hello! i am new here. i got a curve two weeks ago on o2 here in the uk. it has taken me a little while to get my head round using it and i probably have a LOT more to learn. i love it, despite its lack of popularity here, or maybe because of it. it has really tested my brain cells learning how to use it tho, as i have never had a blackberry before and have just jumped in straight from a samsung mobile.
    my main problem so far is, when i go to desktop manager i dont have media manager. i only have four options in the whole thing! just the very basic stuff. why?
    is it my cheap arsed provider giving me a basic package or have i missed something when i loaded the user tools disc on my pc? lol help!! please. thanks

cilla xxx
    03-13-08 03:08 PM
    Hi Cilla welcome to CB!

You should have got the media manager with the Desktop Manager but there is a later version of Desktop manager available that you can download.

I will have a look for it for you.
    03-13-08 03:15 PM
    thanks hazysky!
    03-13-08 03:24 PM
    I think when you installed the version you have you may have missed selecting an option that ensured the media manager was installed so you can either reinstall or use the latest Desktop Manager 4.3.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry - Sys Req V4-3
    03-13-08 03:24 PM
    i did wonder if i had missed something so i re installed it but still no media manager.
    03-13-08 03:25 PM
    That's a bit strange but hopefully you will have more luck with 4.3.

Let us know.
    03-13-08 03:28 PM
    If you are using a media card, you should skip using media manager all together. Just enable mass storage mode in media card options and browse to it with windows explorer.
    03-13-08 03:32 PM
    And I'd also recommend DM 4.2 (SP2) rather than 4.3. There are some other posts in the forums you might want to look at (including one I made today in the 8310 forum about my DM 4.3 issues) before you make a final decision.
    03-13-08 03:40 PM
    I would listen to Mike's advice Cilla as he has more experience with it than I.
    03-13-08 03:54 PM
    thanks again haztsky. am downloading file now but its taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r! internet v v slow this eve

cilla xxx
    03-13-08 04:04 PM
    i dont have a media card...yet. looking to get one soon when i work out which one is the best for me. i have used my mass media storage device but i cant seen to move the photos i took on the camera! am i thick or what? i have moved photos i got from email but not the ones actually taken on the phone! grrr.
    03-13-08 04:11 PM

The File Manager is call Explore. You can use it to copy and move files from device to media card memory.
    03-13-08 04:37 PM
    I would advise you to get an sd card soon as the BB device memory is not the best and you don't want to be using it all up.
    03-13-08 04:47 PM
    i have better luck with a good old fashioned drag and drop style than using the media manager.
    03-13-08 06:20 PM
    thanks everyone for your replies. what a brilliant site this is and you are all very helpful. cool!
    three hours after initiating download i have, ooh ....83%! aarghhh!
    03-13-08 06:39 PM
    i finally got the download at 1am. installed it and....still no media manager. i do have a snazzy new look to desktop manager tho ... i give up! i am going to buy a media card and try that way.
    03-14-08 09:31 AM
    further to my posts i un installed every blackberry file i had and re installed the user tools disc that came with the phone...again no media manager and there is a message to say that this desktop manager does not support my device. huh? what does this mean and who should i contact to cry over the phone to?
    i did have a 1gb media card but i now have a 4bgb in my curve but am none the wiser about how to even get my photos on the card from the device memory. shame there isnt a smiley face for me pulling my hair out. am beginning to think i am a complete dunce.....
    03-19-08 08:21 AM
    For now, I wouldn't worry about DM if your primary concern is loading files to your SD card. The best way to do that is not to use Media Manager. It's best to copy files using Mass Storage as Sunkast suggested. To do so, ensure that your BB is setup in Mass Storage Mode:

Options -> Media Card - Media Card Support -> On
    Options -> Media Card - Mass Storage Mode Support -> On
    Options -> Media Card - Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected -> Yes.

Now, when you connect your BB via USB to your computer, it should appear as a Removable Device in Windows Exlorer and you can drag and drop files there as you would any other hard drive, flash drive, whatever.

To move media files from the BB device memory to the SD card, you can follow the instructions Stoner provided earlier in this thread.
    03-19-08 10:00 AM
    hi everyone,
    i have tried to do all that was suggested and still cant do it. i went to the media explore as suggested by stoner but cant get any further than opening pictures. no options to do anything else. i found the user manual is unhelpful too.
    of course when i go to my pc and open the files, they are empty. i had my son, who works with computers re install the program and he found it was just the same with the bonus of there being no software for my device. good grief!
    03-19-08 07:21 PM
    ...i had my son, ...
    Bring on the experts.

If you can Explore and find the images, that means your SD micro card is working just fine.

Explore is not a fully featured File Manager.

If you open the Media app, you should be able to view and have options to send the picture. Open the folder My Pictures, you should be able to select from the saved images and use Options like: Zoom, Rotate, Fit to screen, Delete, Copy, Move, Rename, Properties and Send As ...
    03-19-08 08:33 PM
    stoner, i like that...bring on the experts...
    ok, please bear with me....
    i open the media app and look at the options.
    help
    up
    view list etc.
    please tell me where the option is to move to media card? all i can do it seems is move picture order and copy pic but only to same file and it says full anyway. i have got another file made but cant find how to move pics to the file i created.
    do you think you could run thru the process for me?
    i think i am developing blackberry tourettes! *&%$$!
    03-20-08 02:58 AM
    good grief!!
    i have finally managed to find out how to move pictures on my device memory to the sd card!!!!. not sure how...a lesson learned about just playing around with the menu and finding your way around i guess. without losing my temper and getting annoyed!

highlight pic>menu>scroll down to 'move' click,
    scroll down to 'explore' click 'memory card' click,
    scroll up to 'move here' and click.
    hey presto the picture gets moved!!

hooray!!! why has it taken me sooo long!! makes me wonder about my abilities to learn new stuff these days. apologies to everyone who tried to help when i just wasnt getting it.

now all i have to do is work out how to stop sent sms and email arriving on my BB. yes i have read posts and tried but havent managed it...yet!

skips off, whistling, into the sunset......
    Last edited by drilakila; 03-21-08 at 09:22 AM.
    03-21-08 09:18 AM
    You got it.

Explore is a very basic file manager. Moving is a little tricky becasue you move UP in stages then back down through the file system.

That was the hard way. The easy way is to plug the device into a PC and use Windows File Manager to do the work.

One wee gotya, There is no Move command. You can accomplish the same thing with Cut and Paste.
    03-21-08 10:10 AM
    one step at a time for me, i think, Stoner!
    the bonus i had too was i connected my BB to my PC and it just uploaded my pics straight into 'my pictures' same as i do from my camera etc etc.
    i did find it the oddest way to navigate through file systems. certainly not what i am used to, that for sure.
    03-21-08 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";