I know it's illegal here in Cali now to talk with the phone to your ear but quite frankly I don't care. Most of the time Highway Patrol doesn't stop you anyway. It's mostly city cops that ticket you because private citizens report those officers who talk and drive while on duty to their department. But my point is, I only talk like 5% of the time on my bluetooth while driving. The other 95% to my ear. And I can't help but text so much as I drive. Anyone else here who just doesn't care? I agree, texting/driving is way more dangerous. But talking and driving I don't think so.
    Last edited by poe1983; 12-08-08 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Clarification
    12-08-08 03:56 PM
    Yeah I text and drive. My car has bluetooth so everytime I get it in it syncs up to my BB

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 03:59 PM
    According to the NTSB, talking over bluetooth and holding the phone to your ear are statistically pretty equal. It's not how you're talking that makes it dangerous, it's the fact that your brain is distracted from the task of driving that makes it dangerous.

Oh, and if someone comes along and jacks your car or steals your Berry, please don't be mad. They know it's illegal, they just don't care.
    12-08-08 04:17 PM
    According to the NTSB, talking over bluetooth and holding the phone to your ear are statistically pretty equal. It's not how you're talking that makes it dangerous, it's the fact that your brain is distracted from the task of driving that makes it dangerous.

Oh, and if someone comes along and jacks your car or steals your Berry, please don't be mad. They know it's illegal, they just don't care.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    12-08-08 04:19 PM
    Of course they don't care because it hurts someone else. If I don't wanna wear a seatbelt and talk on the phone I'm not a threat to anyone else. There still isn't ONE case that I've read about that an accident was actually caused by the person driving and talking on a cell phone. That's comparing apples to oranges. Car jacking in California is a felony.

Last edited by poe1983; 12-08-08 at 04:32 PM.
    12-08-08 04:20 PM
    Dumb post. You want to find out how many others don't care about the cell phone law in ca? I use my bluetooth all the time and like it better. Get a good one and you won't feel the need to mimic the mentality of a socially inept teenage rap singer.

12-08-08 04:25 PM
    Talking is one thing...driving and texting is just plain crazy! I was involved in an accident due to a teenage girl driving with her knees and texting. Well, that's what I was told anyhow, after she drove me off the road she halled @$$ leaving me on the side of the road...oh yeah, I was on my motorcycle.

I was in a coma for 2 days and nearly broke everything on the left side. My GSX-R? Don't ask, I miss her dearly.

For those of you who insist on doing this, please reconsider.
    12-08-08 04:26 PM
    You want to find out how many others don't care about the cell phone law in ca?

Yes. Exactly. Thanks for replying to the "dumb post." Also for stereotyping.

12-08-08 04:29 PM
    Hmm i just did it today. From work to home. Though my hands are on the phone or steering wheel and eyes are on the road and look down just a little to find out I am hitting the right key strokes. Sorry but I don't like doing it as well. Some times things do happen. People can't drive and talk at the same time, they have too much to worry about on the dam PHONE! Whopps
    Last edited by shootlessjoe; 12-08-08 at 05:04 PM.
    12-08-08 04:55 PM
    Hasn't this truly ridiculous conversation already been done to death
    on this forum.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/text...t=text+driving

And before you point out the thread title, driving and phone use
    was discussed there, ad nauseum, also.
    12-08-08 05:04 PM
    It is not illegal where I live but I do think they should issue a special permit for it. Face it some people are just better at concentrating on miliple tasks. Like I get behind some people that talk on their phone and slow down then when you go to pass they speed up. That is dangerous. But I maintain a constant speed don't wabble and I pay more attention to the road than the phone. I also text and don't look at the keys. I have memorixed my keypad and learned my SureType really well.

12-08-08 05:23 PM
    Talking is one thing...driving and texting is just plain crazy! I was involved in an accident due to a teenage girl driving with her knees and texting. Well, that's what I was told anyhow, after she drove me off the road she halled @$$ leaving me on the side of the road...oh yeah, I was on my motorcycle.

I was in a coma for 2 days and nearly broke everything on the left side. My GSX-R? Don't ask, I miss her dearly.

For those of you who insist on doing this, please reconsider.
    Exactly, I live in SoCal and if you nearly run me over while I'm on my motorcycle due to you talking/texting don't expect your side mirrors to stay attached to your car as I catch up to you.
    12-08-08 05:31 PM
    There still isn't ONE case that I've read about that an accident was actually caused by the person driving and talking on a cell phone.
    Just because you haven't read them doesn't mean they're not there.

1 In 20 Crashes Linked To Cell Phones , Study Weighs Accident Risk Vs. How Much People Value Cell Phones - CBS News
    III - Cellphones and Driving
    This one specifically states California's cell phone law:California Cell Phone Car Accident Attorney
    And my favorite:
    Cell Phone Car Accidents: Driver Distraction, Auto Driving, Photos, Pictures: Cell Phone User Car Crashes from Car-Accidents.com

You don't want to compare apples to oranges? Fine. When someone talking on a cell phone plows into your car while you're not wearing your seat belt, remember how these actions "don't hurt anyone else."
    12-08-08 06:03 PM
    I work EMS, lives are lost way too frequently due to people texting while driving. Its stupid.
    12-08-08 06:06 PM
    You don't want to compare apples to oranges? Fine. When someone talking on a cell phone plows into your car while you're not wearing your seat belt, remember how these actions "don't hurt anyone else."
    EXACTLY. They hurt me because I didn't wear a seat belt, and the other driver who was messing on his/her cell phone. I'm talking just strictly that one person and I. Nobody else gets hurt. S*it happens. ::shrugs::
    12-08-08 06:12 PM
    Right, because there's never any collateral damage in a vehicle collision, especially on highways/freeways.

12-08-08 06:38 PM
    EXACTLY. They hurt me because I didn't wear a seat belt, and the other driver who was messing on his/her cell phone. I'm talking just strictly that one person and I. Nobody else gets hurt. S*it happens. ::shrugs::

And what about when the two of you collide with the person wearing their seatbelt and NOT talking or texting. This involves everyone that's on the road with you. It includes me and my kids that are in the car with me. Shrug that one off.
    12-08-08 06:46 PM
    And what about when the two of you collide with the person wearing their seatbelt and NOT talking or texting. This involves everyone that's on the road with you. It includes me and my kids that are in the car with me. Shrug that one off.
    Then wearing a seatbelt isn't all that safe anyway if someone collides from another accident into you. Of course I don't want something bad like that to happen to anyone's kids. But no matter what the reason that someone collides into you, a seat belt isn't gonna help one way or the other.
    12-08-08 06:53 PM
    Of course they don't care because it hurts someone else. If I don't wanna wear a seatbelt and talk on the phone I'm not a threat to anyone else. There still isn't ONE case that I've read about that an accident was actually caused by the person driving and talking on a cell phone. That's comparing apples to oranges. Car jacking in California is a felony.

Stop being so ignorant. Driving and texting or driving and talking are both extremely dangerous and have killed people. Driving while texting is essentially the same thing as driving with a blind fold on. I suppose you wouldn't care if you drove with a blind fold on because your not hurting anyone else.

The only time its okay to talk/text on your phone is if your driving on a rural farm road (which I do a lot) and there isn't another car for miles up the road. Its a completely different thing if you do it in busy city traffic.
    12-08-08 06:55 PM
    Dumb post. You want to find out how many others don't care about the cell phone law in ca? I use my bluetooth all the time and like it better. Get a good one and you won't feel the need to mimic the mentality of a socially inept teenage rap singer.

LoL. I share your exact beliefs.
    12-08-08 07:24 PM
    Driving while texting is essentially the same thing as driving with a blind fold on.

The only time its okay to talk/text on your phone is if your driving on a rural farm road (which I do a lot) and there isn't another car for miles up the road. Its a completely different thing if you do it in busy city traffic.
    Driving/texting isn't even close to driving with a blindfold on. That's not even comparable. And so you're saying that eventhough there's still a chance that a car might come your way it's still okay for you to do that on a rural road?? I see no difference. It's still driving/texting.
    12-08-08 07:35 PM
    Ignorance must truly be bliss. Some people really just can't seem to comprehend the concepts of direct and indirect consequence. Saying that wearing your seatbelt maybe -isn't- good to do if somebody is going to hit you from the side? Come on, now. That's just stupid.

I'm one of those people that can talk on my cell (with a hand holding it), drive and think about what I'm going to make for dinner at the same time...and do it well. However, 99% of people can't. I'll gladly make the sacrifice to use a bluetooth device if it saves lives and accidents from happening because of those who can't multitask.

Drop the discussion and your opinion of, "f*** the po po! I'll do what I want!" Everybody but you knows it's just that, too.
    12-08-08 08:32 PM
    Ignorance must truly be bliss. Some people really just can't seem to comprehend the concepts of direct and indirect consequence. Saying that wearing your seatbelt maybe -isn't- good to do if somebody is going to hit you from the side? Come on, now. That's just stupid.

I'm one of those people that can talk on my cell (with a hand holding it), drive and think about what I'm going to make for dinner at the same time...and do it well. However, 99% of people can't. I'll gladly make the sacrifice to use a bluetooth device if it saves lives and accidents from happening because of those who can't multitask.

Drop the discussion and your opinion of, "f*** the po po! I'll do what I want!" Everybody but you knows it's just that, too.
    You're calling some "ignorant" but you keep stereotyping on your posts. Just because I say I don't care about this specific law I must be saying "f the 'po-po."

12-08-08 08:35 PM
    I don't text while I drive.. but I don't believe that bluetooth makes it any less a distraction then holding it to your ear..

they do this because they want you to have 2 hands on the wheel when you drive..

umm I don't think I used 2 hands on the wheel sense the day I took my driving test.
    12-08-08 08:42 PM
    You're calling some "ignorant" but you keep stereotyping on your posts. Just because I say I don't care about this specific law I must be saying "f the 'po-po."

Enough with the stereotyping word, yes it sounds big and intelligent but it's all wrong for the situation. Stereotyping is when somebody makes an acusation or assumption of somebody else based on a known and generalized reputation for whatever that person is associated with. What you did is made your opinion known and then asked others for their feedback. On this issue, that's like asking for a verbal beating; you'd be surprised by how many have been in or know somebody who was injured in a car accident involving cell phone use.
    12-08-08 08:51 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD