I just removed the last Blackberry from the network and permanently shut down the BES server. BREAK OUT THE CHAMPAGNE! : sysadmin
    He's celebrating the loss of security...
    Them upvotes... do people really hate blackberry? did they even try bb10?

Via CB10 on Z10STL100-2/10.3.0.296
    anon721037 likes this.
    08-05-14 09:45 AM
    Them upvotes... do people really hate blackberry?
    Yes. Haters gonna hate.
    did they even try bb10?
    No. Haters gonna hate.
    Too obsessed with security when mentioned BlackBerry. I wonder if you have multiple firewall on your computer network.

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    Companies should be. Thread is about a sysadmin moving away from a secure platform. OP has nothing to do with this and how many firewalls he is under is no such concern of yours.
    08-05-14 10:08 AM
    Look at this one too................
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...erry_emulator/

Via CB10 on Z10STL100-2/10.3.0.296
    08-05-14 10:11 AM
    It is an old thread. Worry not about it.
    08-05-14 10:11 AM
    I believe BlackBerry will have to differentiate them self from bbos and as such these threads really don't do any damage
    08-05-14 10:12 AM
    These are from years ago. Probably before bb10 was even released.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 10:14 AM
    It's the internet, you can always find something that crushes your soul as easily as you can find something that makes your day. It's up to you...

Posted via CB10
    UnlimitedEra likes this.
    08-05-14 10:19 AM
    Never been a BES admin... but the company I use to work for had one. Had one guy that did everything in the IT department (small company), and BES was not his favorite subject.

But back then there were not really any options....

But yes, just like many hate Microsoft and their software, many users and IT people hate BlackBerry.... Doesn't mean there is truly a better option for all situations though.
    Reed Richards likes this.
    08-05-14 10:20 AM
    I've been doing BES installations since BES 4.0 and all the way up to 10.2 (hopefully BES 12 very soon).
    I have done several hundreds of BlackBerry installations during the past 8 years and spend a LOT of time assisting enterprises with BlackBerry issues as well as worked with T-Support In numerous cases.

BES is not a very nice product. When BES 5 was launched it was a lousy web interface and a memory hog. It's ridiculous to see an MDM solution use 2GB of memory to handle 50 devices.

BlackBerry always lacked tools for doing stuff on the servet. A few examples: change password for besadmin account caused you to do it manually on all services. Create single sign on? Try to add SCP in AD by following a very poorly written manual. Reporting? Non existing. Debug device issues? Sure... just have to extract the log from the device using USB cable within 10-30 after the issue occurred.

Synchronization was mostly stable from the server side, but it sure had some issues too. MAPI was never meant to be used like BlackBerry did, but EAS was not impressive. EAS 2.5 was the first version working somewhat okay. This was Exchange 2003 SP2.

So BlackBerrys PIM success was mainly due to having a push solution for PIM data with great data compression.

Technology outgrew the basis for BlackBerrys existence and they did see it coming.

The devices got into serious troubles. Mainly because of BlackBerry OS during version 6 and 7. From a professional point of view it looked like they lost control of the os until they realized it would never make a reasonable alternative to iOS so they acquired QNX and moved 90% of the developers to BB10 and abandoned BlackBerry OS. Right thing to but it was too late: BlackBerry users just had to live with underpowered devices, random unexplainable errors and slow devices.

A normal "fix" was to wipe a device and activate it again. It could easily take 30-60 minutes or even more if you decided to upgrade the OS at the same time (Autoloaders did not exist).

This is what former BlackBerry users still think of BlackBerry and it will *never* be something that can be fixed. (OK if you have money like Apple or Samsung and more than a decade it might be possible).

BlackBerry 10 seems to be doing quite well with EAS and do far the OS seems to be quite secure, but it might be due to an almost non-existent market share. It will be almost impossible to fix the lack of native apps, do we have to use Android versions send hope they work. It's a mess having to use two appstores soon (or three if you use Snap).

So I do understand why BlackBerry continue to see their userbase shrink and you will see posts from BES admins being happy for not having to support the legacy devices.

Personally I love OS 10.2/3 and I do hope BlackBerry with their new management can do a lot better commercially than before. BES 12 can only compete if it really improves UI and performance. If not only a low price tag will make it attractive.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-14 12:28 PM