I have a Bold 9700 and due an upgrade change next month. Was thinking about a 9900 but with all rumours and gossip about BB plus the release of the new i phone 5 i'm really not sure what to do................. Is BB now becoming a gamble?
    08-11-12 07:04 AM
    I tried other platforms and came back and purchased both the bold and torch from Verizon. I find the blackberry to be a workhorse device that works!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    sharp dressed man likes this.
    08-11-12 07:18 AM
    The 9900 is an excellent communication device. I wouldn't worry about the rumors, get a device that works for you.
    08-11-12 07:34 AM
    Depends what you want in a phone. I spent two years with Android and having access to tons of apps, but I really only use 5 or 6 regularly all of which are on Blackberry as well. The primary reason I came back was reliable messaging and a true unified inbox. Plus my Bold 9930 is built like a tank!

So to answer your question, it is not a risk to get a BB. With BB10 coming out, some will tell you to wait for those devices, but with no delivery dates for any of them only 1st quarter of 2013, I chose not to wait. Honestly, the BB7 Bold is a fabulous device: fast, sleek and a great screen.

And not for nothing, if you are a BB guy/gal, an iPhone? Really?
    08-11-12 07:44 AM
    I understand your confusion. I was also on that fence and it just kept getting taller and taller, finally I decided to purchase the BOLD 9930 and haven't looked back. I took into consideration what I used a smartphone for along with an excellent companion in the PlayBook and I couldn't be happier. I will decide later whenever the BB10 is finally released which direction I want to go, but for NOW I'm going to enjoy the best Blackberry phone to date (IMO). The iphone5 appears to be a formidable companion as well, but I'm a BlackBerry type person and will probably stick with them until......the end
    08-11-12 07:48 AM
    I know where you're coming from...I'm sitting on a third (unused) line at VZW that I haven't gotten rid of yet simply because it has an upgrade available and I'm saving it for a BB10 phone. Check the Marketplace for a 9900..I traded my 9850 for a 9930, and each of us are happy with our "new" phones. Now I can manage the 6 month wait for BB10 to be released.
    08-11-12 07:57 AM
    Depends what you want in a phone. I spent two years with Android and having access to tons of apps, but I really only use 5 or 6 regularly all of which are on Blackberry as well. The primary reason I came back was reliable messaging and a true unified inbox. Plus my Bold 9930 is built like a tank!

So to answer your question, it is not a risk to get a BB. With BB10 coming out, some will tell you to wait for those devices, but with no delivery dates for any of them only 1st quarter of 2013, I chose not to wait. Honestly, the BB7 Bold is a fabulous device: fast, sleek and a great screen.

And not for nothing, if you are a BB guy/gal, an iPhone? Really?
    I agree I have not personally owned other devices sin even buying my first berry but I've used others and I've always had a disliking for Apple products please, and now the dislike is a loathing so I refuse to invest in them not to say I've never used them cuz I have and I really was not impressed. Android would be my choice or windows phone if I didn't own a berry plus I doubt there will be much addition to iOS probably just enhancements that should have been there to begin with and the same basic simple UI
    08-11-12 08:27 AM
    I understand your confusion. I was also on that fence and it just kept getting taller and taller, finally I decided to purchase the BOLD 9930 and haven't looked back. I took into consideration what I used a smartphone for along with an excellent companion in the PlayBook and I couldn't be happier. I will decide later whenever the BB10 is finally released which direction I want to go, but for NOW I'm going to enjoy the best Blackberry phone to date (IMO). The iphone5 appears to be a formidable companion as well, but I'm a BlackBerry type person and will probably stick with them until......the end
    Thanks spencerdl. I'm unsure whether we can get the 9930 in the UK. Orange my SP only provides the 9900. Is there much of a difference?
    08-11-12 08:30 AM
    I had a Torch 9800 from the day it was available, it was pretty beat up but I was holding out for BB10, when the news of the next years delay came out I went immediately and purchased a Bold 9900, I regret holding out now, the 9900 is a super slick device that does everything quite well, 7.1 is light years better than 6.0. I have comparisons with mates at work and elsewhere
    that have competitor devices and my Bold outperforms them all in daily tasks.

The Bold 9900 makes my day very very easy, that should be your choice.
    Last edited by fabfreddie; 08-11-12 at 08:35 AM.
    08-11-12 08:31 AM
    wait for iphone 5. Buy it, and sell it.
    08-11-12 08:57 AM
    You are on orange in the UK? I'd do nothing - just hold onto the phone, let the contract roll and see what they offer when BB10 comes out next year and then start playing the carriers off each other - network upgrades in the UK are largely worthless, they aren't worth starting a new contract (and get locked in) for unless you can't find another carrier with a better deal.

Moreover when the time comes, do the deal via a cashback site (if it is better than the haggle deal) if you can as you can often knock another �100 or so off the price.

The first upgrade deal that orange will offer you is the sucker's deal.
    Last edited by cgk; 08-11-12 at 09:11 AM.
    08-11-12 09:08 AM
    Thanks spencerdl. I'm unsure whether we can get the 9930 in the UK. Orange my SP only provides the 9900. Is there much of a difference?
    Same thing the 9900 is GSM and 9930 of some CDMA
    08-11-12 09:09 AM
    As far as I'm aware of their basically the same with the exception of 9900 being GSM and 9930 being CDMA
    08-11-12 09:12 AM
    You are on orange in the UK? I'd do nothing - just hold onto the phone, let the contract roll and see what they offer when BB10 comes out next year and then start playing the carriers off each other - network upgrades in the UK are largely worthless, they aren't worth starting a new contract (and get locked in) for unless you can't find another carrier with a better deal.

Moreover when the time comes, do the deal via a cashback site (if it is better than the haggle deal) if you can as you can often knock another �100 or so off the price.

The first upgrade deal that orange will offer you is the sucker's deal.
    That's good advice. Will see what Orange have to say when my contract is due to expire.
    08-11-12 10:30 AM
    Buy a bb 9900 which you will love and when ?? Bb10 is released then sell youre 9900
    08-11-12 10:44 AM
    i recommend two options:
    1. don't "upgrade", get a used os 7.1 bb temporarily till just after the new year. at that point you can look at all the latest phones and make a decision based on hardware/software that is on the market.

2. upgrade to a new bb with a 1 year contract. when the contract expires/is up for an upgrade; the latest and greatest phones will have been out for 4 to 6 months.

i personally would recommend option two because there will always be issues with a new phone upon release.

i use the Bold 9000 as an example: when it was released it was a POS. it took a few months of os upgrades before it was "good" and trouble free(mostly).

TLR my personal opinion is that it isn't worth it to wait. just get what you need and can use right away.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860
    08-11-12 10:51 AM
    wait for iphone 5. Buy it, and sell it.
    This is what I would suggest as well, if you're itching to get a new phone right now. Use your upgrade and get a phone with a high resale value, like the iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S3. Unfortunately the 9900 doesn't have a high resale value these days, being the device is nearly a year old. Then when BB10 comes out, sell whichever device you had picked and use that money toward a shiny new BB10 .
    08-11-12 10:54 AM
    I would hold onto to the bold if I were you; you shouldn't burn your upgrade because it's there...If you want a Bold, you should try checking the marketplace (crackberry's marketplace)...I'm sure you'll be able to find a good deal on there...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-11-12 11:06 AM
    I bought a 4S when i got back from my deployment and then sold it, made some money on it and bought a great condition 9930 for 120. It was a great deal. So using a upgrade on a new release device for a upgrade price and turning it around can be good.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 on Verizon Wireless.
    BlackBerry By Choice!
    Last edited by mandm1229; 08-11-12 at 11:17 AM.
    08-11-12 11:14 AM
    That's good advice. Will see what Orange have to say when my contract is due to expire.
    If you are keeping the phone, get them to move you onto a sim-only contract with a one month option to quit rather than paying out the same amount as you currently do, you'll save money and then when you decide what to do you'll still get the power of being able to walk - they will give you some bull about what a great deal if you agree to sign a new 18 month contract now but that's all it is - bull, you'll be able to get similar deals in the future and one of the other networks has a better deal (or even has an excuslive on BB10 for a period of time), you will be changing.

As soon as you sign a long-term contract, they have you by the balls.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-11-12 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD