I have been using my Blackberry for about 7 months and have definitely become addicted to it. I was using it with an email address that I have hosted. Over the past weekend I was unable to send or receive emails via this account. My first step was to talk to Telus, but because it takes about two business days for them to even start looking at the problem I started doing more research. I found that my webhost has blocked Blackberry network's IMAP access.

Has anyone else had issues like this come up? Is there anything else I can do to receive emails on this email address?
    09-17-08 12:48 PM
    Have you contacted the webhost to find out why this may have been done? I have several email accounts that are pushed to my BB, some are webmail accounts and a couple email addresses from my webhost account and fortunately I haven't had an issue.
    09-17-08 01:03 PM
    This is what my host has stated

Blackberry network's IMAP access has been temporarily blocked.
    This was triggered by excessive IMAP connection usage by their network.
    The issue has been reported to them by various users, and hopefully they will resolve the issue.
    We will temporarily lift the block at different times to see if it is still being as aggressive.
    Until then, it will remain blocked so it doesn't causes problem for other users.
    09-17-08 01:17 PM
    use POP or just forward the email to your blackberry account.
    09-18-08 09:09 AM
    The reason why some mail hosts [such as the company I work for] choose to block IMAP connections via BlackBerry is because the RIM servers are... well, a**h*les. Once a BlackBerry opens an IMAP connection via the RIM server that connection does not close until you literally turn off your BlackBerry.

The reason why I just turned off BB access temporarily is that our server has a hard limit of 400 open IMAP connections and around 350 of those were currently in use by RIM IPs, screwing over anyone else using IMAP.

I know you BB people are fanatical about not having to wait more than 4 seconds to be notified about your latest email, but RIM needs to take into account that most large mail hosts won't cater to constant hogging of IMAP slots.
    10-08-08 11:36 AM
    Why is it fanatical to expect to get what I'm paying for?

It seems to me like you are punishing 350 of your users because you have a grudge against RIM's BIS.

What are you going to do when BIS doesn't stop being aggressiuve? Will you permanently block 350 of your users from accessing data (that they are paying you to host?)

Do you forersee blackberry usage decline or increase in your userbase.

...And finaly; do you think it would be better not to have users? No more IMAP slots being hijacked

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-08 12:03 PM
    The reason why I just turned off BB access temporarily is that our server has a hard limit of 400 open IMAP connections and around 350 of those were currently in use by RIM IPs
    Time to upgrade your servers, maybe?

I know you BB people are fanatical about not having to wait more than 4 seconds to be notified about your latest email, but RIM needs to take into account that most large mail hosts won't cater to constant hogging of IMAP slots.
    Uh....actually the large hosts DO cater to us. They're smart enough to realize that Blackberry usage is continuing to increase, and as you noted users will demand fast e-mail connections. Additionally I'm sure they're aware that a significant number of high-level corporate executives use Berries - you know, the types that make large, multi-million dollar purchase and awarde big, multi-year contracts to their preferred vendors?

Most importantly they understand that if you're running a business it's YOUR job to give your customers what THEY want. If you can't manage to do that then they'll find someone who can.
    10-08-08 12:33 PM
    With dial-up Internet access, ISPs don't have an available phone line for every subscriber. There's an anticipated usage pattern that determines how many subscribers the ISP can handle per phone line. This same concept applies to mail hosts and mailbox subscribers.

As Blackberry use increases, the usage pattern changes from frequent short-duration connections to infrequent long-duration connections. It is up to the mail host to adapt to the customer's needs. Doing so may result in higher costs, and thus higher pricing for some or all subscribers. Or the mail host can opt to not support certain devices, and make that lack of support clear to current and potential customers.

Suddenly blocking access for RIM's IPs may have been necessary at the time, but the situation should have been avoidable. This shift in usage pattern could have been predicted, or at least observed over time. I can't imagine that one day a mail host had 350 Blackberry users and had none the day before.

That said, I'll admit that I've been caught off guard with server capacity issues myself. I don't mean the to come across as "I would have done better"... it's more like "I learned the hard way, from a similar problem".
    10-09-08 10:26 AM
    I might have slightly misrepresented my profession in choosing my name, we're a webhosting company that offers some mail service for free along with our plans. This is fairly standard for a majority of hosts/ISPs.

In our case, [which I'll assume is fairly standard] we do not explicitly say anywhere that the included email is recommended for, or compatible with, Blackberry service. In fact, anyone that mentions using their Blackberry is directed to sign up for MS Exchange with BES Integration.

Qualifying my "fanatical" statement, speaking as a non-Blackberry user, you guys are fanatics in my view. Would you prefer "eccentric" over fanatical? :P Anyhow, you're paying your wireless carrier for Blackberry service, not the guys hosting your free email.

We have far more straight mail users than mail/Blackberry users, a ratio of 1000 or more to 1, so when that slim majority of a few hundred BB users use up all of the IMAP slots, bogging down the server to the point it can't process mail for anyone at all we have no choice but to take action.

Yes, we could have seen this building up over time, but it's not something that has shown itself to be an issue before. Not to mention that the problem is cumulative over periods that may go into the scale of many months. As more people get and configure devices for their mail here, the situation got progressively worse until the tipping point the last couple weeks.

For example, how often do you turn off your Blackberry? Probably "never, if it can be avoided." Well then that means the IMAP connection you set up months ago is still open, still using resources, and still taking up a connection slot someone else could be using when you're not on the clock.

Again, it's just not reasonable to hold you Blackberry users at fault for this, and I don't. Your situation is just the unfortunate side-effect of RIM's over-agressive connection handling. However, I can tell you right now that even if every comapny took this complaint up with RIM they likely wouldn't give a flying cowpie about it since we don't put any money in their pockets. If you want the situation to change you, the paying users, have to demand that RIM change its practices. It wouldn't be a problem if the blackberries connected, let's say every 30 seconds to check for mail. It's not really even the active connections that say a CEO is using to get 140 emails/hour. The problem is the stagnant connections maintained by RIM servers that are only really used once or twice a day/week just sitting there doing nothing.

The whole reason I signed up and posted is that I was searching for more information about the issue and, while I found piles of info about people wondering why they can't IMAP to certain providers, there's not much at all explaining the reasons behind it. This seems to be a fairly large hub for Blackberry discussion, so I thought I'd give you guys some background on the issue.
    10-09-08 02:21 PM
    I was wondering how BIS handled IMAP servers... thanks!
    10-09-08 03:27 PM
    To: ze_mailhost (I didn't want to quote your whole message)

Thanks for taking the time to sign up here and give us your side of the story. The ratio you're talking about certainly makes the problem appear far more unbalanced than I imagined, with a very small minority of users causing problems for most others. And the fact that the mail hosting is being offered for free as a service to your web hosting customers certainly changes the picture.

And you're right, since you don't put any money in RIM's pockets, they don't really care what you do. They will only care if/when their customers stop buying/using Blackberrys because they don't work with your service. Unless you're really big, that's not going to happen enough to make RIM notice.
    10-09-08 11:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD