I don't text while I drive.. but I don't believe that bluetooth makes it any less a distraction then holding it to your ear..

they do this because they want you to have 2 hands on the wheel when you drive..

umm I don't think I used 2 hands on the wheel sense the day I took my driving test.
    I completely agree and share your habits on single-handed driving. However, if you drive on the highway/freeway for more than 10 minutes at a time, you'll notice just how many do still use both hands. It's amazing, actually (only because it's weird to see it!). I guess not everybody can use a record breaking 20% of their brain.
    12-08-08 08:53 PM
    Holding a cell in one hand is a bad thing when driving. Having a handsfree kit makes it safer to talk. Period. That's why the laws allow you to use a handsfree kit and drive. If you're fumbling with a phone, it greatly increases the chance of being overly distracted. Granted, the person on the other end of the phone could tell you a loved one just died or you are being let go from your job but generally simply talking on the phone to arrange babysitters or figure out the location of a meeting is no big deal.

As for texting while driving. Give me a break. Do me a favor if you text while driving. Please don't wear a seat belt. Oh. I almost forgot. Make sure you fill out the organ donor information on the back of your license.

I do sometimes check email while driving. Well, more accurately when stopped at a light. It only takes a second to scan email headers for something I'm waiting for but it's a bad idea to be staring at the small screen while the car is moving. Now if I had text to speech to read me my email that would be a good thing...
    12-08-08 08:54 PM
    Holding a cell in one hand is a bad thing when driving. Having a handsfree kit makes it safer to talk. Period. That's why the laws allow you to use a handsfree kit and drive. If you're fumbling with a phone, it greatly increases the chance of being overly distracted. Granted, the person on the other end of the phone could tell you a loved one just died or you are being let go from your job but generally simply talking on the phone to arrange babysitters or figure out the location of a meeting is no big deal.

As for texting while driving. Give me a break. Do me a favor if you text while driving. Please don't wear a seat belt. Oh. I almost forgot. Make sure you fill out the organ donor information on the back of your license.

I do sometimes check email while driving. Well, more accurately when stopped at a light. It only takes a second to scan email headers for something I'm waiting for but it's a bad idea to be staring at the small screen while the car is moving. Now if I had text to speech to read me my email that would be a good thing...
    Good points! That's why I use Vlingo, an amazing voice-to-text application that works with texting, emailing, dialing, opening apps, etc. Now, whenever my wife sends one of her 20 texts on my way home, I just respond using my voice instead of typing. It's great.

p.s., I have the permanent red/pink circle for my donor information on my license, so I'm good to go!
    12-08-08 08:56 PM
    Enough with the stereotyping word, yes it sounds big and intelligent but it's all wrong for the situation. Stereotyping is when somebody makes an acusation or assumption of somebody else based on a known and generalized reputation for whatever that person is associated with. What you did is made your opinion known and then asked others for their feedback. On this issue, that's like asking for a verbal beating; you'd be surprised by how many have been in or know somebody who was injured in a car accident involving cell phone use.
    If you notice in my very first post I didn't insult anyone. You compared me to a "rap singer" and then went on to use the "po-po" quote like if I intended to say that. So yes, you assumed I'm some sort of outlaw and sterotyped.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 08:59 PM
    Driving/texting isn't even close to driving with a blindfold on. That's not even comparable. And so you're saying that eventhough there's still a chance that a car might come your way it's still okay for you to do that on a rural road?? I see no difference. It's still driving/texting.
    Driving on a rural private drive in Wisconsin, where theres maybe two cars a day and going 20MPH is completely safe to talk/text on. Unless your asleep you know if there's a car coming because of the huge dust cloud behind the car ahead. But w/e I'm getting off topic here.

Your just a big arogant a** who doesn't think they have to follow laws because there so much more special than everyone else. I follow laws regarding cellphone use while driving, there are no laws in rural Wisconsin regarding this.
    12-09-08 11:38 AM

Your just a big arogant a** who doesn't think they have to follow laws because there so much more special than everyone else.
    Pretty much. If it was so bad then the law should have been established years and years ago here in California. Just another way for the state of CA to make some more money. Once the housing bust started, and the state of the economy in this state became garbage, then all of a sudden we need to make sure that nobody is talking on the phone as they drive. All of a sudden they try to instill to us that doing that is unsafe. ALL OF A SUDDEN. Give me a break. If I get caught, I'll take the ticket. Who cares. CHP hardly gives tickets for it anyway. And if I die in a car crash because I was texting, it's my problem. We're all gonna die anyway.
    12-09-08 12:14 PM
    According to the NTSB, talking over bluetooth and holding the phone to your ear are statistically pretty equal. It's not how you're talking that makes it dangerous, it's the fact that your brain is distracted from the task of driving that makes it dangerous.

Oh, and if someone comes along and jacks your car or steals your Berry, please don't be mad. They know it's illegal, they just don't care.
    well that was pretty damn stupid
    12-09-08 12:25 PM
    Hasn't this truly ridiculous conversation already been done to death
    on this forum.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/text...t=text+driving

And before you point out the thread title, driving and phone use
    was discussed there, ad nauseum, also.
    you know i think you are a cool guy but why does it always seem that you are always one of the first people to jump up on someone's thread to shake your finger at them?
    12-09-08 12:27 PM
    Just because you haven't read them doesn't mean they're not there.

1 In 20 Crashes Linked To Cell Phones , Study Weighs Accident Risk Vs. How Much People Value Cell Phones - CBS News
    III - Cellphones and Driving
    This one specifically states California's cell phone law:California Cell Phone Car Accident Attorney
    And my favorite:
    Cell Phone Car Accidents: Driver Distraction, Auto Driving, Photos, Pictures: Cell Phone User Car Crashes from Car-Accidents.com

You don't want to compare apples to oranges? Fine. When someone talking on a cell phone plows into your car while you're not wearing your seat belt, remember how these actions "don't hurt anyone else."
    ok well how about the guys who shave while driving? lets ban that too! or the chicks fixing their hair or make up! add breathing to that list since no one can obviously do more than one thing at once.
    12-09-08 12:28 PM
    And what about when the two of you collide with the person wearing their seatbelt and NOT talking or texting. This involves everyone that's on the road with you. It includes me and my kids that are in the car with me. Shrug that one off.
    i talk on the phone with my kid in thecar.

QUICK! someone call CPS!
    12-09-08 12:29 PM
    Stop being so ignorant. Driving and texting or driving and talking are both extremely dangerous and have killed people. Driving while texting is essentially the same thing as driving with a blind fold on. I suppose you wouldn't care if you drove with a blind fold on because your not hurting anyone else.

The only time its okay to talk/text on your phone is if your driving on a rural farm road (which I do a lot) and there isn't another car for miles up the road. Its a completely different thing if you do it in busy city traffic.
    yes. because you wont crash on a rural road when talking/texting. it only happens when other cars are around. no fences... corn fields... no farming equipment... nope. none of that at all.
    12-09-08 12:30 PM
    Driving on a rural private drive in Wisconsin, where theres maybe two cars a day and going 20MPH is completely safe to talk/text on. Unless your asleep you know if there's a car coming because of the huge dust cloud behind the car ahead. But w/e I'm getting off topic here.

Your just a big arogant a** who doesn't think they have to follow laws because there so much more special than everyone else. I follow laws regarding cellphone use while driving, there are no laws in rural Wisconsin regarding this.
    wait. let me see if i got this.
    There are laws in Wisconsin that apply to cellphones but as soon as you enter the sticks the laws are null and void? News to me! Maybe I skipped that chapter in my law classes.
    12-09-08 12:32 PM
    In the uk - I take and make calls if it's on the screen-mounted bracket (on speakerphone), and also use it for sat nav and music.
    I'll do texts if I'm stopped and waiting in a long queue. Sometimes I use it as a voice recorder if I think of something and don't want to forget it.
    I wouldn't use the thing anywhere I considered it to be risky, either due to other road users, or pedestrians presenting a hazard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 12:42 PM
    This thread has become a disasterpiece.

There's no need for personal attacks so lets just call it a day.
    12-09-08 12:43 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD