It's been hard for the past couple weeks, I've been trying to hold back,watching all the side loading going on of android apps all willy nilly. Phil and android central editors finally speak out. I agree with them 100%. All this sideloading is piracy, plain and simple.

Have a listen of the discussion from the android central podcast from the link below.

Eight minutes on BlackBerry, Android apps and piracy ... | Android Central
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-24-13 02:15 PM
    How is consuming free content piracy? Consuming free content is not piracy. Paying for content is not piracy.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 02:17 PM
    11-24-13 02:19 PM
    Phil is a hater plain and simple.
    Eight minutes on BlackBerry, Android apps and piracy ...-haters-gonna-hate-panda.jpg

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.1.1055
    RJ_Motivation likes this.
    11-24-13 02:19 PM
    It's not piracy unless you are stealing paid apps

Sent from my Z30
    missing_K-W, eldricho and R Field like this.
    11-24-13 02:21 PM
    It's been hard for the past couple weeks, I've been trying to hold back,watching all the side loading going on of android apps all willy nilly. Phil and android central editors finally speak out. I agree with them 100%. All this sideloading is piracy, plain and simple.

Have a listen of the discussion from the android central podcast from the link below.

Why do you agree with them?

Sent from my XT907 using CB Forums mobile app
    11-24-13 02:21 PM

Why Do you feel this is piracy?

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 02:22 PM
    No one has a clear and concise argument on the piracy front that I have yet to hear or read.

We have a better Android app experience than 80+% of global Android devices. That's a tough pill to swallow for Android fans.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 02:25 PM
    No one has a clear and concise argument on the piracy front that I have yet to hear or read.

We have a better Android app experience than 80+% of global Android devices. That's a tough pill to swallow for Android fans.

Posted via CB10
    Especially since now BB10 runtime is 4.2.2. which is higher than probably 60% of what android devices run now. Hell my Razr M still on 4.1.2.

missing_K-W likes this.
    11-24-13 02:28 PM
    Did you guys actually listen to the 8 minute cut of android central podcast where they discussed this issue? Do you still not understand why it's piracy!?
    paper_monkey and bbq10l like this.
    11-24-13 02:36 PM
    Did you guys actually listen to the 8 minute cut of android central podcast where they discussed this issue? Do you still not understand why it's piracy!?
    No please sir, explain further about how free apps being downloaded is piracy.

missing_K-W likes this.
    11-24-13 02:51 PM
    Listening now....

First thought, these guys hate blackberry and have a very defensive tone to their speech. It's like kids who don't want to share the toys they are playing with with others.

My opinion is, I checked out the android apps. I was not impressed. Millions of cheesy little games that look like they were written by students. I grabbed a version of angry birds and the opera browser and was over it. Android apps are trash and have little to no use for anybody with a job for the most part. All the high quality apps that they have, blackberry usually has native versions as well.

Android apps are just apps like any other. If a free version is available, and a blackberry user uses it. It is in no way whatsoever theft in any way. The latest version of BB10.2.1.1055 does the processing of APKs right on the device, no need for sideloading. If downloading free apps was illegal, the lawyers at blackberry would not have allowed this feature.

These boys need to realize that they lost. Blackberry is not dead. The new BB10 devices are amazing. And mostly, they can't talk crap about the BB not having millions of useless apps anymore, because now BB has access to the same massive cesspool of useless apps that they do.Plus we also have our own high quality actually useful apps that they don't have which makes our device better. So I guess we blackberry users can now say that the lack of apps available to Android devices is a real problem that will probably cause them to go out of business soon lol.
    11-24-13 03:07 PM
    So funny .... What a joke...

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30.
    11-24-13 03:23 PM
    Don't want to derail the thread, but you can have a direct word with Phil Nickinson in here right now: http://forums.crackberry.com/android...3/#post9603337
    11-24-13 03:31 PM
    No please sir, explain further about how free apps being downloaded is piracy.

It has nothing to do with free or paid, you guys are missing the point. If a developer submits an app to the google play store, he is giving google permission to distribute the app which means it's only for devices that have google play supported. That developer is not giving u or any third party App Store or this forum to distribute his app.

Now, if that developer puts that apk on his website, it's okay because he is aware he is distributing it all of internet.

Phil even used the AC app as an example, it's been downloaded 2k times from some third party store, his response was 'I didn't give them permission to distribute my app'!
    paper_monkey likes this.
    11-24-13 03:39 PM
    Someone help me understand this issue. Seems to me after listening to the podcast and reading the comments here and on AC that people are confusing the issue of piracy and copyright infringement.

Piracy as I understand it while not confined exclusively to paid applications usually have an element of monetary loss to the developer.
    Copyright infringement, again as I understand it, would be the use of something inconsistent with the stated parameters set by the developer.

So, if I download a copy of Microsoft Office and a working registration code I have committed piracy in that I have gained full use of something and completely avoided paying the cost associated with that use.

If I download a free app, convert it to a format that the developer never intended or specifically stated was unacceptable then I have committed copyright infringement insofar as I have altered the developers original work product. Granted, in the former circumstance (MS Office) I may have actually committed both piracy and CI.

Is any of that correct?
    Toodeurep likes this.
    11-24-13 03:41 PM
    Someone help me understand this issue. Seems to me after listening to the podcast and reading the comments here and on AC that people are confusing the issue of piracy and copyright infringement.

Piracy as I understand it while not confined exclusively to paid applications usually have an element of monetary loss to the developer.
    Copyright infringement, again as I understand it, would be the use of something inconsistent with the stated parameters set by the developer.

So, if I download a copy of Microsoft Office and a working registration code I have committed piracy. If I download a free app, convert it to a format that the developer never intended or specifically stated was unacceptable then I have committed copyright infringement. Granted, in the former circumstance (MS Office) I may have actually committed both piracy and CI.

Is any of that correct?
    pi�ra�cy
    ˈpīrəsē/
    noun
    noun: piracy

the unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work.
    plural noun: piracies
    "software piracy"
    synonyms: illegal copying, plagiarism, copyright infringement, bootlegging More
    11-24-13 03:47 PM
    Thank you. I do actually own several dictionaries and if I wanted a simple definition I'd have consulted one. What I am asking is for real world, practical applications of the two competing concepts.

The synonyms are helpful but we know how these things work in the real world. Try thinking of it this way: In every murder someone is killed. Not all killings are murders.
    11-24-13 03:51 PM
    11-24-13 03:55 PM