Do app permissions create a back door pathway for gov't and hackers to access sensitive personal and financial data on a smart phone? Is data mining, privacy and potential security breaches the big elephant in the room that DTEK will make android consumers aware of?
    11-23-15 11:20 AM
    Do app permissions create a back door pathway for gov't and hackers to access sensitive personal and financial data on a smart phone? Is data mining, privacy and potential security breaches the big elephant in the room that DTEK will make android consumers aware of?
    No one wants to look at the big elephant....

But I think too you are overstating what app permissions do... maybe the issue is what apps are you installing?
    11-23-15 11:46 AM
    ... Are you willing to pay for the services you've become accustomed to receiving for 'free'?

Posted via CB10
    11-23-15 04:05 PM
    I've read some articles where app data from games sent over the network as well as vulnerabilities in apps were investigated and used by three letter agencies (the one with N..) for surveillance, tracking and take-over of the device...

Sorry, no link... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    11-25-15 05:29 PM
    I've read some articles where app data from games sent over the network as well as vulnerabilities in apps were investigated and used by three letter agencies (the one with N..) for surveillance, tracking and take-over of the device...

Sorry, no link... :-)

Prem, check out this commentary by Steve Tobak: http://www.foxbusiness.com/technolog...n-controversy/

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition driven by 10.3.2.2789 on T-Mobile
    11-25-15 05:38 PM
    Quote (from Genghis' article above)
    "But the truth about where the giants of tech stand on user privacy is another matter entirely. No organizations on earth have exploited users more than Google (GOOGL) and Facebook (FB) have in their zealous quest to boost ad revenues by providing users� personal data � demographics, searches, email and location, among others � to an ever-growing list of digital advertisers.*

It�s more than a little ironic that so many people seem worried about the NSA surveillance program that Edward Snowden brought to light, when in reality, users of Google�s popular Android operating system, Chrome browser, Gmail, Maps, Photos and a host of other �free� cloud services actually pay a very steep price in terms of the information they allow Google to take advantage of.*"

Now with the Priv we're right in the middle of it, the Coruscant of InfoGalaxy... :-)

Or not?

11-25-15 05:46 PM
    And, approximately 72 hours since Prem's last comment, this thread is dead!

Is the conclusion to be drawn here is that no one really cares about privacy and its fruit which is security?

11-28-15 03:19 PM

Is the conclusion to be drawn here is that no one really cares about privacy and its fruit which is security?

Not if your using Android.
    11-28-15 03:27 PM
    That is the elephant in the room with the Priv. It is supposed to protect a user's privacy but does next to nothing to do that.
    11-29-15 02:34 PM
    That is the elephant in the room with the Priv. It is supposed to protect a user's privacy but does next to nothing to do that.
    The Priv needs to priv,... ahem prove itself on that matter. BlackBerry needs to build trust, and hopefully can deliver when Marshall Marshmallow rides in... :-)

11-29-15 04:33 PM
    The Priv needs to priv,... ahem prove itself on that matter. BlackBerry needs to build trust, and hopefully can deliver when Marshall Marshmallow rides in... :-)

It is unfortunate that BlackBerry did not develop Priv with Marshmallow at the outset since its release is essentially concurrent with the release of Marshmallow. After all, Marshmallow's principal claim to fame is its security foundations. Mr. Chen keeps hammering us with 'security is in BlackBerry's DNA but delivers Lollipop instead.

TRUST is a big issue regarding BlackBerry. Unlike Apple which rather quickly acknowledges issues and works with haste to provide solutions, BlackBerry generally does not--double typing, screen lift, Bluetooth connectivity. Problems exist and without a peep sometimes disappear with an updated BB10 release with no admission that any particular problem ever existed.

11-30-15 09:28 PM
    DTEK and Data Mining and Security?-img_20151202_063756.png

12-01-15 02:39 PM
    And, approximately 72 hours since Prem's last comment, this thread is dead!

Some of us use a Passport and dont care about others vulnerability's.
    12-01-15 08:29 PM
    Some of us use a Passport and dont care about others vulnerability's.
    Yeah, don't FREAK out or die of heartbleed... :-)

12-01-15 11:32 PM