Whether your argument that the double letter issue is software or hardware related, BlackBerry did not acknowledge the problem with their Q10 2 years back. They had the time needed to address the problem and instead they choose to ignore it. Q10 today still have this ongoing problem. Now Classic and Passport owners are scrambling with these double letters claims as well.

I'm a Passport owner and love the phone so much I tell people its the greatest phone I have ever own. Ever since this double typing happened to me 2 months ago, I'm starting to lose faith in BlackBerry. Not listening to their customers with an ongoing problem for over 2 years is like a crime in the technology world.

PKB is their bread and butter. Do they not care? What about future devices like the slider with PKB?
    05-05-15 02:47 PM
    I love the PKB, and had always had one, always being BlackBerry, I noticed at the end of my use of the 9900, it started having the double typing issue. I figured no problem I'll get the new Q10, and it worked flawlessly, a beautiful and amazing phone. 6 months into my Q10 the double typing issue started and it was getting worse. I've had 3 Q10 and all with the same out come. So it was time for a new phone and I really want the passport, but I then thought about keyboard issue, so decided to wait a while to see if the keyboard problem would appear. So I opted on the Z30 for now, aside of getting use to the touch screen keyboard, it is a pretty damn phone. I am getting better and getting use to the touch screen keyboard, but I still would prefer the PKB. I'm waiting to see what blackberry will do about the double typing, and I can see and understand why people choose another phone. Patiently wait!.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and anon(8080272) like this.
    05-05-15 03:04 PM
    Patiently waiting that is.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 03:05 PM
    What has been called BlackBerry's "deafening silence" regarding the double-typing issue has left anyone affected with a bad taste.

I consider myself a die-hard pkb fan, but even I have given up and switched to a vkb.

The sad thing is, once BlackBerry alienates its pkb die-hards, it's a much smaller step to outright brand attrition. Competition in the all-touch segment is fierce, and BlackBerry lags far behind on the all-important thinness and specifications measures.

So I think you may be right thymaster. This could be the end of the pkb, at least from a demand perspective, especially if BlackBerry doesn't address the issue. For many, it may already be too late.

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    05-05-15 03:26 PM
    My Q started to double type after nine months. Ugh. It was manageable though.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 03:49 PM
    if Blackberry do not fix the keyboard problems it could be the end of PKB as customers will eventually give up and move to touch screen keyboards.
    05-05-15 04:09 PM
    It's not just a software or hardware issue... It's a BlackBerry issue.
    05-05-15 04:17 PM
    Get a q5. P

Posted via CB10
    flyingsolid likes this.
    05-05-15 05:06 PM
    if Blackberry do not fix the keyboard problems it could be the end of PKB as customers will eventually give up and move to touch screen keyboards.
    Nearly all of them already have...
    05-05-15 05:09 PM
    What has been called BlackBerry's "deafening silence" regarding the double-typing issue has left anyone affected with a bad taste.

I consider myself a die-hard pkb fan, but even I have given up and switched to a vkb.

The sad thing is, once BlackBerry alienates its pkb die-hards, it's a much smaller step to outright brand attrition. Competition in the all-touch segment is fierce, and BlackBerry lags far behind on the all-important thinness and specifications measures.

So I think you may be right thymaster. This could be the end of the pkb, at least from a demand perspective, especially if BlackBerry doesn't address the issue. For many, it may already be too late.

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    This is very true. The PKB is the reason I stay. If those go away then off to Android I go.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 05:28 PM
    To be fair, physical keyboards are much more prone to problems than touchscreens which is one more argument in favour of touchscreens.

Every Samsung and LG keyboard phone (5 in total) I have bought has had keyboard problems which is why I moved to BlackBerry in late 2013. So far, so good.

Posted via CB10
    eduzojordan likes this.
    05-05-15 05:31 PM
    I wonder why BlackBerry would sell and Enterprise would purchase, unreliable PKB phones. The 9900 keyboard was not perfect but generally they would not go bad out of the box.
    05-05-15 05:43 PM
    I've used the passport and for about 6 mons and no double typing. It now have the classic. I've had it for about 1 month and nothing yet. I hope it stays that way!

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 05:46 PM
    To be fair, physical keyboards are much more prone to problems than touchscreens which is one more argument in favour of touchscreens.

Every Samsung and LG keyboard phone (5 in total) I have bought has had keyboard problems which is why I moved to BlackBerry in late 2013. So far, so good.

Posted via CB10
    Good point though I don't remember it with the old kb phones, just rather recently. But you're right, it's one of the reasons why touch screen phones are so popular.
    05-05-15 05:51 PM
    I wonder why BlackBerry would sell and Enterprise would purchase, unreliable PKB phones. The 9900 keyboard was not perfect but generally they would not go bad out of the box.
    Amazing, isn't it? You would have thought they would have done everything to fix it.
    05-05-15 05:52 PM
    Maybe it's the thickness (or lack thereof)?

Maybe it's simply not possible for BlackBerry to design a physical keyboard that works as well on phones that have become so thin?
    Or am I overstating the thickness of a... 9810/9900/9000?
    05-05-15 05:54 PM
    These little keyboards go through an enormous amount of abuse and battering...

If they made them easily users-replaceable (just like a removable battery) without any technical skills needed, problem would be solved.

Essentially no physical keyboard will last forever, so - depending on the use it gets - we have to look at it as a consumable, just like printer cartridges... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    05-05-15 05:56 PM
    These little keyboards go through an enormous amount of abuse and battering...

If they made them easily users-replaceable (just like a removable battery) without any technical skills needed, problem would be solved.

Essentially no physical keyboard will last forever, so - depending on the use it gets - we have to look at it as a consumable, just like printer cartridges... :-)

•   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   •
    But I don't remember it happening with my 9000, 9810, 9900. What's the difference? Thickness as Marsup brought up?
    05-05-15 06:02 PM
    Whether your argument that the double letter issue is software or hardware related, BlackBerry did not acknowledge the problem with their Q10 2 years back. They had the time needed to address the problem and instead they choose to ignore it. Q10 today still have this ongoing problem. Now Classic and Passport owners are scrambling with these double letters claims as well.

I'm a Passport owner and love the phone so much I tell people its the greatest phone I have ever own. Ever since this double typing happened to me 2 months ago, I'm starting to lose faith in BlackBerry. Not listening to their customers with an ongoing problem for over 2 years is like a crime in the technology world.

PKB is their bread and butter. Do they not care? What about future devices like the slider with PKB?
    I've been flogging mine, and nothing yet. My Q10 did it to me after more than a year. I know something will happen sooner or later, because a physical keyboard or any mechanical part will not last forever.

The work that needs to be done is on the replacement side. Make it easy to replace (clip-on), problem solved, user happy, BlackBerry no liability or warranty drama. Just send them a $5 replacement in the mail. Sorted... :-)

(Ink cartridges, pencils, desktop keyboards, shoes - all consumables exposed to wear. Does anyone stir up a fuss when their tyres wear out? Yet people are horrified when they find out hard disks are spinning platters that will eventually wear out the same way. )

Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    05-05-15 06:04 PM
    But I don't remember it happening with my 9000, 9810, 9900. What's the difference? Thickness as Marsup brought up?
    That would be interesting to investigate and find out. Better resistance to keystrokes?

But I believe there are users with their 9900s and other models that have this issue.

Imho, you can't make the keyboard last forever in any way. Make it (user-)replaceable, and the problem is no longer.

JRF_1986 likes this.
    05-05-15 06:07 PM
    That would be interesting to investigate and find out. Better resistance to keystrokes?

But I believe there are users with their 9900s and other models that have this issue.

Imho, you can't make the keyboard last forever in any way. Make it (user-)replaceable, and the problem is no longer.

I do like your idea if it's possible. Sounds like a potential patent idea!
    kbz1960 and Prem WatsApp like this.
    05-05-15 06:22 PM
    I've been flogging mine, and nothing yet. My Q10 did it to me after more than a year. I know something will happen sooner or later, because a physical keyboard or any mechanical part will not last forever.

The work that needs to be done is on the replacement side. Make it easy to replace (clip-on), problem solved, user happy, BlackBerry no liability or warranty drama. Just send them a $5 replacement in the mail. Sorted... :-)

(Ink cartridges, pencils, desktop keyboards, shoes - all consumables exposed to wear. Does anyone stir up a fuss when their tyres wear out? Yet people are horrified when they find out hard disks are spinning platters that will eventually wear out the same way. )

Terrific idea. But the problems still remain: 1) No acknowledgment from BB. 2) It's not easily user-replaceable.

Perhaps the next hardware iterations with listen to the great Prem Watsapp!
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    05-05-15 06:25 PM
    Maybe it is the thinness. I've had all of these:

LG Rumor (original)
    LG Lotus
    BlackBerry Bold (97xx?)
    BlackBerry Curve (Sprint)
    BlackBerry Torch 9810
    BlackBerry Curve 9310
    Motorola Photon Q

All used very heavily with never an issue. I think the odd key wasn't super clicky on one of the Curves but they all worked perfectly. Now here we are with BB10 devices with issues.

I've heard the Q5 isn't effected, so maybe it's a different design inside? I know the 5 has different keys.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 06:31 PM

I also like your solution to this problem. Every laptop I've ever owned eventually needed the keyboard replaced or that was the underlying issue that prompted me to get a whole new laptop.

Perhaps the reason that the older ones were lasting longer is that, with the smaller keys, people were more 'delicate' in their typing habits? I know that there are many different typing methods and I think that is part of the reason that the double typing issue has 'followed' some users while others are still uncertain whether or not to believe in the 'myth' of it. With the larger keyboard from the 9900 onward, it gave people the ability to really hammer on those keys without losing accuracy.

Personally, I recall a CB member back in the day talking about how he got used to the physical keyboard again and describing that 'sliding' motion over the keys going from one key to the next. That changed my technique and probably makes the wear on the keyboard a bit less intense since instead of pressing the keys from an inch away and hammering on them, I am really just pressing them in from the surface. I know it's a wild theory and it doesn't solve the solution for everyone. But it also improved my typing speed and gives the PKB another advantage over the touchscreen. You can't glide from letter to letter without typos on a virtual keyboard (unless you have that fancy 'swift key' or whatever it is on the virtual keyboard.

Anyway, it's something that shouldn't be as big of an ordeal as it is for some users and I empathize with them. However, I think in most cases it is a matter or wear and tear and not a manufacturing defect that BlackBerry needs to necessarily take responsibility for.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    05-05-15 06:38 PM
    There is ample anecdotal evidence here on CB that the current double typing issues are mainly due to manufacturing and or design defects.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 07:01 PM
123 123 ...