We all know that BlackBerry has been targeting the automotive market with their QNX platform. With the recent announcement of iOS in the Car integration and 9 major car makers supporting the iOS integration, I am just wondering where it is going to leave BlackBerry and QNX. While it doesn't appear that iOS will be directly powering the car's OS, it does introduce an interesting variable. Due to the wide popularity of iOS and as individual automakers try to match the competition, will BlackBerry be almost forced into adoption iOS in the Car integration on the QNX platform or will they continue on a different route. As I am not to familiar with the automotive aspect of BlackBerry's aspirations, it would be interesting to know what you guys think.
    06-10-13 04:23 PM
    QNX > iOS any day any platform
    sam299 likes this.
    06-10-13 04:27 PM
    If you look at QNX architecture on their website Apple is one of the Apps that can run on it, others being Adobe, Flash, HTML5 and I think Android is on the way.

So in a way it's good for QNX as it would enrich their eco system..

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 04:36 PM
    just watched the keynote. if the vehicle integration works as advertised it is going to be a game changer as large as their first iphone
    06-10-13 05:12 PM
    hard to say until we actually see it in vehicles and such. I think it does provide an alternative to a QNX system though so it might steal some sales
    sam299 likes this.
    06-10-13 05:20 PM
    I know QNX already runs in many cars, but no one identifies it with BB. Just another failure of BB marketing.
    06-10-13 05:26 PM
    I dont think you know the level that QNX is at.
    Transparent Distributed Processing (TDP) - BerryFlow
    Future of Your Automobile - BerryFlow
    QNX Car Dominance - BerryFlow

Qnx owns your life.

When you own the backend and the platform you are king period.
    06-10-13 05:42 PM
    iOS can't run the car's mission critical functions -- braking systems, speedometer, etc. QNX and BlackBerry still have the upper hand, but Apple could conceivably put out a nice entertainment console.

Apple also lacks the NOC, which is huge in the automotive vertical.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 05:46 PM
    I know QNX already runs in many cars, but no one identifies it with BB. Just another failure of BB marketing.
    If only BlackBerry had used this ad: .

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 05:50 PM
    iOS can't run the car's mission critical functions -- braking systems, speedometer, etc. QNX and BlackBerry still have the upper hand, but Apple could conceivably put out a nice entertainment console.

Apple also lacks the NOC, which is huge in the automotive vertical.

Posted via CB10
    Well the abundance of fart and burb apps will probably help rectify breaking system glitches.
    06-10-13 06:09 PM
    Well the abundance of fart and burb apps will probably help rectify breaking system glitches.
    Don't forget the spell-checking apps.
    06-10-13 06:16 PM
    Don't forget the spell-checking apps.
    Lol. I blame it on the Android virtual keyboard (lame excuse I know). You got the idea anyway
    06-10-13 06:22 PM
    Does iOS guide missiles? Or create digital guages on a black screen? No...but it can play itunes.
    06-10-13 06:24 PM
    BEFORE you guys go all crazy in this QNX>Apple thing.. don't forget, Apple is a QNX partner. Have been for years. QNX stuff can work ALONGSIDE Apple. e.g. You can have Siri into a vehicle that works off of QNX internals. It wouldn't exactly be smart of a company who integrates with vehicles to shut out other OEM's that add advantages to their system overall.
    06-10-13 06:29 PM
    BEFORE you guys go all crazy in this QNX>Apple thing.. don't forget, Apple is a QNX partner. Have been for years. QNX stuff can work ALONGSIDE Apple. e.g. You can have Siri into a vehicle that works off of QNX internals. It wouldn't exactly be smart of a company who integrates with vehicles to shut out other OEM's that add advantages to their system overall.
    Look at this guy being all rational and stuff... we wanted to argue..hahahahahaha
    06-10-13 06:43 PM
    Bla1ze u think your account has been hacked!
    You've been the voice of reason a few times now!

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 07:24 PM
    The idea that iOS will take over the head stack is pure reality distortion field. It is the OEMs who will be the ultimate arbiter of what the user sees, if only because it is the OEMs who have the liability should the driver run into to crowd of children waiting for the school bus while admiring on of iOS' slick new features.

An car's interface is effectively locked down. Apple will will be on a short leash here.

Listen to Andrew Poliak's session at the last BlackBerry Live. BB is deep into automotive. By contrast, Apple is prancing around the showroom.

Claasic Apple. -Sam.
    RECOOL likes this.
    06-10-13 09:00 PM
    I never really expect BlackBerry/QNX to be that successful in the auto industry. At most it will become a niche, embedded OS in expensive luxury brands like Bentley that will will also be iOS compatible.

And the end of the day is all about the end result. BlackBerry just can't keep boasting about their superior "mobile computing" OS without actually showing anything substantial. Until BlackBerry has mass market partnerships like Apple's (Acura, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Kia, Opel, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan and Volvo), it can't compete.
    mush10 likes this.
    06-10-13 09:45 PM
    They have all those and more...

Posted via CB10
    pcguy514 likes this.
    06-10-13 09:48 PM
    I never really expect BlackBerry/QNX to be that successful in the auto industry. At most it will become a niche, embedded OS in expensive luxury brands like Bentley that will will also be iOS compatible.

And the end of the day is all about the end result. BlackBerry just can't keep boasting about their superior "mobile computing" OS without actually showing anything substantial. Until BlackBerry has mass market partnerships like Apple's (Acura, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Kia, Opel, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan and Volvo), it can't compete.
    Without showing anything substantial? It is amazing how the reality distortion field effects the CrackBerry Nation as readily as others.
    blackmoe and anon(4018671) like this.
    06-10-13 10:04 PM
    I don't want to be locked into any ecosystem. My choice of car should not affect my choice of mobile OS, or vice versa. If QNX supports all the major platforms, consumers win.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 10:04 PM
    You should probably check out the QNX website. All those listed partners use QNX as the core of their infotainment and drive systems

Except for kia that is built of Microsoft

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 10:25 PM
    You should probably check out the QNX website. All those listed partners use QNX as the core of their infotainment and drive systems

Except for kia that is built of Microsoft

Posted via CB10
    Which is awesome. But how much money can that make for BlackBerry. That is the question that matters.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    06-10-13 11:50 PM
    My webOS phone and my MythTV DVR both have Linux underneath, but that doesn't give them any magical ability to work together. The integration will depend on the vehicle entertainment systems exposing an interface and the phones being able to talk to that interface. The underlying OS is a complete non-factor as far as I can tell.
    06-10-13 11:55 PM
    I don't want to be locked into any ecosystem. My choice of car should not affect my choice of mobile OS, or vice versa. If QNX supports all the major platforms, consumers win.

Posted via CB10
    Well said.
    06-11-13 12:01 AM
46 12