The end of the physical keyboard? Perhaps a new beginning would be more appropriate.

"If the Pixel C is to be believed, the future of Android tablets involves being productivity-focused keyboard machines. The problem is Android has pretty terrible hardware keyboard support, and Google plans to make that a bit better in Android O. Google says it is "focused on building a more reliable, predictable model for "arrow" and "tab" navigation."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...e-faster-apps/

So Google seems suddenly keen on pkb, productivity, and battery life. Hmmmm...any of this sounding vaguely familiar to anyone here? Lol
    03-21-17 04:57 PM
    The end of the physical keyboard? Perhaps a new beginning would be more appropriate.

"If the Pixel C is to be believed, the future of Android tablets involves being productivity-focused keyboard machines. The problem is Android has pretty terrible hardware keyboard support, and Google plans to make that a bit better in Android O. Google says it is "focused on building a more reliable, predictable model for "arrow" and "tab" navigation."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...e-faster-apps/

So Google seems suddenly keen on pkb, productivity, and battery life. Hmmmm...any of this sounding vaguely familiar to anyone here? Lol
    It's irrelevant to phones, though. They're doing it because they want to make tablets into "convertible laptops" similar to the Surface. Of course, the concept was really pioneered by the Asus Transformer series of convertible tablets.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-21-17 07:40 PM
    It's irrelevant to phones, though. They're doing it because they want to make tablets into "convertible laptops" similar to the Surface. Of course, the concept was really pioneered by the Asus Transformer series of convertible tablets.
    Don't see how Google recognizing that improving Android for hardware keyboards (for better productivity lol) is irrelevant to BlackBerry, but whatever...
    03-21-17 07:53 PM
    Don't see how Google recognizing that improving Android for hardware keyboards (for better productivity lol) is irrelevant to BlackBerry, but whatever...
    The implication was that "physical keyboards (on phones) are important again" because Google is working to improve some aspects of how they work in Android - but Google isn't doing it for phones (though certainly PKB phones will benefit) - they're doing it for tablets. And it's very, very unlikely that these improvements will drive more demand for PKB phones, but they may well drive some demand for convertible tablets.

I'm not saying it isn't good for the K1 (assuming it gets the Android O upgrade, which is likely), I'm just saying that people won't be rushing down to their local cell phone store to buy a PKB phone because of some cursor and tab order tweaks in the OS.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-22-17 01:03 AM
    Love pysical keyboard. Like passport

 BlackBerry Passport SE SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2205
    03-22-17 01:04 AM
    The implication was that "physical keyboards (on phones) are important again" because Google is working to improve some aspects of how they work in Android - but Google isn't doing it for phones (though certainly PKB phones will benefit) - they're doing it for tablets. And it's very, very unlikely that these improvements will drive more demand for PKB phones, but they may well drive some demand for convertible tablets.

I'm not saying it isn't good for the K1 (assuming it gets the Android O upgrade, which is likely), I'm just saying that people won't be rushing down to their local cell phone store to buy a PKB phone because of some cursor and tab order tweaks in the OS.
    Sometimes I ask myself if people really feel comfortable typing on the screen, or they just lie to themselves because having a pkb phone is too nerdy. I personally hate typing on the screen. I do love pkb phones, and I strongly hope to find pkb phones on the market
    03-22-17 03:01 AM

What I was getting at is I find it interesting that with Android O, better hardware keyboard support, productivity, extending battery life, and closing down unnecessary or otherwise unauthorized background operations 'loopholes' exploited by developers (which can also be viewed as a permissions / privacy / security issue) seem to be among the key upcoming 'improvements' to Android. These are all areas BlackBerry has been criticized for focusing on in the past as having negligible market potential, and yet clearly they are being acknowledged as having value as Android continues to evolve and mature as an OS. At the very least, there is some synergy here that both BlackBerry and its hardware partners should be looking to build upon...
    03-22-17 09:04 AM
    What I was getting at is I find it interesting that with Android O, better hardware keyboard support, productivity, extending battery life, and closing down unnecessary or otherwise unauthorized background operations 'loopholes' exploited by developers (which can also be viewed as a permissions / privacy / security issue) seem to be among the key upcoming 'improvements' to Android. These are all areas BlackBerry has been criticized for focusing on in the past as having negligible market potential, and yet clearly they are being acknowledged as having value as Android continues to evolve and mature as an OS. At the very least, there is some synergy here that both BlackBerry and its hardware partners should be looking to build upon...
    Sound like the normal evolution of their (and Apple's) platform(s)....

Cart before the Horse... that was BlackBerry's problem. They focused too much on the security - for their enterprise niche, and not enough on the rest of the business world and consumers and what they wanted

I think too many here fail to understand that Security wasn't why BlackBerry once was the dominate smartphone choice. It wasn't even their keyboards. It was PUSH email that allowed for instant email with very low battery usage. That, is why most of us first came to BlackBerry all those years ago. Too be honest my Palm Treo with it's stylus and better contact and meeting features, was a better phone.... just had to carry three batteries with it.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-22-17 09:34 AM
    Sound like the normal evolution of their (and Apple's) platform(s)....

Cart before the Horse... that was BlackBerry's problem. They focused too much on the security - for their enterprise niche, and not enough on the rest of the business world and consumers and what they wanted

I think too many here fail to understand that Security wasn't why BlackBerry once was the dominate smartphone choice. It wasn't even their keyboards. It was PUSH email that allowed for instant email with very low battery usage. That, is why most of us first came to BlackBerry all those years ago. Too be honest my Palm Treo with it's stylus and better contact and meeting features, was a better phone.... just had to carry three batteries with it.
    Sure, but I am talking about (and more importanty what Google is talking about) is the future, focus, features, and devices. Not the past. The FUTURE including BlackBerry's ability to adapt to it, is also a concept "too many here fail to understand". Lol.
    03-22-17 10:42 AM
    We all understood that those things had value in general (then, and now) - but value is relative. If you don't have apps, don't have services, don't have media, don't have a good camera, and you're trying to run a successful, profitable smartphone company, than focusing on security and PKBs is focusing on the wrong place - on LOWER priorities instead of higher ones.

It's like a doctor ignoring a patient's gunshot wound, that's causing him to bleed out, in order to splint his broken toe. No one is saying that splinting a broken toe isn't important or lacks value - but when you have a sucking chest wound that's going to kill your patient in 3 minutes, maybe you wait on the toe until you've stabilized the patient and dealt with the gunshot wound.

Google (and Apple) focused on the areas of greatest value first, and now, with success and marketshare, have the luxury of coming back for a second look at much lower priorities.
    MikeX74 and StephanieMaks like this.
    03-22-17 12:07 PM
    Sometimes I ask myself if people really feel comfortable typing on the screen, or they just lie to themselves because having a pkb phone is too nerdy. I personally hate typing on the screen. I do love pkb phones, and I strongly hope to find pkb phones on the market
    As someone who heartily mocked touchscreen typing on the iPhone, I can say that I believe it's the former.

I, for one, am faster on a virtual keyboard now, and have been for some time (albeit swiping). Then, when you add in cloud sync (same keyboard dictionary across every device) and Dragon voice compatibility, and I'm set.

Still hate the iPhone keyboard though.
    03-22-17 01:14 PM
    I'm with you there.

Those vegetarians elaborating about the "vices" of sausage and steak...

Or the meat eaters ("carnivores") that don't know about really awesome vegetarian cuisine.

Goes both ways. Can't say until you try ... and know!

;-D

�   "BB10 dead?" - "Let's dance the Danse MacaBBRY! ... or is it..?" ;-D   �
    By that logic couldn't that apply to sleeping with another dude or someone of same sex/transgender

Posted via CB10
    03-22-17 03:44 PM
    Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    03-22-17 03:49 PM
    I think too many here fail to understand that Security wasn't why BlackBerry once was the dominate smartphone choice. It wasn't even their keyboards. It was PUSH email that allowed for instant email with very low battery usage. That, is why most of us first came to BlackBerry all those years ago.
    Yes it was.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.3.2049
    03-23-17 09:57 PM
    The physical keyboard is essential for me.
    03-30-17 07:01 PM
    The physical keyboard is essential for me.
    Same for me. But, as a strong BB 9900 Bold user, I am realizing that the hugeness of the BB Priv makes almost impossible for me (and my hands, which are not at all small) to use it. I guess BB Keyone would have been a better choice, but I had to wait for too long, so I bought an used BB Priv from the US (I live in Italy)
    03-31-17 02:15 AM
    Same for me. But, as a strong BB 9900 Bold user, I am realizing that the hugeness of the BB Priv makes almost impossible for me (and my hands, which are not at all small) to use it. I guess BB Keyone would have been a better choice, but I had to wait for too long, so I bought an used BB Priv from the US (I live in Italy)
    What would you say are the most common devices you see in Italy?

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    03-31-17 04:06 AM
    What would you say are the most common devices you see in Italy?

BB devices are like Pandas, they have practically disappeared , sadly
    03-31-17 04:12 AM
    BB devices are like Pandas, they have practically disappeared , sadly
    I keep hoping I will see someone else with a Blackberry, but it has been a full year now. The guy I saw had a Storm 2 of all things!

We are definately in an elite club now using these things.

03-31-17 04:20 AM
    I keep hoping I will see someone else with a Blackberry, but it has been a full year now. The guy I saw had a Storm 2 of all things!

We are definately in an elite club now using these things.

I recently smiled hugely when I saw a man who was bringing proudly his naked BB Priv in hand. This made me hopeful
    03-31-17 04:37 AM
    I recently smiled hugely when I saw a man who was bringing proudly his naked BB Priv in hand. This made me hopeful
    I have never seen one in the wild. In fact, I have not seen another BlackBerry, regardless of OS, in over two years now.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-17 09:10 PM
    I have never seen one in the wild. In fact, I have not seen another BlackBerry, regardless of OS, in over two years now.

Posted via CB10
    When someone asks me what mobile phone I have bought to replace my old (but so beautiful) Bold 9900, and my answer is "Another Blackberry, the Priv, with a pkb", they use to look at me as a miserable fool. maybe they are right, but I can't help it, I don't care at all, I am proud of what I did
    04-02-17 12:08 AM
297 ... 101112