i noticed that my blackberry bold trackball is running smooth
    anyone having same problem?
    05-05-09 01:11 AM
    This is normal. After a few months of use it's going to feel smoother. Notice that the trackball is less likely to give you a blister on your thumb after a while.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-09 01:21 AM
    It's because under that silver ring, the trackball housing sits.. inside are 4 magnetic rollers that need to be cleaned.

Remember the old ball mouse? you'd take the bottom off, and the ball out and you'd see 3 rollers? well, the Blackberry trackball is exactly like that..except it's got 4.. It can be cleaned VERY easily using a q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol.
    05-05-09 10:42 AM
    It's because under that silver ring, the trackball housing sits.. inside are 4 magnetic rollers that need to be cleaned.

Remember the old ball mouse? you'd take the bottom off, and the ball out and you'd see 3 rollers? well, the Blackberry trackball is exactly like that..except it's got 4.. It can be cleaned VERY easily using a q-tip and some isopropyl alcohol.
    Can it be cleaned without taking apart the BB?
    05-05-09 12:51 PM
    Can it be cleaned without taking apart the BB?
    You don't really take it apart, but no it cant..

You lift off the silver ring, you can remove it with a paper clip.. then flip the BB upside down and the whole trackball housing (1 piece), falls out and the 4 magnetic rollers are exposed.. gently clean them off, put the housing back in, snap the ring back in.

It takes all of maybe 2-3 minutes, and less once you get comfortable with it.
    05-05-09 01:07 PM
    Well I took off ring and 3 prong feet broke and now the ring won't sit flat

05-05-09 04:54 PM
    under the ring is 3 sets of 2 clips that hold the ring down.. there's only one way the ring goes in, I believe 2 sets on the outside and one set towards the keyboard.. might need to fidget with it a little bit to get it flat.
    05-05-09 04:56 PM
    Yes but with 3 missing it won't stay on unless I move it one direction which makes the top unlevel.

05-05-09 05:06 PM
    Actually 4 broke when I lifted it off.

05-05-09 05:08 PM
    Ouch! Sorry man.. =(

Might be able to find a replacement cheap online, I hope.
    05-05-09 05:14 PM
    Mine is very smooth every once in a while it gets stuck.
    05-05-09 07:17 PM

I wish it was exactly like that, then I wouldn't need a degree in micro engineering to take it apart and clean it. Especially the Bolds trackball, that thing is ridiculous.

05-05-09 08:41 PM
    I like it rolling smooth
    05-06-09 04:58 AM
    I wish it was exactly like that, then I wouldn't need a degree in micro engineering to take it apart and clean it. Especially the Bolds trackball, that thing is ridiculous.

It is exactly like that, except the Bolds.. waiting for the one I have to get out of warranty before I go taking it apart. =P
    05-06-09 10:41 AM
    isnt there a video guide to cleaning the blackberry 'ball' somewhere? been trying to you-tube it~
    05-06-09 12:15 PM
    I like the trackball to roll smoothly and quietly......

05-06-09 02:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD