I've had my bb8310 curve for about 3 weeks now. I have been lurking around here just as long. I've done alot of reading and alot of searching around here and havent really found what i think would be a decent option.

1st of all, so far I don't have the data package through at&t, mainly using the bb as a phone and a qwerty keyboard for texting. I've seen some threads about using your bb as a modem, honestly I am not that technologically advanced, (now that I have a bb and am learning the the true awesomeness of these things) I would like to give it a try.

Right now I'm paying $42.95 a month for internet, that after running a test right now in rural Arizona (zip code 86401) current time is 5:19pm, that i get 1495kbps dl and 945kbps ul.

Really I have a couple of questions:

Would it be worth it to cancel the internet and pay at&t $30.00 a month for the data package to be able to access the internet. I don't do alot on the internet except for email, an occasional google search for airfare and a little myspace. So if i get the data package i should be able to use my bb as a modem for the times I don't want to use the bb itself to get on line?

Thanks in advance everyone

also Im running os 4.5.0.110
    Last edited by bkpowell; 04-05-09 at 07:33 PM. Reason: add os
    04-05-09 07:30 PM
    from what i have been told, no it wont. the speed from the tethering gives about 300 kbps
    Last edited by chelseytx; 04-05-09 at 08:05 PM.
    04-05-09 08:03 PM
    You should also check with AT&T for the cost of the tethering
    plan. I think it is $15
    04-05-09 08:35 PM
    I dropped my home internet 2 years ago. On the phone I had att but recently switched to sprint.

I can tell you that att does not care about tethering. I've racked up gigs upon gigs of data tethering and never received a warning. Had a data plan only (as opposed to the extra cost tethering plan). They don't care and unless you stream music 24/7 there's no way you can you can rack up so much data as to raise any red flags.

As far as speed goes - it is slow but I've adjusted my internet habits so more time is spent on the phone's browser. I use the computer only for things I can't do on the phone. I hardly ever use the computer anymore. Not only am I saving the cost of wired internet but I noticed that my electric bill went down too!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 06:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD