Edward Snowden interview: 'Smartphones can be taken over' - BBC News So social media companies don't always co-operate, but do they need to?

Secured by LeakBerry
    10-05-15 01:15 PM
    Lovely. All in the name of "security." The thought police are most unfortunately real...

Z30 wickedness
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    10-05-15 02:44 PM
    Are people still taking that fraudster Snowden seriously ? He's a known disinformation operative spreading lies and fear.

Wake up people. Stop believing everything the BS media says.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    10-05-15 07:33 PM
    Are people still taking that fraudster Snowden seriously ? He's a known disinformation operative spreading lies and fear.

Check your own username, lol...

Who tells us what you are...? ;-P

(edit: I know what happened to lavabit.com, that was real, and not a joke... bye bye emails)

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    10-05-15 08:16 PM
    Dumbphones could be taken over 15 years before smartphones existed. This is nothing new - not even remotely new.

If you need CIA/FBI/NSA-level security, then you either need to not carry any cellular device, or you need to buy cheap burner phones with cash and only put the battery in when you're using it - FAR from where you normally live/work/operate.

But, yeah, I don't want to live that way, and I have no need to either.
    10-05-15 08:18 PM
    Sorry Troy,
    While I appreciate your approach of: You shouldn't worry about the things you couldn't influence, I disagree.
    This is always the same:
    Before leak:
    "You are a conspiracy nut"
    Leaks start:
    "Prove it, where are facts"
    Facts independently confirmed and couldn't be denied anymore:
    "This is old news, everyone know this, like forever. Nothing to see here, move forward."

The fact is that if enough people raise fuss, we could do something to influence it.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh, FF22, BerryRipe and 9 others like this.
    10-06-15 02:41 AM
    Sorry Troy,
    While I appreciate your approach of: You shouldn't worry about the things you couldn't influence, I disagree.
    This is always the same:
    Before leak:
    Leaks start:
    "This is old news, everyone know this, like forever. Nothing to see here, move forward."

The fact is that if enough people raise fuss, we could do something to influence it.

Posted via CB10
    Furthermore, it is a basic human rights issue "the right to privacy " I hate when the ignorant state they have Nothing to hide, it is not a matter of having anything to hide.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 05:47 AM
    What a bunch of hogwash this is.

"Dreamy Smurf is the power management tool which means turning your phone on and off with you knowing,"
    This requires that the phone manufacturer inserts that code themselves as this is part of the boot ROM. You can set alarms and make the phone wake up now and then but I can't see any significant advantage with this. Also people would notice. Turning on the phone remotely would consume too much power as it would camp on the network. This one is busted.

"Nosey Smurf is the 'hot mic' tool. For example if it's in your pocket, [GCHQ] can turn the microphone on and listen to everything that's going on around you - even if your phone is switched off because they've got the other tools for turning it on.
    No you can't listen to the mic while phone is off. Where would you store the data or would you send it over the network? Sending it over the network means that the phone is on. Busted. The only way is to eavesdrop the mic when it is on, which is plausible.

"Tracker Smurf is a geo-location tool which allows [GCHQ] to follow you with a greater precision than you would get from the typical triangulation of cellphone towers."
    This is already a function in the phone by law. Dialing emergency numbers will switch this function on. Google services is heavily tracking your location data and sends it over the network to Google. This we already know is being done.

I think that Snowden is just plant, sent there to give us BS information and also increase antagonism between the US and Russia.
    10-06-15 06:10 AM

This requires that the phone manufacturer inserts that code themselves as this is part of the boot ROM. You can set alarms and make the phone wake up now and then but I can't see any significant advantage with this. Also people would notice. Turning on the phone remotely would consume too much power as it would camp on the network. This one is busted.

No you can't listen to the mic while phone is off. Where would you store the data or would you send it over the network? Sending it over the network means that the phone is on. Busted. The only way is to eavesdrop the mic when it is on, which is plausible.

This is already a function in the phone by law. Dialing emergency numbers will switch this function on. Google services is heavily tracking your location data and sends it over the network to Google. This we already know is being done.

I think that Snowden is just plant, sent there to give us BS information and also increase antagonism between the US and Russia.
    The ability to eavesdrop via a "turned off" device is currently "old " technology it's been possible to do, I know for a fact as I have seen it in action. The only way to stop is to pull the batteries.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 10-06-15 at 07:10 AM.
    10-06-15 06:17 AM
    I dont think what he gave us was disinformation, that's why he's not here. The facts are there whether we choose to believe them, or fear them, or not. I hardly think he spreads fear.
    10-06-15 06:32 AM

I have so much respect for Edward Snowden. Everything he had said has been true.
    I sure as hell trust him more than the US Government.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    10-06-15 06:34 AM
    I have so much respect for Edward Snowden. Everything he had said has been true.

Absolutely. Talk is cheap. It takes a special person to actually become a martyr for a cause they believe in. Snowden is a Patriot and a hero.
    10-06-15 06:40 AM
    Absolutely. Talk is cheap. It takes a special person to actually become a martyr for a cause they believe in. Snowden is a Patriot and a hero.
    I concur with both of you.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 07:52 AM
    I concur with both of you.

Posted via CB10
    I, too, and grateful for what Snowden has revealed and support being in closer touch with whatever is Truth, no matter how ugly it may be.

While some may think he is a fraud, the thing is that there are dozens of people who spread hearsay information about the government. They are ignored and forgotten as quickly as the breeze passes.

However, members of the US government do not ignore Snowden. Regardless of if anyone agrees with Obama's words, here the president comments on Snowden's actions and makes not effort to deny what he has revealed:

One would question why this kind of attention would be brought to someone who is a fraud.

 Posted via CB10 on my Q10 
    10-06-15 08:44 AM
    For those claiming that the NPA ect. Don't have these capabilities. Have you not heard of the Android 'Stagefright' exploit?

This sounds very similar. Heck, it could be that these tools use that exploit. The NSA spends billions finding & creating exploits for their own use. It's possible (if not probable) that they knew about Stagefright years ago.

And as a previous poster pointed out, they have not denied Snowden's claims, just said that he should have never leaked the info.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh and Prem WatsApp like this.
    10-06-15 10:39 AM
    If it's turned on and receiving a signal its available for exploit.

There was a demo/video of malware communicating using a monitor (LCD) as the transmitter. A monitor! I have no doubt there is a toolkit that pokes open a cellphone.
    10-06-15 02:44 PM
    Someone said if battery is in device they could listen and what all- so there we have a reason, why companies more and more produce closed phones, no removable batteries... hm.. just thinking conspiaratory

Posted via CB10
    DaDaDogg and world saviour like this.
    10-06-15 03:08 PM
    Issue is in most cases I think it is the CMOS type battery that has the ability to run most of the exploits and not the regular put in/ take out type battery.
    10-06-15 03:57 PM
    The ability to eavesdrop via a "turned off" device is currently "old " technology it's been possible to do, I know for a fact as I have seen it in action. The only way to stop is to pull the batteries.

Posted via CB10
    Would you kindly explain to me how this is possible. Then I mean off, and not some kind of charger mode mic eavesdrop mode. Is that what you mean?
    10-06-15 05:16 PM

Stagefright code on Android did exactly that. Send a TXT / MMS to a phone and take over the shop...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagefright_(bug)

And they've got whole teams doing nothing but bug-hunting and zero-exploit searching in order to add these to their cyber weapon arsenal. Couple that with efforts to deliberately weaken encryption in commercial products...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ion.html?_r=1&

"Now Snowden is a plant. Same as McAfee. As if there are no more real privacy advocates out there that fight for their rights - and ours. No, they're all plants now by the same agencies that want to take our rights..."

I can't follow this logic, but that's just me. Keep calm and berry on...

:-))))

--------

Posted via CB10
    Loller, ... which we can't do anymore with those dastardly sealed batteries... :-(

10-06-15 06:25 PM

And you know it is true because ??????? The only people who would *know* whether his claims have any foundation in reality are the people he accuses. As you seem to be so certain, should we believe you work in a certain secretive branch of government and are speaking about things you should not discuss, or are you just another bull****ter trying to gain credibility and inflate your ego?
    Flatman and zephyr613 like this.
    10-06-15 06:26 PM
    For those claiming that the NPA ect. Don't have these capabilities. Have you not heard of the Android 'Stagefright' exploit?

This sounds very similar. Heck, it could be that these tools use that exploit. The NSA spends billions finding & creating exploits for their own use. It's possible (if not probable) that they knew about Stagefright years ago.

And as a previous poster pointed out, they have not denied Snowden's claims, just said that he should have never leaked the info.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Must have skipped or overlooked your post. Same thing in Prem wording further up... ^

:-D

(Edit: my mistake)

Last edited by Prem WatsApp; 10-07-15 at 05:03 PM.
    10-06-15 06:28 PM
    The Dreamy Smurf one may seem a little odd, but it is indeed possible - with the caveat being that it will only apply to certain kinds of smartphones. This article explains it in detail:

Can the NSA Remotely Turn On Mobile Phones?

Long story short, it's actually fairly unlikely but can happen to certain smartphones under certain conditions. It involves hijacking the baseband processor, as some phones keep this in a 'ready' state when the rest of the phone is shutoff. But it also requires an exploit allowing the baseband processor to tap into the main OS too. It's very difficult to execute, and has the potential to raise suspicion after a few days of rampant battery drain, which is why Snowden says this type of hack is usually leveled at specific targets.

Of course, the alternative to all this is gaining physical access - hard and often risky, but then planting such malware becomes a lot easier.

As for the rest of them, we've seen most of those in the Hacking Team and FinFisher leaks, so it's a pretty safe bet the NSA can pull those off as well.
    Last edited by LazyEvul; 10-06-15 at 07:12 PM.
    10-06-15 07:00 PM
    Issue is in most cases I think it is the CMOS type battery that has the ability to run most of the exploits and not the regular put in/ take out type battery.
    You do know that a CMOS backup battery is a low power, low voltage component which would be incapable of operating the phone's radio for any significant duration, and incapable of generating a useful amount of RF output before it failed ... right?
    10-07-15 12:07 PM
    Sorry Troy,
    This is always the same:
    Before leak:
    Leaks start:

Posted via CB10
    There is a name for this actually, the Four Dog Defense.
    1Criz likes this.
    10-07-15 12:39 PM
48 12