I was just on the phone with a Tech Support rep at RIM.

During the course of the call, I explained that I had run OS 5.0.0.328 on my last Storm and my current one, and had the same problems (with constantly running out of memory). So, when they released 5.0.0.419, I installed that immediately and it isn't any better.

He said, "the installer shouldn't have let you install that on a Verizon phone."

I said, "well, all I had to do was delete the vendor.xml file."

He said, "that's what I thought. You know, that voids your warranty."

He still proceeded to try and help me. But, I had never heard that before (that I recall), so I thought I'd share the info.
    01-07-10 03:56 PM
    ps. Keep in mind, this wasn't a leak. It was an official Bell Mobility (or whoever it was) release (for the Storm 9530, which is what I have). Just not an official Verizon release.
    01-07-10 03:57 PM
    they dont like you running leaked firmware thats for sure.. but if you go back to a previous version official they will never know and it kind of is a leak in a way because its not your official providers os
    01-07-10 03:58 PM
    This is why everyone says to flash the phone back to official firmware before doing any warranty stuff.
    01-07-10 04:04 PM
    It's all covered that wall of text that begins with Research in Motion and ends with an Accept button.

However, the warranty is hardware specific. It does not matter what software you are using if the LCD/Keyboard/Power/Logic board has failed, your covered.

Mysterious memory symptoms, not so much.
    01-07-10 04:11 PM
    common knowledge.... I know i will be voiding my warranty as soon as I get my new BB out of the box. Every time I get one. Without fail.
    01-07-10 04:16 PM
    Also, anyone on BES should be careful, a lot of companies have strict policies against running non carrier official software releases.
    01-07-10 04:16 PM
    common knowledge.... I know i will be voiding my warranty as soon as I get my new BB out of the box. Every time I get one. Without fail.
    +1 Agreed!!!
    01-07-10 07:31 PM
    lol, you pulled a noob on the phone with support... that's funny.

I'm sure the black helicopters will be dropping off your "Warranty Voided" paperwork to you very early tomorrow morning.

Scare tactics... that's all.
    01-07-10 09:23 PM
    ^+ 1 they were just trying to scare you, loading any OS, doesn't void warranty

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-10 09:32 PM
    I was just on the phone with a Tech Support rep at RIM.

During the course of the call, I explained that I had run OS 5.0.0.328 on my last Storm and my current one, and had the same problems (with constantly running out of memory). So, when they released 5.0.0.419, I installed that immediately and it isn't any better.

He said, "the installer shouldn't have let you install that on a Verizon phone."

I said, "well, all I had to do was delete the vendor.xml file."

He said, "that's what I thought. You know, that voids your warranty."

He still proceeded to try and help me. But, I had never heard that before (that I recall), so I thought I'd share the info.
    It's pretty ridiculous.
    01-08-10 12:07 AM
    ^+ 1 they were just trying to scare you, loading any OS, doesn't void warranty

+1 warranty covers only the hardware and not the software part.
    01-08-10 12:14 AM
    Why do you think i used MS-DOS to get my 9700 back up and running instead of trading in on warranty...

and no i didn't use JL_Cmdr or BBSAK... straight up MS-DOS all the way.....

anyway goofy newb for telling them that..

01-08-10 08:38 AM
    it kind of is a leak in a way because its not your official providers os
    Well, I don't exactly see it that way when I downloaded the software from Blackberry.com... (which is why I didn't think twice about telling the guy I had it installed)

Anyway, I'll take the newb digs.

At least gimme some props for being willing to out myself just for the purpose of trying to help inform other people who are ignorant like me.
    01-08-10 09:39 AM
    Anyway, I'll take the newb digs.
    Hey, you're running white plates...it's all good.
    Is that turn 11 at Sears Point?
    01-08-10 10:21 AM
    Nope. Haven't run Sears Point. Have done Thunderhill, though. Awesome track! Would love to go back now that it's repaved. I'm in FL. That pic is from Jennings GP, if I recall correctly.
    01-08-10 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD