I'm looking at upgrading from the 83xx to the 85xx Curve and my question is I currently don't have the data package I only have the e-mail/text package, if I go with the 85xx without the data package is the wifi still going to work or did they block it and force you to take the data plan?
    04-12-10 06:45 PM
    WiFi will work. For some things.

Many apps will not work over WiFi without a data plan, though.
    04-12-10 07:08 PM
    Wifi will allow you to use the Hotspot Browser, but it will not allow you to use third party software that requires access to data.

You will need to upgrade your plan.
    04-12-10 07:12 PM
    Beware of sliding your SIM card in a 'Berry and just using it without a data plan. Many companies (AT&T and Verizon, first and foremost) will add the appropriate data package to your account if they detect a BlackBerry IMEI.
    04-12-10 07:16 PM
    can you give me a example of a few apps that might not work, wondering about facebook for example?
    04-13-10 06:08 AM
    I would think Facebook would be one of the apps that wouldn't work without a data plan. It uses RIM's servers and push services, so RIM would be aware of attempting using their service without a registered data plan. I think it would be the same for all the native IM apps as well (anything that uses push).

Some apps have wifi modes. You'll just have to research which apps have the option to use wifi.
    04-13-10 06:48 AM
    04-13-10 06:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD