Yup. But according to certain posters above, if you respond in any way, shape or form to them, you are the reason people are fleeing from BlackBerry and shortsighted.
    Really? LOL... Didn't see any posts that said that except for the usual suspects who I've put on 'Ignore` quite a while back. Makes threads so much more readable, I recommend it.

The simple responses to these sheep herders is to not give them the response they are trying to get from you (an embarrassed apology for not becoming part of the borg) and instead actually question their phone choices in ways they clearly have no answer to.

Revisiting your examples above.....
    Actually, `Yup' is the answer I give. I don't get into explaining myself... If asked specific questions I'll answer or demo features, but like the OP, I'm tired of 'explaining' why I'm using a BlackBerry. I don't defend or rise to the bait if someone is dismissive or being pushy. I will drop in a distracted 'oh, that's nice' if someone is being in my face and waving their superior phone around... Usually shuts them up.

Kinda like an Ignore button for real-time daily use.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    05-03-15 06:50 PM
    [WARN]Last notice.

The topic of the thread is explaining/being done with explaining BlackBerry to others. Skip the off-topic comments.[/WARN]
    Laura Knotek and thymaster like this.
    05-03-15 07:32 PM
    The one that's needs to explain what Blackberry is, is Blackberry themselves by promoting the brand again.

Here is the USA the brand is all but dead and most folks I show my Blackberry to and/or ask about the brand tell me the company is out of business and nobody uses those things anymore.

I know everyone has heard this before, but I find I very difficult to try and show my Blackberry off or promote the brand knowing the response I am going to get!

Those folks up there in Waterloo need to let folks know they are still around? Based on what I have seen here, it's, Who is Blackberry??
    Very good post! Even in Canada, if not for die hard BB fans (like me) most people don't see BB, talk about BB, or even know what's going to happen to them. They should market their products. They are still relevant, secure, and I find them to be better than other platforms out there. It's almost like they killed off their marketing Dept.
    05-04-15 12:24 AM
    Ignoring critics is a fundamental business management error; it is within the often hurtful & sometimes laughable digs the sharp manager will discover their Achilles heel... just sayin'
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-04-15 01:32 AM
    Most folks don't realize that a Blackberry device is no more safer then any other device unless your using BES and connected to a BES server, period.
    This is not a good answer at all. And as the thread says, I'm indeed also tired to explain this again and again (even to BB users ...) But for you: the fact that RIM builds devices which don't pump user data again and again to the company's servers is a great feature related to privacy aspects. Many, many people don't have this in their minds. Apple users synchronize everything to everywhere without even knowing this, it is just like this and it works (of course it works!, Apple cares for this accurately, they know why), and this is already the end of their consideration, doesn't matter who's behind all that. Security may be making a device safe against vulnerability, mostly using authentication any encryption. And in this aspect a BB is indeed not much better than any other device, they use the same technologies. But this is only one half of the problem. Privacy is mainly making the device safe against chattering out all the personal stuff, the contacts, the calendar events, your searches, your banking accounts and all that. These data represent really a lot of your person. And you can tighten a BB device very good in that aspect.
    05-04-15 02:05 AM
    Why do you need to explain yourself for using a BlackBerry? It's no ones business what phone you choose to use.

I stand confident with my phone choice. If people are going to be mean and try to break me I just ignore them or learn to take criticism in a light way. That's how you become a stronger person by enduring.

If some Android dude came up to me and say negative things about my BB Passport. I will tell him "Android?...sorry been there done that, I'm on to something new and better". I don't need to explain myself.
    Last edited by thymaster; 05-04-15 at 03:35 AM.
    05-04-15 03:18 AM
    I use my BlackBerry Q10 like non other; but I decided to get an iPhone as well, just so when idiots why I have a BlackBerry, I can tell them I have a dumb *** iPhone too.

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    harshadpatel and KemKev like this.
    05-04-15 03:58 AM
    I drive for Uber and Lyft, just last week on of the passengers setting in the front asked if my GPS system was a phone, I said yes it is a phone. He then asked what phone is that? I swyped my finger across the keyboard it lit up and I asked him can you guess? He said is that a BlackBerry, I said yes. His buddy setting in the back asked "what do you think will BlackBerry eventually fade away, or they will survive because they are funded by Microsoft?"
    I had to think and make sure I heard that right.. People don't have any clue about anything..

I don't want to got into the detail of how the rest of the conversation went, but just wanted to say that I know how you feel @OP.

Good day all.
    05-04-15 04:26 AM
    I drive for Uber and Lyft, just last week on of the passengers setting in the front asked if my GPS system was a phone, I said yes it is a phone. He then asked what phone is that? I swyped my finger across the keyboard it lit up and I asked him can you guess? He said is that a BlackBerry, I said yes. His buddy setting in the back asked "what do you think will BlackBerry eventually fade away, or they will survive because they are funded by Microsoft?"
    I had to think and make sure I heard that right.. People don't have any clue about anything..

I don't want to got into the detail of how the rest of the conversation went, but just wanted to say that I know how you feel @OP.

Good day all.
    Hahah, funded by Microsoft? I haven't heard something like that in a while.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 04:44 AM
    It is a comunication device - if you want to play games get something else
    05-04-15 04:57 AM
    Its like explaining smart to dumb. They dont get it. I mean if you watch a conference for BlackBerry, you may be able to see why its better than the iphone and android. All I hear is from iphone fans and very few android fans:

"Why are you trying to be different from the crowd? Just get an iphone"
    "I didnt even know they exist still"
    "Our corporate company all have iphones so doesnt mean BlackBerry is for security"

But then the open minded people say (just android fans):

"I can see why I would get a phone like that. It would be perfect for reading kindle books and using word, powerpoint and excel"
    "Its a beautiful device, I would get one but im on contract, where do they sell it?" (unfortunately att hadnt released the passport yet so the only way was to buy it up front at $650.00)

We will just have to wait for BlackBerry to boost their marketing campaign or wait for their turnaround..

Posted via CB10

Honestly, I don't understand any of this. BB users, or at least some that post here, seem to have the biggest inferiority complex. I'll give you an analogy:

As someone who grew up in the southeastern US, I am a rabid fan of college football. The University of Alabama to be specific. Our biggest rival is Auburn University. Auburn is smaller and far less successful. Auburn simply does not have the history or the name power that Alabama has. Auburn is obsessed with Alabama. They are always talking about us. They revel in telling stories of how we cheat, lie, take advantage, deceive....how blind we are to reality, how arrogant we can be.....it goes on and on and on.

The thing is.....we don't care. We genuinely don't care. Most Alabama fans take no interest in what Auburn is saying or doing or whatever. I never get mad at what they say or do...I just pay them no attention.

BB users....many at least.....are Auburn. Obsessed with big boys iPhone and Android. I don't begrudge anyone who uses either. I don't feel the need to promote my BB or sing it's praises unless someone asks my opinion. Just today I complimented a coworker on nice her new Samsung S5 looks. It's her money, it's her choice, and her purchase was certainly none of my business. Rather than debate the merits of her phone vs mine (she could care less anyways) I just told her it was a very nice phone and went on with my day.

Get over yourselves BB'ers. Some of you have an inferiority complex that is embarrassing to the rest of us.

/rant

Note: It may this specific post that I replied to but this is something that I find myself thinking almost daily as I read these forums. No personal offense to the OP intended.
    05-04-15 09:24 AM
    Honestly, I don't understand any of this. BB users, or at least some that post here, seem to have the biggest inferiority complex. I'll give you an analogy:

As someone who grew up in the southeastern US, I am a rabid fan of college football. The University of Alabama to be specific. Our biggest rival is Auburn University. Auburn is smaller and far less successful. Auburn simply does not have the history or the name power that Alabama has. Auburn is obsessed with Alabama. They are always talking about us. They revel in telling stories of how we cheat, lie, take advantage, deceive....how blind we are to reality, how arrogant we can be.....it goes on and on and on.

The thing is.....we don't care. We genuinely don't care. Most Alabama fans take no interest in what Auburn is saying or doing or whatever. I never get mad at what they say or do...I just pay them no attention.

BB users....many at least.....are Auburn. Obsessed with big boys iPhone and Android. I don't begrudge anyone who uses either. I don't feel the need to promote my BB or sing it's praises unless someone asks my opinion. Just today I complimented a coworker on nice her new Samsung S5 looks. It's her money, it's her choice, and her purchase was certainly none of my business. Rather than debate the merits of her phone vs mine (she could care less anyways) I just told her it was a very nice phone and went on with my day.

Get over yourselves BB'ers. Some of you have an inferiority complex that is embarrassing to the rest of us.

/rant

Note: It may this specific post that I replied to but this is something that I find myself thinking almost daily as I read these forums. No personal offense to the OP intended.
    Great analogy, but you got the OP's situation reversed. The OP is Auburn with the Alabama fans approaching and talking about him how much better they are.

Posted via CB10
    mnc76 likes this.
    05-04-15 11:21 AM
    Don't have to explain them anything! Tell them to google up they will find zillion of information about BlackBerry. Let me tell you the story about the two iPhone owners (my sister-in-law). There both have an iPhone and they are only make a few phone calls a day and a few text a day. When husband asked why they've got to have an iPhone not any other brands that is cheaper, they said they want an iPhone because most of their friends at work have an iPhone and they don't want their friends to make fun of them for not using an iPhone. This is the only reason my two sister-in-law got an iPhone. I understand why BlackBerry doesn't do much marketing because they still want to conserve on their cash while they are in the restructuring path? Marketing very expensive...
    muellerto likes this.
    05-04-15 11:26 AM
    One difference between a favorite sports team and a piece of technology is that the choice of a team to root for is almost completely emotional and arbitrary. With technology it is possible to define a set of requirements and objectively assess which of two choices satisfies them the best.

If someone tells me their #1 priority for a smart phone is entertainment and that they don't want to make a hobby of configuring their phone I emphatically recommend Apple's platform.

The frustration is with anyone who uses a one-size-fits-all emotional approach to answering the multi-faceted question of which mobile platform/ecosystem is best for a specific use case.

I absolutely feel a need to respond to people who want to know how I selected the technology platform I use. I am passionate about human-tech integration and productivity. In the end, I couldn't care less what people choose to use themselves, but I hope that they take the time to consider their choices rather than let marketers decide for them with their powerful communications campaigns.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 11:31 AM
    If BBRY is going to repeatedly shoot themselves in the foot I'm not going to help drag them back.
    05-04-15 12:36 PM
    It is a comunication device - if you want to play games get something else
    That is what people are doing.

Most consumers see phones as portable computers. Keep in mind that BlackBerry's best selling phone ever the Pearl was a very innovative device that had a pretty nifty keyboard, played mp3s, and had a camera (all pretty great features in 2006). It was more than just a communication device. People want to use their phones to do as many things as possible - communication (voice, video and texting), social media, networking, banking, games, content streaming, etc. Any consumer phone needs to be able to do all of these things. A company issued phone does not.

BlackBerry's biggest problem is that Apple has an ecosystem that integrates Macs, iPads, and iPhones. Android/Google is a solid solution that is also universally supported. Google's Chrome browser and browser extensions can also be synced with PC/Chromebooks and Android phones/tablets. Content such as songs and movies bought through the Google Play store can be streamed through TVs via Chromecast or Rokus. Microsoft is pushing for full integration via Windows 10. Microsoft already has Office and OneDrive on Android and Apple products. How does BlackBerry compete with all of this?

BlackBerry is still doing innovative things - the Passport is as innovative as it gets from its design to its keyboard. BlackBerry Blend is also very innovative. I like the companies direction with BBM for all other OSes. BlackBerry could soon offer full integration with its products and Windows and Macs. BlackBerry has to explain this to is potential customers and fans. Plenty of people really want to come back to BlackBerry - but BlackBerry has not given them a reason to as of now.
    Last edited by vtpmt81; 05-04-15 at 04:47 PM.
    Laura Knotek and TgeekB like this.
    05-04-15 01:04 PM
    [deleted in deference to moderator comments]
    05-04-15 01:20 PM
    Yup. But according to certain posters above, if you respond in any way, shape or form to them, you are the reason people are fleeing from BlackBerry and shortsighted.

The simple responses to these sheep herders is to not give them the response they are trying to get from you (an embarrassed apology for not becoming part of the borg) and instead actually question their phone choices in ways they clearly have no answer to.

Revisiting your examples above.....

Interested or curious friend/coworker/acquantance "Oh, is that a BlackBerry?"

A: "Yes....I just got it. It's awesome."

Neutral or slightly passive/aggressive friend/coworker/acquaintance: "Huh, BlackBerry"

A: "Yea, they are still really great, and most people don't know they make awesome phones because they stopped advertising a long time ago. Most folks just know about what they see on TV and what the sales people in the phone stores show them. (Now you're implying that they are - A: actually less informed and not as superior as they thought, and - B: a victim of marketing. Slightly passive agresive response to the slightly passive aggressive initiation.

Downright antagonistic friend/coworker/acquaintance/nemesis: "You still use a BlackBerry... Hahahahahahahha welcome to 2007... get a real phone"

A: "You still use (whatever their phone is)? BlackBerry has made smartphones longer than any other brand, and does things other phones can't. You're a really smart person but I can't believe you didn't know this. But is there something about (whatever their phone is) that you believe somehow makes it a "real phone"? Or do you just feel cool carrying it. (shot across the bow).

A: "Yeah, here, check it out if you like"

Neutral or slightly passive/aggressive friend/coworker/acquaintance: "Huh, BlackBerry"

A: "Yea, I've tried other platforms/devices and this is what works best for me"

Downright antagonistic friend/coworker/acquaintance/nemesis: "You still use a BlackBerry... Hahahahahahahha welcome to 2007... get a real phone"

A: "Haha, hey, I'm not tied to any one brand/ecosystem but I've weighed the options and for something I want to carry with me all the time, I don't see myself switching from my BlackBerry soon as I'm really happy with it. I hope you're really happy with your phone too.
    TgeekB and jmr1015 like this.
    05-04-15 03:05 PM
    No one said that people using iOS are dumb, but someone did say that you don't need to be very smart to use it. However, I think many could easily argue that iOS is somewhat simpler (or "dumbed down" as you put it) with it's basic row of apps and home button and not much else. Yes, it's simple. Yes, it's popular. It was meant for mass appeal. Jobs was a genius.

Have a wonderful day!
    We agree on one thing (and I dont use any Apple products), Jobs was a genius.
    05-04-15 03:38 PM

/rant

Very well said, and you got the analogy correct BTW.
    05-04-15 03:45 PM
    Well I have just talked to a good friend using a BlackBerry too and we're both absolutely convinced that BlackBerry offers the best overall experience. Except for a few annoyances I never miss anything on that system and I just love the keyboard.

As I have said, I usually don't engage in discussions with non tech-savvy people but I'm not afraid of "defending" BlackBerry in any way because I'm sure that I am using an excellent product.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 03:46 PM

A: "Yeah, here, check it out if you like"

A: "Yea, I've tried other platforms/devices and this is what works best for me"

A: "Haha, hey, I'm not tied to any one brand/ecosystem but I've weighed the options and for something I want to carry with me all the time, I don't see myself switching from my BlackBerry soon as I'm really happy with it. I hope you're really happy with your phone too.
    Perfect.
    05-04-15 03:47 PM
    All you have to say is, "It works for me" or "I like it". Done deal.
    TgeekB and vtpmt81 like this.
    05-04-15 04:27 PM
    Very well said, and you got the analogy correct BTW.

/rant

Pretty good analogy - most in state schools hate the state flagship program. Right now - Apple is the flagship phone seller. It is the same with Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, South Carolina-Clemson, Texas-Texas A&M, Michigan-Michigan State, etc. You could agree that Georgia Tech, Florida State, Clemson, Texas A&M, and Michigan State all have very successful athletic programs...but they still hate the state flagship school. I am a Virginia Tech Hokie and we hate the Virginia Cavaliers - it is what it is.

I wish people on here would stop seeing red whenever they see the word iPhone. However, some BlackBerry fans feel the way they do but they feel like they have to defend their phone choice - which is ridiculous. A few people in the company that I work for use BlackBerry phones - and in meetings with clients some of the clients even make fun of that. "Why don't you get an iPhone or a Droid?" "You are still using that?" It is kind of crazy.

Some of the ignorant fanboys of any product are the worst - their phone is better than yours yet they don't know anything about their phone or your phone.
    TgeekB and jmr1015 like this.
    05-04-15 06:07 PM
    A few people in the company that I work for use BlackBerry phones - and in meetings with clients some of the clients even make fun of that. "Why don't you get an iPhone or a Droid?" "You are still using that?" It is kind of crazy.
    And this is what the whole thread is about. Unsolicited criticism of using a BlackBerry and how you as the BB user deal with it. No more, no less.

Cheers,
    05-04-15 07:46 PM
117 ... 2345