No, not very comforting at all but it is what it is.

Security is only as good as the info RIM is willing to give away. In the past that was supposedly very little. Lately though they have agreements with governments in place to share data on request. Who knows what "unfriendly" governments may request that data.

It is what it is and none of us have control over that.

I'm comfortably having a US company have access to my data (Apple), I'm also comfortable having RIM access my data but I'm not sure if that will last if they are purchased.
    True but android and apple don't need to give up anything because the governments can get the info regardless or is that wrong? Or are or did these countries put bans on those phones also?
    07-05-12 10:45 AM
    True but android and apple don't need to give up anything because the governments can get the info regardless or is that wrong? Or are or did these countries put bans on those phones also?

I do not know if that's correct or not. The only way for a foreign government to get my data (from what I know) is thru physical access to my device or by request to my carrier/manufacturer. Apple, being a US company, are bound by US law and treaty & can only provide data within those laws. RIM are canadian & while I can't be certain I imagine their laws & treaties are similar. As I said, I have zero control over that aspect. All I can do is try & keep my physical device secure.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-05-12 10:58 AM
    I do not know if that's correct or not. The only way for a foreign government to get my data (from what I know) is thru physical access to my device or by request to my carrier/manufacturer. Apple, being a US company, are bound by US law and treaty & can only provide data within those laws. RIM are canadian & while I can't be certain I imagine their laws & treaties are similar. As I said, I have zero control over that aspect. All I can do is try & keep my physical device secure.
    Yep. I still get perturbed when I see RIM gave in to...... When either the others there have no reason to give in or do so also or will.
    07-05-12 11:04 AM
    Yep. I still get perturbed when I see RIM gave in to...... When either the others there have no reason to give in or do so also or will.
    It's quite possible that all manufacturers share data with the Indian government without us knowing. The only reason it made news for RIM is because they fought it and India threatened to ban them. I don't think RIM had too many options.
    07-05-12 11:12 AM
    It's quite possible that all manufacturers share data with the Indian government without us knowing. The only reason it made news for RIM is because they fought it and India threatened to ban them. I don't think RIM had too many options.
    Nor the others if they want a presence there.
    hornlovah likes this.
    07-05-12 11:18 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD