I knew he had read about them but never heard anyone talk about it who actually had one or was marketing one. "Yes, it is a Priv" I answered, with a short i. "Yes, Priv" he answered. I am pretty sure it was the first one he had seen in the wild. "Old school," he said. "Actually, not really, it also has a virtual keyboard and is an Android." I said. "Oh, I miss the physical keyboard," he muttered with a genuine tone of nostalgia, as if talking about a very dear friend with whom he had lost contact in recent years. "I used to have a BlackBerry." he said, wistfully, as he did imaginary typing with his fingers in the air. "Why not get one?" I asked. "Um,(sigh) I work in IT," he said, "and my coworkers would laugh at me." I showed him that they would not even know it had a PKB unless he opened it. I did not ask him what phone he uses but did mention that BlackBerry is involved in more than just phones, and, because he said he is in IT, that he will doubtlessly be hearing about them in the future. Then he said, "I wish them well, ah, I wish them well," before he disappeared into the crowd.
    I am sure there are plenty of people like this. BlackBerry: how do you capture their interest enough to dare to be different and buy a BB phone? (Or how do you "Make BlackBerry cool again"?) I wonder if an answer for people like this, and his coworkers, is finding more out about software that BlackBerry is bringing to market, that has been winning accolades. Then they will take a 2nd look at BlackBerry phones.
    Yet, your PKB BlackBerry can't format proper paragraphs for you.

#WallOfText

Posted via Nexus 6p
    09-26-16 02:11 AM
    Well apart from the typing experience, it's all about the fast launching no treble.
    09-26-16 10:00 AM
    I�ve been using the iPhone SE for almost three months now and before I made the switch from Passport I was dreading all the typos that I�d be making from touch typing. But to my utter surprise, it�s been a walk in the park � I type faster on the iPhone than on Passport with next to no typos and am even comfortable writing long e-mails on it. If there�s one thing that Apple perfected over time, it�s the typing experience � it�s sheer pleasure. The keyboard is quick in learning your typing patterns and style of writing and autocorrects to impressive accuracy. Having said that, I haven�t become an iOS fangirl yet and am far from it � BB10 FTW!
    Thanks for sharing. A positive experience of a switcher... :-)

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    09-26-16 08:48 PM
    Yup and also with a PKB I actually look foreward to responding to messages. With my Glass I don't look foreward to it, it is more like a task or something "to get out of the way."

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I can trick the keyboard and "tickle" a key before hitting it. I can also phantom type, before I actually hit the keys. Try that on a touch screen... :-D

root # command --dry-run --simulate

:-)

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    anon(9721108) and Ursus Rufus like this.
    09-26-16 08:54 PM
    "Mass market" wants cars.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-09-16 01:56 AM
    PKB isn't about speed or accuracy for me at all. It's about feeling.

You can spout off how much faster swiping is, or that the fastest phone typist is typing on glass. I don't care.

I switched to the Dvorak keyboard layout about 6 months ago. I'm now typing at 70 WPM compared to my 90+WPM with Qwerty. Am I faster? No. More accurate? Maybe. But you know what those figures don't take into consideration? Satisfaction. Typing on Dvorak feels more fluid and comfortable than qwerty ever did and I will never go back because of it.

Typing on my 9900 reminds me of why I made the switch to Dvorak. I can feel and hear my key presses which glass can never duplicate. I can touch type, capitalize and type symbols with little effort. It's just a much nicer experience to me.

It's also satisfying to have no apps cluttering my home page, and to know that I can be anywhere on my phone in at least 3 button presses, barely reaching or moving with my thumb.
    11-28-16 06:40 AM
    physical keyboard is still best way to accurately type on a phone. I was at 4 day seminar last week and I typed all notes on my priv. this was such enjoyable experience. I am very happy to own priv. I wish blackberry released. passport 2 with Android. I would buy it in instant.
    danifulger likes this.
    11-28-16 10:02 AM
    physical keyboard is still best way to accurately type on a phone. I was at 4 day seminar last week and I typed all notes on my priv. this was such enjoyable experience. I am very happy to own priv. I wish blackberry released. passport 2 with Android. I would buy it in instant.
    For YOU and others who prefer PKB.

There are hundreds of millions of us who are happy to type on an on-screen keyboard and find it just as accurate as PKB.
    Last edited by Tsepz_GP; 11-28-16 at 12:51 PM.
    Bbnivende, TGR1 and TgeekB like this.
    11-28-16 12:40 PM
    For YOU and others who prefer PKB.

There are hundreds of millions of us who are happy to type on an on-screen keyboard and find it just as accurate as PKB.
    There are also millions who have never used a BlackBerry physical keyboard, so they don't know what they're missing.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    11-28-16 03:51 PM
    I have used both on literally hundreds of devices and I can say as I type this on a passport I am far more accurate and fast with Blackberrys virtual keyboard on the z10 and z30 I enjoy using the physical keyboards on BlackBerry devices but I honestly can't agree with anyone saying they are better anymore. I work around a lot of dusty environments and dust sometimes causes issue with physical keys. I have yet to have dirt stuck under a virtual key and prevent me from using it correctly. It's all personal but i agree the physical keyboard market is far smaller than the vkb one but some people will always prefer something they can feel. Hence why haptic feedback on vkb became popular. Anyways stop hitching if someone wants to build a device and people buy it and enjoy it all the power to them

Posted via CB10
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    11-28-16 04:53 PM
    There are also millions who have never used a BlackBerry physical keyboard, so they don't know what they're missing.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    If they are happy with what they have, why worry about what they are missing.
    11-29-16 12:55 AM
    Arrivederci Innovation. (Not pkb case but that logic)
    11-29-16 02:53 AM
    Arrivederci Innovation. (Not pkb case but that logic)
    Not at all, people need to be convinced.

Many here are happy to use a BB10 and are not worried about what they are missing out on other platforms as they are happy with BB10. If they are later convinced that e.g. Android or iOS does now do what they wanted, they'll move on.

Apple do a decent job in their marketing in using innovations made by others, to get people to buy into their devices.
    11-29-16 03:00 AM
    Get what you want and be happy. But don't limit your experiences, either. You may find something that you like even better.
    11-29-16 10:32 AM
    I think there is a place for keyboard phones. While VKB has taken tremendous strides, nothing beats hammering keys. I personally use a Classic and iPhone combo for this reason alone. Classic handles any emails that need to be 100% accurate while the iphone handles emails, texts, and social media. I also use the Classic to type up any school papers. I recently retired the Classic as the daily driver and am using it for email, music, and document storage. It does have my 200 gig SD card and i don't want that to go to waste!!!
    11-29-16 10:48 AM
    I think there is a place for keyboard phones. While VKB has taken tremendous strides, nothing beats hammering keys. I personally use a Classic and iPhone combo for this reason alone. Classic handles any emails that need to be 100% accurate while the iphone handles emails, texts, and social media. I also use the Classic to type up any school papers. I recently retired the Classic as the daily driver and am using it for email, music, and document storage. It does have my 200 gig SD card and i don't want that to go to waste!!!
    But if you could only afford one phone, or only wanted to carry one phone..... which would you choose?

I think most people like typing on a real keyboard, it's just that for most the screen size is more important and a VKB is fine. Personally I'm faster with predictive type and the flick feature of the BB Keyboard. Why I had HIGH hopes for the PRIV... best of both worlds. Well close anyway, as it seems even many hardcore BB fans hardly open theirs up anymore.
    11-29-16 11:02 AM
297 ... 56789 ...