The Wiki article has a lot of good information, but I'll pull this quote:

"If the material is destined for vinyl release, additional processing, such as dynamic range reduction or frequency dependent stereo�to�mono fold-down and equalization, may be applied to compensate for the limitations of that medium."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_mastering
    I tend to read a lot, and I mean A LOT, but you know what you are talking about, so thanks for the New thing learned, now I can go Meucci (true phone creator over Grahan Bell) with people that claims Vinyl to be Best than CD

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 09:05 PM
    I readed that Vinyl were Best
    Some people have grown to prefer the added compression (which can make some vocals or instruments seem louder or more noticeable) and reduced stereo separation - which is often described as making the sound "warmer" - and that's fine. The problem is that they're assuming (very incorrectly!) that the reason the vinyl sounds different is because it's "closer to the master tapes" - when in fact, it has greater differences from the master tapes than any other common format (except the 8-track, when it was in common use). It's fine to prefer the "vinyl sound", but I have issues with people who make statements such as "vinyl is better" that imply that "better" means "closer to the original master" - which is completely false.

To be fair, the process of recording music, having it "mastered", and replicating it on several types of media is a complicated process - with opportunities for people to make changes (accidentally or on purpose) at many points in the process, so each recording may have its own story (and many do indeed have unique stories!), but the industry does follow standards most of the time, and for good reason.

There was a time in the late 80s or early 90s when some people were convinced that you could make a CD sound better by coloring the edge with a green magic marker or sharpie - and were POSITIVE they could hear the difference. The audio world is full of crazy claims, and I am perhaps a little oversensitive to some of those false myths - and for that, well, sorry, but not sorry.
    12-05-16 09:06 PM
    This is true. CD is the closest representation to the original sound created. The only thing about vinyl that is positive is the physicality of it. The larger artwork, the flipping of its sides, the more warm distorted tones. It becomes a fuller experience. Does it sound the most accurate? Absolutely not. Will some people prefer it? Sure.

Again, this goes back to the keyboard. Is it better or more accurate? Probably not, virtual keyboards have gotten really good and it has become a habit for many people to type on glass. Is it faster? Again, probably not. The fastest phone typists are on glass. Does it make it better? No, it varies from person to person.

It's so ******* subjective. The people who enjoy the keyboard are people who enjoy the fuller experience for typing, the tactile feel of the press, the sound, and the feel of the keys. They are willing to give up a fuller visual experience for a more physical experience. Is it better? Again, maybe for some, but is it the best? Probably not for a lot of people.
    12-05-16 09:54 PM
    I tend to read a lot, and I mean A LOT, but you know what you are talking about, so thanks for the New thing learned, now I can go Meucci (true phone creator over Grahan Bell) with people that claims Vinyl to be Best than CD
    Women aside , the two major interests in my life have been music and computing, and I've been heavily involved with both of them since I was 10 or so (or, about 1980). Within those two areas, I've done a lot, known a lot of people, had some amazing opportunities and experiences, and most of all I've learned a ton from people who know even more than I do about them. Almost every job I've ever done has involved one or both, and I'm still learning new things in those areas every day!
    Laura Knotek and idssteve like this.
    12-05-16 10:06 PM
    Some people have grown to prefer the added compression (which can make some vocals or instruments seem louder or more noticeable) and reduced stereo separation - which is often described as making the sound "warmer" - and that's fine. The problem is that they're assuming (very incorrectly!) that the reason the vinyl sounds different is because it's "closer to the master tapes" - when in fact, it has greater differences from the master tapes than any other common format (except the 8-track, when it was in common use). It's fine to prefer the "vinyl sound", but I have issues with people who make statements such as "vinyl is better" that imply that "better" means "closer to the original master" - which is completely false.

To be fair, the process of recording music, having it "mastered", and replicating it on several types of media is a complicated process - with opportunities for people to make changes (accidentally or on purpose) at many points in the process, so each recording may have its own story (and many do indeed have unique stories!), but the industry does follow standards most of the time, and for good reason.

There was a time in the late 80s or early 90s when some people were convinced that you could make a CD sound better by coloring the edge with a green magic marker or sharpie - and were POSITIVE they could hear the difference. The audio world is full of crazy claims, and I am perhaps a little oversensitive to some of those false myths - and for that, well, sorry, but not sorry.
    I prefer the vinyl sound, due to its compression and warmth, but I won't say anything fallacious implying that's how it was supposed to sound on the master tapes.
    12-05-16 10:14 PM
    Women aside , the two major interests in my life have been music and computing, and I've been heavily involved with both of them since I was 10 or so (or, about 1980). Within those two areas, I've done a lot, known a lot of people, had some amazing opportunities and experiences, and most of all I've learned a ton from people who know even more than I do about them. Almost every job I've ever done has involved one or both, and I'm still learning new things in those areas every day!
    We never stop learning, and that is a good thing Troy, on topic, Keyboards are the Vinyl of today if We are honest

Posted via CB10
    12-05-16 10:19 PM
    PS I just spent a couple weeks on my iphone, put up with and all the typos (typing and voice to text) to install ios10 and test it out. Couldn't wait to pop the sim back into this 9900 and have stress free typing with physical positive feedback with a little "crack" on every keystroke.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I do so agree with you. I am going to buy an used Priv, because of the WhatsApp issue (I use it mainly for work). I can't think about me typing on a virtual keyboard. But my fear is that a sliding keyboard will be unconfortable. I would have liked to wait for the Mercury, but I am not so sure it will ever reach the market. I am now typing from my beloved Bold 9900
    12-06-16 06:12 AM
    As much as PKB can look worthless, I can text super fast on VKB, but to me PKB still has advantages. So much more confortable to use, I don't even have to look at the phone to type on a PKB, to me is the best way to type on the go.

But people got so used to the VKB that for 99% the people having a PKB is not worth the extra bulk on the phone.
    This is so, sadly true. I also think that the 99% of the people think pkb are for jerks, and not enough cool. But the bigger, sad truth, is that iPhone are labeled as the best one can have, and what about gaming and stuff? Smartphones became toys, less than working instruments. Again, sadly true
    12-06-16 06:34 AM
    I do so agree with you. I am going to buy an used Priv, because of the WhatsApp issue (I use it mainly for work). I can't think about me typing on a virtual keyboard. But my fear is that a sliding keyboard will be unconfortable. I would have liked to wait for the Mercury, but I am not so sure it will ever reach the market. I am now typing from my beloved Bold 9900
    Cool. You should hit up our 9900 forum and post about your new experiences with the 99, we would dig reading it.

I've been on the iPhone a month now, but use the 99 for CB, Twitter and FB, etc when I can, and I still have to use voice to text when I have absolutely no patience for glass. I will be using the 99 again, because I have to re-log into Whatsapp and extend it the 6 months until June. I usually go a month at a time with each device.

Some say the Priv KB is more "shallow" and not the same feedback as a 9900 because the Priv was designed to be so thin, the keys do not travel as far. If you tried one and like it then by all means go for it.

If you don't need every app out there then you might already be using the best Blackberry right now as it is
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 12-06-16 at 11:07 AM.
    12-06-16 10:45 AM
    Cool. You should hit up our 9900 forum and post about your new experiences with the 99, we would dig reading it.

I've been on the iPhone a month now, but use the 99 for CB, Twitter and FB, etc when I can, and I still have to use voice to text when I have absolutely no patience for glass. I will be using the 99 again, because I have to re-log into Whatsapp and extend it the 6 months until June. I usually go a month at a time with each device.

Some say the Priv KB is more "shallow" and not the same feedback as a 9900 because the Priv was designed to be so thin, the keys do not travel as far. If you tried one and like it then by all means go for it.

If you don't need every app out there then you might already be using the best Blackberry right now as it is
    I am not used to the "App world". I surely appreciate useful Apps like waze and so on. I hope the Priv's pkb won't disappoint me. I would have liked to go for the Mercury, but who knows even if it will ever on the market. I think slide on smartphones are not as robust as I would like them to be. Also the Priv's bulkiness frightens me, since I often type on my faithful 9900 with one hand only, which I guess with the Priv won't be doable. I am also afraid that I will get confused with all the stuf I'll have to learn to make it work correctly, enjoying all the potentialities it offers. About WhatsApp: I don't know if on this 9900 it could be extended for another 6 months. I don't know how to do it
    12-06-16 08:56 PM
    . About WhatsApp: I don't know if on this 9900 it could be extended for another 6 months. I don't know how to do it
    You now have to go to the Whatsapp website and just DL it from there. We have a thread covering this in the 9900 forum complete with the link.

And speaking of Physical Keyboards I am watching a movie and cannot identify this....

The end of physical keyboard-img_1481088471.077686.jpg
    12-06-16 11:28 PM
    You now have to go to the Whatsapp website and just DL it from there. We have a thread covering this in the 9900 forum complete with the link.

And speaking of Physical Keyboards I am watching a movie and cannot identify this....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1481088471.077686.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	310.6 KB 
ID:	413648
    Looks like a Carrier random phone

Posted via CB10
    12-07-16 07:27 AM
    Don't start me on THAT argument.

Most people don't realize that part of the process of making a recording for sale includes a step called Mastering - where a version of the master recording is modified/adjusted to deal with the limitations of the distribution medium. Vinyl records have a number of significant limitations, and the masters made for vinyl sound noticeably different than the studio master, on purpose, because vinyl has a reduced dynamic range and reduced ability for stereo separation, especially at lower frequencies. By comparison, the master for a CD will sound nearly identical to the studio master.

Thus, most of the differences you hear when listening to vinyl vs. listening to a CD are because the post-Mastering recordings for those two formats are very different, even before they're made into actual CDs or records. Some folks may prefer the additional compression, reduced stereo separation, and other changes typically made for vinyl masters, but make no mistake: what you hear from a record is not what the artist's production team intended for you to hear (the studio master). If you want to hear the closest thing to what a studio master sounded like, that's in most cases a CD, and in some cases an SACD, DVD-Audio, high-sampling-rate FLAC or ALAC, or some other higher-bitrate version of a digital recording.

I went to college to be an audio engineer originally, FWIW.
    Thank you for this

School 'em!
    12-07-16 08:17 AM
    I readed that Vinyl were Best, but if you wanted to be a sound engineer I don't have nothing to debate, in fact I didn't know about sound engineering, Just as much there don't know a penny about Electronic (not electrical) engineering

Posted via CB10
    You seem to take a lot of things that you read as truth.
    12-07-16 08:19 AM
    Looks like a Carrier random phone

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean like a dummy phone for a movie or?
    12-07-16 10:33 AM
    Dude, you don't represent me, so stop saying everyone wants VKB.
    I heard that!

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    12-07-16 10:47 AM
    You seem to take a lot of things that you read as truth.
    Just like you Sammy boy

Posted via CB10
    12-07-16 12:33 PM
    What do you mean like a dummy phone for a movie or?
    Just like the "no-brand" phones that AT&T and company sells, remember the first slider phone that T-mobile alongside with HTC did in 2009?, that's the kind of devices I'm talking about

Posted via CB10
    12-07-16 12:40 PM
    McDonalds is going fully automated, just an FYI.

Looks like students that need extra cash might be out of luck in the future.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    Time to dump them... :-D

What about McCaf�? Can you automate that? And what's the coffee gonna be like...?

�   10.3.3 - that's the go for me... ;-D   �
    12-09-16 06:23 PM
    The time to dump McDonald's was a loooonnngggg time ago. 😁
    12-09-16 07:10 PM
    Time to dump them... :-D

What about McCaf�? Can you automate that? And what's the coffee gonna be like...?

The coffee might have a little machine oil aroma to it . I don't know but a quick Google search reveals something between the movie Cars and the Terminator, with the Phoenix location already being fully automated and many more thousands to come The end of physical keyboard-img_1481335324.174831.jpg
    12-09-16 08:02 PM
    The coffee might have a little machine oil aroma to it . I don't know but a quick Google search reveals something between the movie Cars and the Terminator, with the Phoenix location already being fully automated and many more thousands to come Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1481335324.174831.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	413871
    Thanks! I'm gonna look it up.
    Food "quality" is the same?

Now capital has truly won over labour... :-(((

12-09-16 08:43 PM
    OK. Looks like this was perpetrated and propagated by newsexaminer, a fake news website... :-)

But sure, in the age of $15 minimum wage requests, their are not only thinking about it, but most likely working on it...

12-09-16 08:54 PM
    PKB isn't about speed or accuracy for me at all. It's about feeling.

You can spout off how much faster swiping is, or that the fastest phone typist is typing on glass. I don't care.

I switched to the Dvorak keyboard layout about 6 months ago. I'm now typing at 70 WPM compared to my 90+WPM with Qwerty. Am I faster? No. More accurate? Maybe. But you know what those figures don't take into consideration? Satisfaction. Typing on Dvorak feels more fluid and comfortable than qwerty ever did and I will never go back because of it.

Typing on my 9900 reminds me of why I made the switch to Dvorak. I can feel and hear my key presses which glass can never duplicate. I can touch type, capitalize and type symbols with little effort. It's just a much nicer experience to me.

It's also satisfying to have no apps cluttering my home page, and to know that I can be anywhere on my phone in at least 3 button presses, barely reaching or moving with my thumb.
    Dvorak keyboard layout was optimized for typing with 10 fingers, putting most commonly used letters near strongest fingers. Qwerty was designed the opposite way, with most common letters near weaker fingers to reduce jams on old typewriters. Considering that on a mobile phone you're using only 1 or 2 fingers, differences between keyboard layouts seems moot. But more power to you if dvorak works better for you - it's nice to have the option with the vkb.

 C L A S S I C
    12-09-16 09:13 PM
    Pkb had their chance and at the time they were great. However, technology keeps evolving constantly and pkb are useless right now. I see a lot of people excited about the new upcoming pkb blackberry but its just the die hard fans. No other people are going to buy it. That's it. I only see another failure. The company needs a focus. They need to get things together and realize that only a handful will buy their pkb phones. They need to put peoples attention back to them. They need marketing and a different UI like Samsung and LG. LG came out of nowhere with their G line and succeeded. I like the hub it is a great idea but if nobody knows about it people are not gonna buy it. What they need to do? A flagship phone with no pkb and a mid range with a lot of marketing if they want to succeed on android.

Posted via CB10
    It is sad to realize that the end of pkb has been caused by the trend. I can't stand when someone looks at my beloved old physical keyboarded Blackberry as if it were a turd on a silky pillow. I just think that most people choose what they think is "coolness" instead of looking for the substance. How many of them use the phone to work? The majority wants a phone with bigger screen for gaming and playing. So my thought is: what are we talking about? I do love my pkb simply because I can feel the click, and I can feel that I am touching something. Vkb sucks, but it's just my way of thinking, which apparently is going to be pretty rare, in a world where virtual always wins
    idssteve likes this.
    12-09-16 09:33 PM
297 ... 89101112