Hey all,

For my first, very no0b-ish post on this fine site, I'd like to inquire about the possibility and directive behind email to sms messaging.

The background- Having finally joined the smartphone, and BB crowds, I felt compelled to utilize my BB email as much as possible. But, unfortunately for me, too many (read: all) of my friends lack smartphones and therefore any messaging but SMS.

I've tried to send a email to their "email" SMS account (ex- [email protected]) and they receive a message that contains nothing that I wrote whatsoever. They do receive a message from me, but usually it just contains some gibberish that speaks of my email account and having sent the message from my BlackBerry. Only rarely, on very short messages, are they able to see the message- and even then, it is sporadic. Most regularly, if I have typed over 160 characters, they get either the 2/2 or 3/3 message, but not any of the previous ones. It's really weird, and a frustrating problem for me because I'm so interested in getting my BB experience off the ground.

So, I'm not sure if it's possible for me to stay away from SMS texting and use my email messaging instead- even to send messages to an SMS user. I figure if it is possible, then someone on this esteemed site might be able to help.

Any offerings are appreciated- B
    Last edited by fatal_36; 08-30-08 at 02:08 AM. Reason: rethought, clarity
    08-30-08 02:05 AM
    it seems like you're doing it right. i know with rogers you can send an email to the persons phone [email protected] such as [email protected] and the person will receiver it as an sms. i have done it and i know it works... maybe u should call you carrier and find out their equivalent just to make sure you have it right.
    08-30-08 02:27 AM
    Yea, I've talked to my carrier and they have given me little help. I know it must be possible. Like I said, the receiver does get a message from me, but it's filled with jargon regarding my email address and the "sent from my blackberry" line. But the message that I actually type rarely comes through in the message.

I've even looked into third-party transfers like Teleflip, but even those don't work.

I dropped my text messaging plan when I got the BB because I figured the email would serve the same function, but it looks like I'm headed back to the drab world of SMS, at least until my friends get "smart" and hope on the BB train...
    08-30-08 02:37 AM
    Robbin the grave.
    06-11-12 12:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD