I've read through all the Blackberry 101 lectures, tried to do a search, but while I'm usually good at formulating search queries, this one is escaping me. Forgive me for what I know is a super basic question here.

My new Curve 8900 is ordered and will arrive on Monday. While I've used PDAs for years, this is my first smartphone. My question is regarding email delivery priorities.

I'd like to set it up so that my email always is delivered to my computer when it's running, but of course keeping the phone active for use as my cell and for SMS messages. Then, when I'm on the road, I'd like the email to be delivered to the BB for my action.

First off, is there a way to have the BB on but not checking mail constantly? Can the email app be turned on and off while keeping the BB powered on? I know that's almost a heretical thought, but I don't want the BB to become my primary email application.

Secondly, when I'm on the road, if I want a copy of all incoming and sent messages sent to my primary computer for archiving, do I just ensure I have an auto forward for incoming messages and an auto bcc for outgoing? Or is there another way to set it up?

The email accounts I'm concerned about are POP3/IMAP accounts, though I also use AOL and Gmail for some personal (and far less critical) personal stuff.

Can you assist me with these questions? I know it will be easier to set up my BB correctly first rather than fix it later, so am hoping to get a grasp on these concepts before it arrives. Feel free to point me to threads or help me devise a search query so I can find it myself and not feel quite so hopeless.
    05-15-09 11:45 PM
    I don't think there's a way to "have the BB on but not checking mail constantly." The BB doesn't check for mail anyways. Mail is pushed to it, and there's not really a way to turn it off temporarily.

Are you aware of the differences between the BES and BIS data plans? AOL and Gmail will work fine with BIS, but if you use any kind of work Exchange accounts, you're going to need the more expensive BES plan.

P.S. congrats on the Curve.
    05-15-09 11:51 PM
    1. The one way to prevent emails from going to your phone is to delete the service books and then resend them when you're ready to be receiving emails again. There is no "on/off switch" for just email functions.

2. You talked about being on the road and wanting messages to go to your "computer" email, they'll be going there anyway. When you read/reply on the BB, just don't delete from the server and it'll be there when you power up a PC.

3. WTF are you doing with an AOL email? I didn't realize they were still in business even!
    05-15-09 11:57 PM
    I don't think there's a way to "have the BB on but not checking mail constantly." The BB doesn't check for mail anyways. Mail is pushed to it, and there's not really a way to turn it off temporarily.

Are you aware of the differences between the BES and BIS data plans? AOL and Gmail will work fine with BIS, but if you use any kind of work Exchange accounts, you're going to need the more expensive BES plan.

P.S. congrats on the Curve.
    Yes, thanks to the wonderful resources here I've been reading the past few days, I understand the difference between BES and BIS. Fortunately, I'm on BIS, and all the accounts I need (other than the gmail and AOL) are my own domains.

So if I understand you correctly, every email I get, the literally hundreds a day, will be delivered to my BB, whether or not I'm having them delivered to my computer? Is there a way to do mass deletions? How do those who use both computer email and BB email handle the dupes?

1. The one way to prevent emails from going to your phone is to delete the service books and then resend them when you're ready to be receiving emails again. There is no "on/off switch" for just email functions.

2. You talked about being on the road and wanting messages to go to your "computer" email, they'll be going there anyway. When you read/reply on the BB, just don't delete from the server and it'll be there when you power up a PC.

3. WTF are you doing with an AOL email? I didn't realize they were still in business even!
    1. How easy is it to delete/reload the service books? There are 5 accounts I'll be wanting to access on the BB.

2. Ah! Didn't realize that lovely point. Wonderful! So I don't need to have an auto-forward on every email received on the BB? I'd read I needed to - that makes it easy - I'll just have to go through and file the incoming mails once back to the office. And bcc the outgoing to an account not linked to the BB to also be filed.

3. The AOL mail is a very old carryover from the early 90s. Too many friends know me there, and it's a good catch-all for subscriptions and such I don't want delivered on the road.
    05-16-09 01:19 AM
    Something I did was create some duplicate email accounts for each of the ones you would like to monitor on your BB from time to time. Set them up on the BB as you would anyother email address except supply the return address of one that you would like to monitor (AKA if it is work1, use the return address for work1 even though the account is actually redirect1) Then you only need to set your email account (work1) to redirect1 when you want to check them on the BB. I also have two email addresses set up for the BCC with a rule in Outlook to move those emails to the sent folder. Clean and easy. It just requires some duplicate email addresses but if you have the domains, they should not be hard to do.
    05-16-09 12:20 PM
    Something I did was create some duplicate email accounts for each of the ones you would like to monitor on your BB from time to time. Set them up on the BB as you would anyother email address except supply the return address of one that you would like to monitor (AKA if it is work1, use the return address for work1 even though the account is actually redirect1) Then you only need to set your email account (work1) to redirect1 when you want to check them on the BB. I also have two email addresses set up for the BCC with a rule in Outlook to move those emails to the sent folder. Clean and easy. It just requires some duplicate email addresses but if you have the domains, they should not be hard to do.
    It's probably because I don't have it yet, but I'm not sure I'm following you following you on this. Let me see if I have this correct.

The account I want to check periodically, but not all the time, is work1@whatever. However, I set up the account on the BB for incoming as redirect1@whatever, but with all the domain, password and other information the same. Then, when I want to check the email on the BB, I just go into the account, switch the account name to work1@whatever? Then switch the name back again when I want the email to stop being pushed out?

Do I understand, or am I missing something?
    05-16-09 12:54 PM
    If you don't want push Email, you can use an Email App to check your mail. For instance, if you have a GMail application, you can use that to check your mail and archived mail when you need to read it, rather than having it pushed to your device. You can also send mail from the App as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 02:40 PM
    If you don't want push Email, you can use an Email App to check your mail. For instance, if you have a GMail application, you can use that to check your mail and archived mail when you need to read it, rather than having it pushed to your device. You can also send mail from the App as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The accounts I'm most concerned about are my POP/IMAP accounts. Is there and email app for that I can use? And will it count as email for the TMo International Email plan, or would it be considered data? I'm guessing data, which would completely defeat the purpose, as most of the time I'm on the road, it's not in the US.
    05-16-09 02:43 PM
    Yes, thanks to the wonderful resources here I've been reading the past few days, I understand the difference between BES and BIS. Fortunately, I'm on BIS, and all the accounts I need (other than the gmail and AOL) are my own domains.

So if I understand you correctly, every email I get, the literally hundreds a day, will be delivered to my BB, whether or not I'm having them delivered to my computer? Is there a way to do mass deletions? How do those who use both computer email and BB email handle the dupes?
    Yes you can do mass deletions. Move your cursor over the date, press the BB/menu button, and select Delete Prior.
    05-16-09 02:45 PM
    It's probably because I don't have it yet, but I'm not sure I'm following you following you on this. Let me see if I have this correct.

The account I want to check periodically, but not all the time, is work1@whatever. However, I set up the account on the BB for incoming as redirect1@whatever, but with all the domain, password and other information the same. Then, when I want to check the email on the BB, I just go into the account, switch the account name to work1@whatever? Then switch the name back again when I want the email to stop being pushed out?

Do I understand, or am I missing something?
    Not quite but somewhat close. You have work1@whatever (we'll shorten it to to work1). Set up another email account on your mail server (we will shorten it's name to redirect1). work1 and redirect1 do not need to have the same password or even be on the same domain. work1 simply needs to be able to be forwarded to another email address (redirect1). Redirect1 only needs to be an email address that can be used with a BB (POP or IMAP). This email address will only be a receptical for redirected email. You could have multiple email addresses going into this one if you like with the only real issue being the outgoing email address would be the same for all of the replied messages thus the reason to consider having multiple redirector accounts.

Now when you want to recieve your work1 email on your BB, you go into the account settings for work1 (on your email server) and tell it to forward all email to redirect1. Be sure not to have it delete emails as it forwards. When you are done and no longer want to receive emails on your BB, simply remove the forward. Nice clean with very minimal fuss. No need to use the BIS site to add email accounts or to resend service books.

Note: if you want your sent email, don't forget to use a BBC that you can receive with your computer.
    05-16-09 03:21 PM
    Yes you can do mass deletions. Move your cursor over the date, press the BB/menu button, and select Delete Prior.
    That helps tremendously to know. Thank you!

Now when you want to recieve your work1 email on your BB, you go into the account settings for work1 (on your email server) and tell it to forward all email to redirect1. Be sure not to have it delete emails as it forwards. When you are done and no longer want to receive emails on your BB, simply remove the forward. Nice clean with very minimal fuss. No need to use the BIS site to add email accounts or to resend service books.
    Now I understand - just have to access the email settings on the server. That makes sense. Thank you! There may be times when doing that would be worth it.
    05-16-09 04:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD