I am seeing a lot of techsites say that BlackBerry Smartphones have Carrier IQ on them.

As a Hybrid tester and tweaker, I have yet to see something called Carrier IQ.

So. Can anyone say they have found a Carrier IQ .cod?

And, if so, what applications do you have?

I have a hard time trusting that it is an issue on BlackBerry.
    12-01-11 06:10 PM
    See, everything I've seen says that BlackBerry Smartphones do not have Carrier IQ on them. RIM released a statement stating that they do not load Carrier IQ on their devices, and that vendors who sell BlackBerrys are not authorized to load Carrier IQ on the devices.

That being said, I haven't seen anything, but I don't really dig into my OS. I figure since VZW has announced that they do not load Carrier IQ on their devices, and RIM doesn't load it on their devices, I'll take their word for it that I don't have it on my BB...

http://crackberry.com/research-motio...%80%99t-either
    Last edited by elvin1983; 12-01-11 at 06:30 PM.
    12-01-11 06:28 PM
    Does anyone know where to look? If it's difficult to find on Android, then it must take some time on a BlackBerry to locate it, if it does in fact show up under the applications list.

I'm on AT&T, who admit to their usage of Carrier IQ on phones. It isn't located in my list of applications, nor is it in my OS system files. There's no service book for it either, from what I can tell.

I use a 9810 with OS 7.0.0.540 released by Vodafone UK. Since this app has only been found on American phones, would BlackBerries loaded with official OSs from non-American carriers have Carrier IQ erased, if it existed on the phone at all?
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 12-01-11 at 06:43 PM.
    12-01-11 06:41 PM
    look in the other thread about it. Someone went to the CarrierIQ website and downloaded the OTA App and said it was easy to find and it asked for tons of permissions. I can't remember what the file was called once installed though.
    12-01-11 07:06 PM
    I just installed Sprint's latest version of OS6, and it seems snappier. Hopefully it's because Sprint removed Carrier IQ to avoid class action lawsuits.

Subscribed.
    12-01-11 07:20 PM
    I'm on AT&T, who admit to their usage of Carrier IQ on phones. It isn't located in my list of applications, nor is it in my OS system files. There's no service book for it either, from what I can tell.
    I'm on Sprint who admits using it, too. I'm hoping that that's limited to non-BlackBerry devices.
    12-01-11 07:27 PM
    I'm on Sprint who admits using it, too. I'm hoping that that's limited to non-BlackBerry devices.
    I doubt it's on BlackBerry, though. I think what Eckhart meant when he said Carrier IQ is found on BlackBerry is that there is an app for BlackBerry that the end-user can download, but it isn't pre-installed on our phones by our carriers. At least, I hope that's what he meant.

I have a lot of faith in RIM, though, that they wouldn't compromise the security of the most secure mobile platform ever to be built!
    12-01-11 07:36 PM
    I doubt it's on BlackBerry, though. I think what Eckhart meant when he said Carrier IQ is found on BlackBerry is that there is an app for BlackBerry that the end-user can download, but it isn't pre-installed on our phones by our carriers. At least, I hope that's what he meant.

I have a lot of faith in RIM, though, that they wouldn't compromise the security of the most secure mobile platform ever to be built!
    sprint says my blackberry has it and that THEY put it in, not rim
    12-01-11 09:22 PM
    sprint says my blackberry has it and that THEY put it in, not rim
    Can you find it? I'm really curious to see how one would find it, seeing as it seems that no one has been able to.

You're right, it is Sprint's doing. But with RIM saying that it hasn't authorized the carriers to do so, it means that Sprint did it behind RIM's back.
    12-01-11 09:51 PM
    Can you find it? I'm really curious to see how one would find it, seeing as it seems that no one has been able to.

You're right, it is Sprint's doing. But with RIM saying that it hasn't authorized the carriers to do so, it means that Sprint did it behind RIM's back.
    i cant find anything related to it..not in the service books, not in the files, nothing
    12-01-11 10:08 PM
    There's still a small glimmer of hope. You might have got a rep who was wrong. Perhaps Sprint installed it on other phones and the rep simply assumed it was on BlackBerries also ...
    12-01-11 10:14 PM
    There's still a small glimmer of hope. You might have got a rep who was wrong. Perhaps Sprint installed it on other phones and the rep simply assumed it was on BlackBerries also ...
    i asked him to check if mine has it, and he said yes. they have a log of it. and today they had a briefing about it and how to handle the questions coming in. that's what the rep said
    12-01-11 10:22 PM
    i cant find anything related to it..not in the service books, not in the files, nothing
    Really, I wonder if it's built into something else like Navigation?
    12-01-11 10:23 PM
    i asked him to check if mine has it, and he said yes. they have a log of it. and today they had a briefing about it and how to handle the questions coming in. that's what the rep said
    In that case, it's necessary to find out what can be done about it. Can it be deactivated or removed?
    12-01-11 10:25 PM
    In that case, it's necessary to find out what can be done about it. Can it be deactivated or removed?
    1stly, can it be found?!
    12-01-11 10:28 PM
    1stly, can it be found?!
    Well, Sprint would know how. I mean they should be able to tell us, or have the BlackBerries been rooted beyond repair?
    12-01-11 10:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD