This may be a dumb question, but what happens to all the emails we receive during the outage? Will they sit on the server and all get pushed in the morning when the upgrade is done? I assume this is true, but you know what they say about assuming....
    06-28-08 01:21 AM
    I assume the everything that goes to your BlackBerry e-mail will get delivered after the outage... now, all the other addresses such as GMail, POP3, etc. may not.

I don't exactly know how RIM pushes those messages so... I guess will have to wait
    06-28-08 01:30 AM
    It's my BB email that I'm most concerned about so thanks for verifying for me!
    06-28-08 01:31 AM
    It's my BB email that I'm most concerned about so thanks for verifying for me!
    I'm assuming as well, but I doubt a company as big as RIM would allow for sensitive data to be lost because of an upgrade.

Plus, since those messages come through their servers, it should basically sit there until it can be pushed to customers later.
    06-28-08 01:32 AM
    I'm still getting emails through my email accounts, except for my vzw . blackberry address.... but i don't really have anything being sent to it.... I thought all email was supposed to be shut down until it's back up after the 8 hours?
    06-28-08 03:06 AM
    Everything I was waiting on came through around 1am. Phew!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-08 03:45 AM
    Quick rundown of how BIS works:

If you setup your POP3 or IMAP email as a separate account on the phone, BIS polls those accounts at various intervals. It could be less than a minute or as long as 15 minutes, and you can't control the intervals. There's an algorithm that senses if you're actively using those accounts that shortens the intervals, but the bottom line is that the BIS poll time is variable.

OTOH, if you tell your POP3/IMAP accounts to forward everything to a blackberry.net account, those get pushed to your phone within seconds, depending on the speed or your primary email providers to forward emails. Gmail is good, my web host is good, but my junque account is Yahoo, which I purposely don't forward and login manually because 95% of what comes in is just crap.

I have 3 Gmail accounts but my primary one is through my web site host, which is very good at forwarding things quickly to my blackberry.net account, so it's fast. 20-30 seconds fast. Good enough.

The bummer is that everything gets dumped into the same inbox and I wish there was a way to create more than one blackberry.net address so I could separate emails more easily, but at least it's really fast, and their email system has an excellent spam filter.

Meanwhile, Outlook on my business computer polls all my email accounts every 2 minutes (except Yahoo), regardless of what BIS is doing. Since I told it to not remove received emails from the servers for x amount of time, once BIS is online, they get to Blackberry once they get it back online. They hold incoming emails until BIS is online then push them to the phone in a batch.

No big deal in North America since most of us are asleep when it happens, but I sympathize with users far away who essentially lose email service when they really need it.

Meanwhile, SMS still works because it's handled by the carrier and not by RIM/BIS, and of course the phone still works just fine. Internet and email get disrupted but it's not like your Blackberry becomes utterly useless as they upgrade BIS.
    06-28-08 04:38 AM
    Quick rundown of how BIS works:

If you setup your POP3 or IMAP email as a separate account on the phone, BIS polls those accounts at various intervals. It could be less than a minute or as long as 15 minutes, and you can't control the intervals. There's an algorithm that senses if you're actively using those accounts that shortens the intervals, but the bottom line is that the BIS poll time is variable.

OTOH, if you tell your POP3/IMAP accounts to forward everything to a blackberry.net account, those get pushed to your phone within seconds, depending on the speed or your primary email providers to forward emails. Gmail is good, my web host is good, but my junque account is Yahoo, which I purposely don't forward and login manually because 95% of what comes in is just crap.

I have 3 Gmail accounts but my primary one is through my web site host, which is very good at forwarding things quickly to my blackberry.net account, so it's fast. 20-30 seconds fast. Good enough.

The bummer is that everything gets dumped into the same inbox and I wish there was a way to create more than one blackberry.net address so I could separate emails more easily, but at least it's really fast, and their email system has an excellent spam filter.

Meanwhile, Outlook on my business computer polls all my email accounts every 2 minutes (except Yahoo), regardless of what BIS is doing. Since I told it to not remove received emails from the servers for x amount of time, once BIS is online, they get to Blackberry once they get it back online. They hold incoming emails until BIS is online then push them to the phone in a batch.

No big deal in North America since most of us are asleep when it happens, but I sympathize with users far away who essentially lose email service when they really need it.

Meanwhile, SMS still works because it's handled by the carrier and not by RIM/BIS, and of course the phone still works just fine. Internet and email get disrupted but it's not like your Blackberry becomes utterly useless as they upgrade BIS.
    Correct me if im wrong but i thought that Gmail actually supports true push service meaning that your mails will be delivered instantly (at least thats how it works for me) not at 15 min intervals, so why is the need of forwarding gmail to your Blackberry.net account? or maybe im missing something?
    06-28-08 01:14 PM
    It doesn't, but rumour has it that Google and RIM worked out some kind of deal where they poll the Gmail server very frequently. But it only seems like push email - the only way to get true push email with a BIS account is to use an @blackberry.net address.
    06-28-08 03:17 PM
    Ah ok, then it must be like really frequent polls because my Gmail and Yahoo accounts gets me my mails delivered to my BB on the same time as my Blackberry.net account wich is like instantly, not even a 1 min delay.

----------------
    Now playing: Nightingale - Sleep...
    via FoxyTunes
    06-30-08 02:00 PM
    Cool. My main email is from my web site hosting company and sometimes it would take a minute, sometimes 5, sometimes 15...

Plus, I like the aggressive spam filter that Blackberry uses so I just have all my accounts forwarded to it.
    06-30-08 03:56 PM
    Cool. My main email is from my web site hosting company and sometimes it would take a minute, sometimes 5, sometimes 15...

Plus, I like the aggressive spam filter that Blackberry uses so I just have all my accounts forwarded to it.
    Yeah i know, my company E-mail also takes like 5 to 15 minutes to be delivered, thats why i thought that yahoo and gmail were true push because they always get delivered instantly, and with bis 2.5 im also getting my hotmail really fast, maybe im just really lucky who knows.

----------------
    Now playing: Thin Lizzy - Bad Habits
    via FoxyTunes
    06-30-08 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD