We've all been made aware of Chen's comments on 'app neutrality. I don't think this is something that should be legislated, though I sort of get his point. You can't force devs to make apps for your platform.

However, I was wondering if something could be gained from getting started on a relationship with major app makers and having them add a "Download for BlackBerry10' button to their sites if:

A) The app is available on the Amazon Appstore
    B) The app works on BB10 devices

Hey! BB is allowing apks to be installed, why not make that clear to more users?

Something like this:

I know Instagram is a bad example, but it was the easiest pic to find online.

That would, of course, link to the Amazon Store for apks that work on BB10 devices.

Getting that relationship going with the devs/companies would be great, because they wouldn't mind having more customers. They may also make that little effort to make sure that the apps actually display properly on BB10 devices.

The biggest advantage of this is that it would make users more aware of Blackberry and that their apps will work on BB10 devices. Another thing it would do is improve the relationship between BB and the devs, maybe making them more open to adding native BB10 apps.

I realize that almost no dev has links to the Amazon Appstore, but does anyone else think that something like this would be good for BB? And maybe even slightly feasible?
    01-22-15 12:10 PM
    Sure it would help to see a link to Amazon App Store. That is up to the dev to add it though and like you said i have seen very few "Available on Amazon App Store" links
    01-22-15 12:30 PM
    Sure it would help to see a link to Amazon App Store. That is up to the dev to add it though and like you said i have seen very few "Available on Amazon App Store" links
    Yep, I agree that it's up to the dev, but given that BB is so far behind, perhaps they could have a couple of people who try to convince devs to add that link --- something like 'We've noticed that your Android app works well with our BB10 devices, and our customers can download it from the Amazon Appstore. Would you mind adding this link to your site? Our users would love to have direct access to your app. Thanks, BB."

Since BB is so far down the totem pole, they may have to do some of the legwork for the dev.
    01-22-15 12:47 PM