is it possible to have my bold enable data services when it connects to wifi? I have a pay as you go and the data charges are steep. The only way I can get this to work is to disable Network, connect to wifi, then enable data services. When I leave wifi, I have to disable data services and then enable the Network. This is very tedious, is there a way so that my data services are permanently disabled unless I connect to wifi, which will enable the data services for the time I'm connected? Thanks
    02-26-09 04:51 PM
    Your profile indicates an 8330 on Verizon, that model does not support Wifi, it can not be done.

The models with Wifi can be configured to Browse on Wifi only, saving the network data charges.

02-26-09 05:38 PM
    Sorry, my profile phone is my default phone. I also have a bold on at&t pay as you go. How would I go about setting data usage to only when using wifi? Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 05:39 PM
    I set my browser to HotSpot so that it will only use WiFi when browsing. The problem is is that programs such as weathereye are using data and I want to totally disable any data connections if I am not using WiFi. The only way I can do this is to disable data in the mange connections, but I was hoping there was a better way in which it would automatically disable all data services when wifi hasn't found a connection.

Also, if this thread could be moved to the wifi section, that would be great. Thank you.
    02-26-09 07:50 PM
    Thanks for clearing that up, Bold does support Wifi.

I used my 8320 with Wifi only for quite a while. I was not able to use any third party software through Wifi, just the Browser.

Selecting Hotspot Browser will insure no data is being used, but just for Browser.
    02-27-09 10:26 AM
    The only two apps that seemed to work for me are OperaMini and Google Apps (but the individual apps like gmail need the data plan)

I have been trying to accomplish the same since I got my Curve. I will keep looking and let you all know if there is a way to "correct" this
    02-27-09 02:29 PM
    I know you can browse the internet using only wifi. I dont have the Data plan with the 8900 so I was wondering if there was a way to recieve email with just wifi to? Or a client that will use a good pop 3 account. I have comcast email. I know the blackberry email and only work with data. I didnt purchase data for t mobiles flex pay. So i was wondering how I can recieve email right through my wifi on the 8900? I have a wireless router at my house (hotspot)
    02-28-09 03:39 PM
    I set my browser to HotSpot so that it will only use WiFi when browsing. The problem is is that programs such as weathereye are using data and I want to totally disable any data connections if I am not using WiFi. The only way I can do this is to disable data in the mange connections, but I was hoping there was a better way in which it would automatically disable all data services when wifi hasn't found a connection.

Also, if this thread could be moved to the wifi section, that would be great. Thank you.
    i do not believe that your data services are "going through" wifi as you believe. 3rd party apps need to be comaptible with and set to use the wifi connection, otherwise they are connecting through your APN which connects through your data plan. if you cannot get your apps to work by disabling data services, then this is the case.
    02-28-09 05:05 PM
    Check my signature for programs that use WiFi
    02-28-09 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD